Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Shawls and Scarves
 Dayflower Lace Scarf - help stop curling!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Two Sticks and a String
Permanent Resident

USA
1453 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2005 :  10:50:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit Two Sticks and a String's Homepage Send Two Sticks and a String a Private Message
I just completed the Dayflower Lace Scarf as my very first lace project. I am having a problem over the finished article and perhaps someone here can shed some insight as to where I went wrong and offer some way to correct it.

After about the first 15 minutes of wearing the scarf.. it seems to curl up into itself and is now a tube rather than a flat scarf! You can't see all the beautiful lace that I spent days knitting!

I used the Lamb's Pride Cotton Fleece as suggested in the pattern. I soaked the scarf for about 15 minutes, to assure that it was thoroughly wet, squeezed out the excess water and spread the scarf out on my dining room rug and pinned it to place. I let it stay there for over 24 hours.

Is it just the yarn that I used (cotton) and shouldn't expect any other results? Is it that I didn't let it sit pinned for long enough time? Should I press it with a bit of spray starch?

Any assistance or suggestions would be greatly appreciated....

Dorene
"You have been my friend. That in itself is a tremendous thing. I wove my webs for you because I liked you. After all, what's a life, anyway? We're born, we live a little while, we die. A spider's life can't help being something of a mess, with all this trapping and eating flies. By helping you, perhaps I was trying to lift up my life a trifle. Heaven knows anyone's life can stand a little of that."
Charlotte "Charlotte's Web"

Two Sticks and a String
Permanent Resident

USA
1453 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2005 :  7:00:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit Two Sticks and a String's Homepage Send Two Sticks and a String a Private Message
Hello!?!.....Anyone?????

Dorene
"You have been my friend. That in itself is a tremendous thing. I wove my webs for you because I liked you. After all, what's a life, anyway? We're born, we live a little while, we die. A spider's life can't help being something of a mess, with all this trapping and eating flies. By helping you, perhaps I was trying to lift up my life a trifle. Heaven knows anyone's life can stand a little of that."

Go to Top of Page

KnitSSK
Seriously Hooked

USA
656 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2005 :  7:29:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit KnitSSK's Homepage Send KnitSSK a Private Message
do you have a picture or pattern so that we can evaluate it?

Martha

Wanting to be knitting, not working...
Go to Top of Page

rather be knitting
Seriously Hooked

USA
954 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2005 :  8:44:49 PM  Show Profile Send rather be knitting a Private Message
Hi Dorene -- So sorry to hear about your problem with Dayflower. It is a lovely pattern and i was about to start one when i read your post. Now i'm waiting for replies too ;-) I hope some one here can shed some light on the cause -- and more importatnly, suggest a solution.
claire
Go to Top of Page

Two Sticks and a String
Permanent Resident

USA
1453 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2005 :  01:49:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit Two Sticks and a String's Homepage Send Two Sticks and a String a Private Message
This is the link...

http://tmooka.net/blogs/stitchingirl/patterns/DayflowerScarf.pdf

Thanks for any assistance!

Dorene

Go to Top of Page

KimC
Warming Up

76 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2005 :  07:08:29 AM  Show Profile Send KimC a Private Message
I don't know anything about it but I remember this thread about 5 lace scarves, one of them being Dayflower. Maybe you could contact the author (Beckyh) about blocking....
http://www.knittersreview.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=47539

Here's the link to her photo album...
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/beckyharb/detail?.dir=/4fc6&.dnm=2d0cre2.jpg&.src=ph

Good luck!
KimC
Go to Top of Page

roofth
Seriously Hooked

USA
649 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2005 :  1:08:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit roofth's Homepage  Send roofth a Yahoo! Message Send roofth a Private Message
hi, i did the dayflower awhile back (picture is here: http://ruthknits.blogspot.com/2005/07/fo-dayflower-lace-scarf.html)

i used the same recommended yarn (brown sheep cotton fleece) and i vaguely remember some curling and it was a bit kinked out, but after i wet-blocked (immersing it totally in water) and pinned it to dry completely, it was fine. usually with lace, it will need a good blocking to straighten things out. with this particular scarf, not every single row has the same number of stitches, so some curling/kinks are normal (if you look closely at my picture, you'll see that the scarf ends up "wavy" and not straight on the sides, which is what is the intended end result, if i recall). but it's totally not a problem at all - it will generally solve itself out through a good blocking (wet-blocking, if necessary).

if you still have problems or questions on it, don't hesitate to contact toni (the author of the pattern) through her blog. she's really nice and i'm sure she can help you out!

========================
http://ruthknits.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Beckyh
Gabber Extraordinaire

471 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2005 :  1:57:43 PM  Show Profile Send Beckyh a Private Message
When I blocked the scarf, I did totally immerse it and then lay it out flat until totally dry. However, since I am giving it to my daughter for Christmas it hasn't been worn yet. So, I don't know if she will have the curling problem. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

Becky
Go to Top of Page

Two Sticks and a String
Permanent Resident

USA
1453 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2005 :  07:06:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit Two Sticks and a String's Homepage Send Two Sticks and a String a Private Message
Kim, Ruth, and Becky..

Thanks for responding and offering your assistance.
Perhaps, I didn't let it soak for long enough in the water.
I will attempt again.
Thanks again.

Dorene

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.59 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?