Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A new whodunit about a true yarn whisperer
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Spinner Central
 Fiber Sources and Discussion
 Recipe for sock yarn?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Valk_scot
Permanent Resident

United Kingdom
1281 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2005 :  06:27:41 AM  Show Profile Send Valk_scot a Private Message
Ok, I`ve decided to link up my latest obsession...sock knitting...with my obsession of longer standing, spinning. I want to make some sock yarn.

So has anyone any favourite combinations of fibre for this? I want to make socks thin enough to go under boots, reasonably hardwearing, colour not important at this moment in that natural will do. I`ve only knitted 4ply socks so far, so will be aiming for this sort of weight of yarn. (Not a problem on my new Mazurka, yeah!)

I`ve got most fibres in stock....exotics like silk, alpaca, angora etc etc, nylon fibre to add to the blend and several types of sheep wool. Of the last I have more Shetland than anything else but that might be too soft to wear well?

So any "recipes" for yarn would be greatly appreciated. And...am I right in thinking that you need about 400 yards of yarn for an average pair if adult socks?

Val.

[img]http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/26/26_9_21.gif[/img]

Shelia
Permanent Resident

USA
2362 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2005 :  06:42:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shelia's Homepage Send Shelia a Private Message
I like to use either down wools or longwools, then add mohair or silk at a proportion of about 15-20%. You can use these in place of the nylon, they add the same kind of reinforcement that nylon does.

The other thing I do is card all the odds and ends of fiber from workshops and dyeing experiments together, adding the mohair or silk, and spin this for socks. The socks that won a first at Rhinebeck were blended this way - an ounce or two of chestnut-dyed Cotswold, some gray Icelandic, some red colonial wool, a little soft white wool from a swap, and a half ounce of hot pink silk. The yarn is a heathered rose, and the socks are wonderful to wear, and should last forever.

I also sometimes card up two batches, especially when I use nylon fiber, one batch of about 75-100 yards for the toes and heels, and the other batch without the nylon for the instep and cuff. This is especially nice with a fine fiber, so that the wonderful softness isn't diluted by the nylon.

Shelia
www.letstalkstash.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2005 :  06:54:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message
The only other thing I would add (while furiously writing down Shelia's advice for myself) is that I find it easier to use weight as a measurement than yardage when I'm spinning. That is, a pair of socks is about 100g or 4oz - if I can get that much fiber, and spin it to sock weight, I should have enough. That's easier for me than shooting for a yardage, because it's so difficult to tell how many yards you've already spun, and then factor in plying yardage lost....

"Choose your friends by their character and your socks by their color. Choosing your socks by their character makes no sense, and choosing your friends by their color is unthinkable."
http://RoseByAny.BlogSpot.Com
Go to Top of Page

Valk_scot
Permanent Resident

United Kingdom
1281 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2005 :  08:01:13 AM  Show Profile Send Valk_scot a Private Message
I just love the idea of using up all the small samples of this and that as a base fibre. I`m always buying sample bags of fibre so I can sniff it and fiddle around with it. Usually I end up spinning a mini-skein and the rest sits in the stash and mopes. Or someone gives me a double handfull of fibre to try.

And mohair? Never thought of mohair for socks. Just shows what I know....I always think of mohair as delicate fluffy stuff. I do have a pound of unwashed mohair that a friend sent me a couple of months ago though, so that should help make a few pairs of socks, no?

(I just can`t wait for Christmas to arrive so I can get my hands on my drum carder.....)

Val.

[img]http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/26/26_9_21.gif[/img]
Go to Top of Page

Shelia
Permanent Resident

USA
2362 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2005 :  09:46:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shelia's Homepage Send Shelia a Private Message
Mohair is TOUGH! I am one who usually "breaks" yarn, commercial or handspun, instead of using scissors to cut it when I am knitting. Ever try to do that with a mohair blend? I sometimes try it without thinking, and end up with sore fingers, and still-connected yarn. Silk is also almost impossible to pull apart, so I guess it kind of makes sense that they both work well as reinforcing fiber.

Shelia
www.letstalkstash.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

pugsweater
Gabber Extraordinaire

452 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2005 :  2:48:03 PM  Show Profile Send pugsweater a Private Message
no suggestion in that aspect but the mention of your mazurka had me perk up! dun't you just love her? what finish is she?

Pugknits Blog
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.41 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?