Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A new whodunit about a true yarn whisperer
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Tool Talk
 Needles
 Using circular instead of double pointed for mitte
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

kathylea
New Pal

Canada
7 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2005 :  10:10:53 AM  Show Profile Send kathylea a Private Message
Can you substitute any mitten pattern that say uses 3 double pointed kneedles and substitute with a circular instead. having trouble with working with the three kneedles . I have a mitted pattern and wanted to use it so bad and tryed but failed . I thought that circular kneedle would be better any help would be appreciated . If anyone knew of a pattern for mittens for women using a circular that would be great to. ty so very much kathylea

COgirl
Permanent Resident

USA
2176 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2005 :  11:08:54 AM  Show Profile Send COgirl a Private Message
I've only done mittens with dpns but that was before I learned magic loop. Magic loop could work for mittens. Not sure about the thumb, however.
Go to Top of Page

kdavies
Warming Up

USA
60 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2005 :  11:11:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit kdavies's Homepage  Send kdavies a Yahoo! Message Send kdavies a Private Message
Check out this page on magic loop. It's a little annoying for something as small as a thumb, but it does work.

Magic Loop

Kathy
http://homepage.mac.com/kdavies/knittingnoodles.html

The Lord says: "Get ready to be Amazed, for I will do great things; you would not believe them if you were told." Habakkuk 1:5
Go to Top of Page

Luann
Permanent Resident

USA
2662 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2005 :  12:20:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit Luann's Homepage Send Luann a Private Message
I use two circs for all my mittens and socks now. I find it much easier for thumbs than magic loop, but that's just me.

Luann

Knit and let knit!
Go to Top of Page

kathylea
New Pal

Canada
7 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2005 :  04:34:48 AM  Show Profile Send kathylea a Private Message
ty everyone . I have never used to circulars before. Its worth a shot tho i quess ty so much. its hard to find a small 6 inch circular here for the mittens. they say thats the one to use lol ty so much will give this a shot. ty kathy for you sugestion to. almost looks like to circulars needles . kathylea and ty
Go to Top of Page

Shelia
Permanent Resident

USA
2362 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2005 :  06:07:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shelia's Homepage Send Shelia a Private Message
I have a little 8" Clover plastic circular that I used for mittens last week, and after adjusting to the needle length and small diameter, I did finish very quickly. It took about 1/2 an inch of knitting (sportweight) to feel okay, but after that it was a breeze.

I bought these little needles in #4 and #6 a couple of years ago, but hadn't really tried to use them before.

Shelia
www.letstalkstash.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

kathylea
New Pal

Canada
7 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2005 :  09:00:55 AM  Show Profile Send kathylea a Private Message
wow I havent been able to find the 4 and 6 inch ones in canada anywere. were did you get them do you no. lol what a find. ty so much kathylea
Go to Top of Page

kitkatknit
Chatty Knitter

184 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2005 :  1:38:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit kitkatknit's Homepage Send kitkatknit a Private Message
I use 2 circs just like socks. Remember, mittens are just socks for the hands. 'cept they have a thumb where the heel should be....

http://spaces.msn.com/members/joyofspin/

Go to Top of Page

elizh
Permanent Resident

USA
1248 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2005 :  1:58:17 PM  Show Profile Send elizh a Private Message
Kathylea, if you have never knitted with circular needles before, and have had trouble with double points, using circular needles on a short cable is probably not the easiest ones to start learning on. This is because there is not much room for hand movement with such a short cable. Knitting on them will feel "pinchy" to hold and discouraging. By the way, I think shelia was referring to size 4 and 6, not 4 and 6 inch long needles.

I suggest maybe using 4 double points and knitting with a fifth needle, and using bamboo or wooden needles because they are not as slippery and your work won't slide off as easily. As many veteran double point knitters have said here before, remember that you are still only knitting with two needles. The other ones are simply holding your work. Just divide your stitches on 4 needles instead of 3 and knit with the fifth needle.

Alternatively, you can use two circular needles. Then the cable can be any length. You simply knit halfway around your mitten with one circular needle, and then knit the other half with the other circular needle.

Finally, another alternative is to find a pattern for two needle mittens, which are simply done on regular needles and then sewn together.

If you are a relatively new knitter, mittens are not the easiest thing to knit. Actually, I think a sweater is easier, actually.

Sorry, if I have sounded discouraging, but I always want people to keep knitting. I don't want you to get turned off because you picked the wrong project, or bought hard to use tools.
Go to Top of Page

kathylea
New Pal

Canada
7 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2005 :  4:56:13 PM  Show Profile Send kathylea a Private Message
Ty all. I have knitted quite alot before and am just getting back into knitting . I done 2 pairs of mittens on 3 kneedles with the 4th as a traveler kneedle. maybe someday i will attempt the 2 circular. but i sure ty all for any help.
Go to Top of Page

Northside Knitter
New Pal

14 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2005 :  4:48:55 PM  Show Profile Send Northside Knitter a Private Message
I too began using the Clover circulars for knitting wrist warmers for Christmas gifts this year. I am able to quickly make a pair in hours. I found mine online at www.worldknit.com and received them very quickly in the mail.

They have 8.25" (http://www.worldknit.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=1&Product_Code=bry_51-44&Category_Code=k_n_cir) and 12" (http://www.worldknit.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=1&Product_Code=bry_51-46&Category_Code=k_n_cir)
available. The smaller ones are $4.25 and the larger ones are $4.50 each.

Diane
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.59 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?