Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Photos and wisdom from the Knitter's Review Retreat
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Yarn Talk
 Never Again!
 Silky Tweed
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

CPAknit
Seriously Hooked

USA
748 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2005 :  09:20:11 AM  Show Profile Send CPAknit a Private Message
After knitting a sweater for my husband in elsebeth lavold "Silky Tweed", I am so disappointed. After carefully getting gauge - many gauge swatches, washing and blocking the swatches, the sweater is going to be one that stretches and sags while being worn. It's a shame one can spend all of that time and money and end up with a problem sweater. Just proves that spending good money on what you think is high quality yarn does not alway result in a high quality sweater.

Cindy
http://cpaknit.typepad.com/can_a_cpa_be_a_knitter_ca/

RachelKnitter
Permanent Resident

USA
2995 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2005 :  09:34:45 AM  Show Profile Send RachelKnitter a Private Message
I think the weight and nature of the silk makes this a very drapey yarn with less memory than a 100% wool yarn. I don't think that makes it poor quality, just not suitable for all types of projects. It's definitely for items where a little extra drape would be an asset. I personally love the stuff--I'd snort it if I could!

--------
You are about to be told one more time that you are America’s most valuable natural resource. Have you seen what they do to valuable natural resources? -Utah Phillips, addressing a group of young people

Poetry reading group: http://crazylanea.typepad.com/eating_poetry/
Go to Top of Page

knittynoddy
Gabber Extraordinaire

460 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2005 :  09:53:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit knittynoddy's Homepage Send knittynoddy a Private Message
This is a good lesson in choosing yarn for a project! Silky Tweed is 70% non-elastic, no-memory fiber (40% silk, 30% cotton). Silk drapes, cotton can be heavy. There is only 20% merino in silky tweed. It is a beautiful yarn!
Evelyn
Go to Top of Page

RachelKnitter
Permanent Resident

USA
2995 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2005 :  3:40:25 PM  Show Profile Send RachelKnitter a Private Message
Oops, I was confused. I thought we were talking about Silky Wool which is 35% silk and 65% wool. I wouldn't want to knit with a primarily cotton/silk blend either--nothing to do with the yarn, I just like fibers with more give. I'll butt out now...

--------
You are about to be told one more time that you are America’s most valuable natural resource. Have you seen what they do to valuable natural resources? -Utah Phillips, addressing a group of young people

Poetry reading group: http://crazylanea.typepad.com/eating_poetry/
Go to Top of Page

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2005 :  3:50:59 PM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message
If you don't want it I'll swap some of my stash for it. I love the yarn.

"An injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Martin Luther King Jr.
www.femiknits.blog-city.com
Go to Top of Page

CPAknit
Seriously Hooked

USA
748 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2005 :  08:33:57 AM  Show Profile Send CPAknit a Private Message
Thanks for all of the comments- Guess I picked the wrong yarn! - Instead of looking at all of the sweaters designed by elsebeth lavold for this yarn- I should have polled this group- Mokey- I can't swap- the sweater is all knitted up (I do have a couple of extra skeins if you are interested). To bad for my husband- I told him if I spent the time to knit him a sweater - he would have to wear it once a week for the rest of his life, and be buried in it!

Cindy
http://cpaknit.typepad.com/can_a_cpa_be_a_knitter_ca/
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.28 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.