Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Reader's Corner
 Knitting Magazines
 Decisions, decisions!!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

kdavies
Warming Up

USA
60 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2005 :  11:47:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit kdavies's Homepage  Send kdavies a Yahoo! Message Send kdavies a Private Message
I want opinions. My husband is trying to limit me to only ONE knitting magazine subscription next year. How will I ever choose??

If you could only get ONE, which one would it be, of all the mags out there?

Kathy
http://homepage.mac.com/kdavies/knittingnoodles.html

The Lord says: "Get ready to be Amazed, for I will do great things; you would not believe them if you were told." Habakkuk 1:5

RobA
Permanent Resident

2373 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2005 :  11:55:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit RobA's Homepage Send RobA a Private Message
Interweave Knits, and regular trips to Barnes and Noble to buy individual issues of other magazines if they have patterns I like.
On the other hand, I just went through several years of back issues of several magazines, finding several patterns I am ready to jump in to now. The magazines continue to be of value.

Rob http://roberta.typepad.com/robknits/
Go to Top of Page

AgnesB
Permanent Resident

USA
1152 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2005 :  1:40:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit AgnesB's Homepage Send AgnesB a Private Message
I agree with Rob ... another plus for Interweave Knits is that they have subscriber-only patterns.

[img]http://photos3.flickr.com/6944418_c76df65d6c_m.jpg[/img]
Knitting in the Valley My Kitty Album
Everyone ought to worship God according to his own inclinations, and not to be constrained by force.
-Flavius Josephus
Go to Top of Page

fillyjonk
Permanent Resident

1127 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2005 :  2:12:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit fillyjonk's Homepage Send fillyjonk a Private Message
My vote would be for Interweave as well. Two reasons: they tend to have a greater mix of patterns (accessories as well as larger projects) and they are less "faddish" and less in thrall to the novelty yarns of the world.

also they tend to have a wider range of pattern sizes (both on the small and the big end) than some other mag's, that might not be a consideration for you.
Go to Top of Page

minh
Permanent Resident and Destasher Extraordinnaire

USA
3458 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2005 :  3:48:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit minh's Homepage Send minh a Private Message
Another vote for Interweave Knits! I find more patterns that I want to knit than in other magazines and the technical articles are always useful and should be kept.

--Minh
Go to Top of Page

kdavies
Warming Up

USA
60 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2005 :  6:13:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit kdavies's Homepage  Send kdavies a Yahoo! Message Send kdavies a Private Message
What about Rowan?

Kathy

The Lord says: "Get ready to be Amazed, for I will do great things; you would not believe them if you were told." Habakkuk 1:5
Go to Top of Page

AgnesB
Permanent Resident

USA
1152 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2005 :  02:40:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit AgnesB's Homepage Send AgnesB a Private Message
Rowan increased the subscription fee for US to $55 ... I think that's a bit expensive. Besides the 2 half-yearly magazines can be a bit shaky ... I mean some people may really dislike everything in an issue completely.

[img]http://photos3.flickr.com/6944418_c76df65d6c_m.jpg[/img]
Knitting in the Valley My Kitty Album
Everyone ought to worship God according to his own inclinations, and not to be constrained by force.
-Flavius Josephus
Go to Top of Page

kdavies
Warming Up

USA
60 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2005 :  07:46:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit kdavies's Homepage  Send kdavies a Yahoo! Message Send kdavies a Private Message
That's true...the free yarn you get with the subscription makes up for it a bit, but it IS still pretty expensive.

Kathy

Go to Top of Page

caeebe
Chatty Knitter

346 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2005 :  09:52:22 AM  Show Profile Send caeebe a Private Message
I was thinking about getting Rebecca now that is it in English, but I think I would miss the articles from Interweave.
Go to Top of Page

azknitter
Honorary Angel

5539 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2005 :  11:16:12 AM  Show Profile Send azknitter a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by kdavies

I want opinions. My husband is trying to limit me to only ONE knitting magazine subscription next year. How will I ever choose??

If he amuses you, I say keep him! ...*ba dump bump*

Just kidding. I like too many knitting magazines to make a choice for only one of them. To make things more difficult, there isn't only one magazaine that's so consistently good that I'd be willing to limit myself to a subscription to it alone.

That's why I go to Border's to check them all out and pick out only the ones with patterns and/or information I know I'll actually use.

It costs a bit more per issue that way...but, I only buy what I actually want so maybe it doesn't really cost more in the long run.

Trish
Go to Top of Page

kdavies
Warming Up

USA
60 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2005 :  11:23:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit kdavies's Homepage  Send kdavies a Yahoo! Message Send kdavies a Private Message
LOL...Yeah, he's quite amusing. He's also a great cook, so he's not going anywhere!

That's an idea...one of the ones I usually like only one or two out of is Creative Knitting. I'm definitely dropping it, but will check it out at Barnes & Noble. Vogue is the same way...too, um, odd for me sometimes.

Kathy
Knitting Noodles

Go to Top of Page

SnowPurls
New Pal

USA
36 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2005 :  1:53:32 PM  Show Profile Send SnowPurls a Private Message
Interweave is a good magazine, but in my opinion, most knitting magazines nowadays, are using same group of designers, so stylewise, not very difference from issue to issue. I can guess who designed the sweater in the Interweave after only 2 issues of subscription. Other magazines have the problem, too. I wish these magazines are more open to public contributions. Lucky me, my local AC Moore carries most of the knitting magazines out there. I can preview each before I buy it.

Snow
Go to Top of Page

KarenB
Seriously Hooked

750 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2005 :  10:50:30 AM  Show Profile Send KarenB a Private Message
I'd vote for a little talk with the husband who wants to control your magazine subscriptions.

Karen
My knitting photos: http://photobucket.com/albums/a100/karenknits/
My blog: http://dispatchesfromtheinterior.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

kdavies
Warming Up

USA
60 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2005 :  1:25:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit kdavies's Homepage  Send kdavies a Yahoo! Message Send kdavies a Private Message
LOL...yeah...but he's right...we have SO many magazine subscriptions and so many of them are barely used. I may try to wiggle 2 subscriptions out of him, though...I DO so love Rowan...

Kathy
Knitting Noodles

Go to Top of Page

RobA
Permanent Resident

2373 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2005 :  5:50:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit RobA's Homepage Send RobA a Private Message
I have learned to keep a short rein on all my subscriptions, though mostly because I hate tying magazines together for recycling. Not a problem with the knitting magazines, since I keep them all. At one point I really wanted subs to IK, Vogue AND Knitters. I have dropped my subs to Knitters and to Vogue, buying them only after browsing through them at Barnes & Noble or a LYS. But the magazines I throw away after reading? The only sub I have kept is to the New Yorker. IK and the New Yorker. I love getting the mail!

Rob http://roberta.typepad.com/robknits/
Go to Top of Page

COgirl
Permanent Resident

USA
2176 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2005 :  6:03:28 PM  Show Profile Send COgirl a Private Message
I am so glad that you posted this. I've been getting Vogue for a few years and just picked up my very first copy of Interweave the other day. I like it so much better than Vogue. Perhaps it was just this issue, but I think I rarely see things in Vogue that I'd like to knit. So I am thinking about getting a sub to IK now. (But will I not renew the other??? hmmmm)

Now a really good husband would give you a subscription for Christmas! Of course, I do wonder if he's not being a bit of a control freak here. Do you have something in your past that you're not telling us about?
Go to Top of Page

kdavies
Warming Up

USA
60 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2005 :  6:41:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit kdavies's Homepage  Send kdavies a Yahoo! Message Send kdavies a Private Message
LOL...wow, cogirl, you hit the nail on the head...I'm a bit of a shopaholic. We're trying to cut down on spending to pay for my latest spree. :)

But, truly, how many patterns can one person knit? I'm pretty spoiled, so I'm not too worried about the magazine mortorium. Just want to make sure I keep the right one(s)!

Kathy
Knitting Noodles

Go to Top of Page

SpinaYarn
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
492 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2005 :  10:56:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit SpinaYarn's Homepage Send SpinaYarn a Private Message
What a cad!

knit with joy-
Teyani

www.http://intrepidfiberwizard.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Atavistic
Permanent Resident

6604 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2005 :  06:11:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit Atavistic's Homepage Send Atavistic a Private Message
Why, exactly, are we beating up this guy and calling him a cad when we don't know the whole story?

So far she's told us that she's a shopaholic and that they're trying to cut down on money to pay for her latest spree. She also says that she's pretty spoiled and that the magazines that they do get are going to waste.

And we haven't even gotten his side. Nor have we found out whether this year was financially tight, whether someone got sick or injured, whether they're unable to pay other bills, etc.

OK. So, I repeat, why are we bashing her husband when she says that she understands why he's asking her to limit herself to one ("yeah...but he's right")?

Amanda

"Is that my Not-Mine Sweater? Whoever gets that Not-Mine Sweater is very lucky."
Go to Top of Page

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2005 :  06:36:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message
Yup, Amanda:

quote:
Originally posted by kdavies

My husband is trying to limit me to only ONE knitting magazine subscription next year.

This is not controlling language, this is compromising language. Controlling would be "my husband says I can only get one."

If you aren't responsible for paying her bills or cleaning her house or taking out her trash/ recycle, you don't get to call "trying to limit" controlling!

Now, I would say Interweave Knits, but Vogue would be my second choice. Myself, I have been gifted a subscription to Spin Off, and buy IK and Vogue after perusing in the store....

"Choose your friends by their character and your socks by their color. Choosing your socks by their character makes no sense, and choosing your friends by their color is unthinkable."
http://RoseByAny.BlogSpot.Com
Go to Top of Page

franna724
Seriously Hooked

USA
633 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2005 :  06:52:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit franna724's Homepage Send franna724 a Private Message
I'm close to the end of my subscriptions to Interweave and Vogue. This was the first time I'd ever subscribed to a knitting magazine. I don't want to carry both subscriptions because new patterns that I like come out every day, and there's no way that I can knit them all. So I'm choosing Interweave.

I looked at all of the issues of both that I've received and marked the patterns that I could actually see myself knitting--not just those that I liked.

Then I noticed that most of the marked patterns were in Interweave, and there were more than one in each issue.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.91 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?