Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Photos and wisdom from the Knitter's Review Retreat
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Shop Talk
 Yarn Stores Around the Globe
 Hawaii shops?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

RoseM
Permanent Resident

Canada
1898 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2005 :  6:46:45 PM  Show Profile Send RoseM a Private Message
Not many days now and we're off for our 20th Anniversary - can't believe it. We'll be in Honolulu, Maui and the Big Island. Have any of you found and visited any shops there? What sort of things do they carry (want to know which patterns to have in mind). Even if the yarn isn't any 'different' than what's available here, it would be nice to get some as my souvenir.
Hope to hear from you - thanks so much,
RoseM

blwinteler
Permanent Resident

USA
3145 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2005 :  8:46:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit blwinteler's Homepage  Send blwinteler a Yahoo! Message Send blwinteler a Private Message
I wasn't knitting when I lived there, so I don't know what they have. I know Kona didn't have a whole lot for craft stuff, but somehow we managed to find fabric and stuff for theater things (Kona is on the Big Island, which is where I grew up), so they must have something. A woman in my knitting group is from Oahu, so I can ask her if she knows of anything. I'll let you know what I find out.

Take care!
Brandy

My finished projects

We are but 8 score young blondes and brunettes... all between 16 and 19-and-a-half... cut off in this castle with no one to protect us! Oh... it is a lonely life. Bathing... dressing... undressing... knitting exciting underwear ....(Monty Python and the Holy Grail, Tale of Sir Galahad)
Go to Top of Page

knottyknitter
Permanent Resident

USA
3702 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2005 :  11:03:11 PM  Show Profile Send knottyknitter a Private Message
I've looked in Maui and not been very excited about what I found there. There was a small shop in Lahaina, but it had far less than I would find at home.
Go to Top of Page

myshelle10
Permanent Resident

USA
2749 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2005 :  6:01:53 PM  Show Profile Send myshelle10 a Private Message
There are a couple in Honolulu. My favorite is Isle Knits-- check a phonebook when you get there, but it's downtown on Bishop Street.

Cute place-- but pretty much anything that's there is accessable either at home or online. :)

Myshelle10
Go to Top of Page

AusTexSusan
Chatty Knitter

USA
345 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2005 :  4:08:04 PM  Show Profile Send AusTexSusan a Private Message
I looked for handspun while in Maui in September. No luck. I even talked to a few folks at artisan galleries, but no luck.

Go to Top of Page

kbshee
Permanent Resident

USA
4168 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2005 :  5:33:00 PM  Show Profile Send kbshee a Private Message
Happy Anniversary RoseM! Have a wonderful trip! Safe travels!!!

kim in oregon
http://kbshee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

RoseM
Permanent Resident

Canada
1898 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2005 :  11:47:23 AM  Show Profile Send RoseM a Private Message
Thank Kim! We're so excited. A dream of mine has always been to be in the water with dolphins and maybe I'll be able to do that.

But darn - why was it so much easier for find a great bathing suit to take when we went 20 years ago for our honeymoon . . . the years may have sped by, but they did manage to 'settle' in some body parts[**]!
RoseM
Go to Top of Page

Luann
Permanent Resident

USA
2678 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2005 :  12:18:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit Luann's Homepage Send Luann a Private Message
Rose, I'll be on the Big Island soon myself - a long overdue vacation. My husband and I would live there if we could, we love it so much! I don't remember any yarn shops from our last visit, though I wouldn't be surprised if there are some there now. That said, if you sew or like fabric even a tiny bit, you absolutely MUST go to Kimura's Fabrics in Kainaliu Village, south of Kona on Highway 11. It is the most wonderful place - an old-fashioned fabric store stocked to the gills with fabulous things, Hawaiian and Asian inspired fabrics as well as many other beautiful styles. They have notions and everything you would expect to find in a dry goods store from 1939. I hasten to add I am not a seamstress at all, but even I cannot leave this place without buying bolts of fabric. It's the real old Hawaii, as far away from a tourist trap as you can ever get. The village is a great place to have lunch as well - we always stop at the Aloha Cafe, part of an old theatre that has been reborn as a community performing arts center.

Have a great trip and aloha!
Luann

Knit and let knit!
Go to Top of Page

teruterubouzu
Warming Up

USA
83 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2005 :  12:26:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit teruterubouzu's Homepage Send teruterubouzu a Private Message
I've never been to Hawaii so am more than a little jealous of your upcoming vacation!

Here's a directory of yarn shops in Honolulu from mc carroll's blog:
http://mkcarroll.typepad.com/mk_carroll/2005/11/yarn_shops_in_h.html

Amy
http://teruterubouzu.typepad.com/andknitting/
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.73 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth