Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Knitter's Review Retreat details and Sheepshow
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Shop Talk
 Shop owners and aspiring businesspeople
 Wholesale needles, bags, etc.?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Jessiebird
New Pal

28 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2005 :  4:19:51 PM  Show Profile Send Jessiebird a Private Message
A friend and I have recently launched a small website to our sell hand-dyed and self-striping yarns (as well as hand-dyed clothing, as soon as the local holiday season dies down and we can keep some inventory!). I would like to add some other products, such as needles and knitting organizers/bags and such.

It's a multi-layer question: one is how to approach major companies about needles and stuff. Of course, the answer to that is probably simple: Make a wholesale inquiry online or by phone. Duh. But what about smaller companies? If there is a person who sews hand-made knitting bags, for instance, is she likely to want to sell wholesale or will she do better selling full price on her own site?

I know this may be a stupid question but I need to just ask. I am wondering because in our work, we are finding that the clothing side does lend itself to wholesale because of the quantity you can make. But the yarn is really a skein by skein process and wouldn't be cost effective to sell wholesale, at least at this point. I'm leaning more toward New England, especially Vermont, sources, as that's where we're located. Any leads?

I'd also like some opinions on what else knitters might like to see on a website that sells yarn. Patterns? Needles? Bags? Books? Any opinions (of the patient, kind, gentle sort, of course) would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Blog: http://whathousework.typepad.com/what_housework/
Hand-dyed variegated and self-striping yarns

ndhannah@knitkitsco.com
New Pal

13 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2005 :  8:09:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit ndhannah@knitkitsco.com's Homepage Send ndhannah@knitkitsco.com a Private Message
Your yarns are beautiful and I'll be sending you an email to discuss wholesale pricing. As far as which is better retail or wholesale...well, of course, retail provides a bigger initial profit, however, if you had a few (or many) shops buying all you could produce, you're exposure would be much greater and, therefore, your quantity of sales would increase. And, nothing precludes you from doing both. As far as needles, etc., you could attend one of the TNNA shows (TNNA.org) in January or June (I think). There are soooo many vendors ...this would be where you would find the type of accessories you might want to stock. However, they generally have minimum initial orders that can be quite steep...good luck with your business....I'm hardly an expert, having only been in business a bit over a year, but, if I you have a question, feel free to contact me and if I don't know, I'll try to pass yo along to someone who does. ndhannah@knitkitsco.com
Go to Top of Page

Jessiebird
New Pal

28 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2005 :  04:54:07 AM  Show Profile Send Jessiebird a Private Message
Thanks for the response. I guess my problem with the yarn is at the moment, I can't produce it fast enough to make a profit at a wholesale rate. I can't make it up in quantity, because making double the yarn takes double the time.

I am hoping to streamline the process as I get better at it. Right now I am having a ball just playing with all the colors and selling what I can.

I understand the initial investment in wholesale supplies. But between the yarn and the dyed clothing (which we are selling a lot of locally) we have been able to make the business pay for itself, essentially. (Meaning, we had a small initial investment and we haven't had to put any more of our own money in since the very beginning.) It's a slow way to grow, but it's what is working for us at the moment.

What kind of business do you have?

Blog: http://whathousework.typepad.com/what_housework/
Hand-dyed variegated and self-striping yarns
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.53 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by