Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Knitter's Review Retreat details and Sheepshow
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Spinner Central
 Spinning gadgets and accessories
 Christmas present.
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Valk_scot
Permanent Resident

United Kingdom
1281 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2005 :  02:19:40 AM  Show Profile Send Valk_scot a Private Message
Hubby just landed a new job (He`s a lecturer in Media Studies)with a very healthy payrise, and we were discussing a few extra treats at Christmas to celebrate. During this discussion he said "Would you like one of these spikey wool mangles you`ve been wishing for as a Christmas present?"

After a moment of thought I realised he meant a drum carder, lol! And yes, I do want one. I`ve been looking at the Louet ones because I have two Louet spinning wheels and I`m pretty brand loyal when I find a brand I like. I don`t process lots of raw fleece...probably three or four a year...and I`ll be using it for blending fine fibres in smaller quantities as much as anything else. The fleeces I will be carding will likely be Shetland mostly, because it costs buttons here and I like it.

So I like the look of the 4" wide Louet Junior drum carder.....

http://www.handknitting.com/s.nl/sc.11/category.117/it.A/id.7329/.f

.... because you can make narrow batts of smaller quantities of fibre if you wish, but because of the longer wire tines it will still hold a considerable quantity of fibre if required. 46wpi cloth. And it`s one of the cheaper ones, at 175 over here as opposed to the 265 Ashford. And it looks a simple design, like my wheels, and simpler usually means less problems in my experience!

So...has anyone got a Louet Junior? Opinions? Horror stories? Or any othe recommedations, given that I do live in the UK and some USA brands are not availible here. (And I ain`t paying international postage on a 6kg carder!)

Val.

[img]http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/26/26_9_21.gif[/img]

Shemac
Chatty Knitter

USA
281 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2005 :  9:38:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shemac's Homepage Send Shemac a Private Message
I had a Louet Roving carder and loved it. I sold it to buy a bigger electric carder for production carding for my business, but I regret selling it because sometimes I want to card a smaller amount of fiber for my personal use.
You'll still have to break or attenuate it into thinner strips for carding because it doesn't actually produce "roving", just a more narrow batt.
It is simple to use and easy to care for. I'm like you, I like simple things that have fewer fussy parts that can go bad. When I first met DH I had a Toyota Corolla that needed oil changes and not much other maintenace, DH had an Audi that was always having a window motor or computer chip or fuse or something replaced, and so he was always needing a ride in the trusty Corolla.

Sheila
My Fiber Shop:www.eweniquefiber.com
My Blog: http://eweniquefiber.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Lissa
Permanent Resident

USA
4942 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2005 :  09:35:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit Lissa's Homepage Send Lissa a Private Message
I've tried several drum carders, and the winner by a wide margin, IMO is the Fricke. NAYY. Just no comparison.

Lissa

During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a
revolutionary act. -- George Orwell

Oh, and I now have a blog:http://knittnlissa.typepad.com/knittnlissa/
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.59 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth