Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Revisiting the mitered square
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Tool Talk
 Needles
 Same Brand, Same Needle Size, but not really
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

COgirl
Permanent Resident

USA
2176 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2005 :  9:51:56 PM  Show Profile Send COgirl a Private Message
When I first learned to knit about 8 years ago, I only wanted to work with bamboo needles. So I have tons of them now that I have discovered that I love Addis. But I digress. . .

So I'm knitting a sweater and I'm pulling out all the needles that I'll need. I'm doing the body in size 5, 3.75 mm, 29" Clover circular. I pull out the Clover size 5, 16" circular that I'll use on my sleeve and lo and behold the size is different. The package says 3 2/3 mm.

I am so used to just looking at the needle size and figuring that they are all the same, but I recently learned that you have to check those little mms. I know you can get different sizes with different brands, but I never expected that I would encounter the problem with the same manufacturer.

Oh well, guess I'll just have to go out and buy a size 5 16" Addi turbo now.

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2005 :  10:13:09 PM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message
Don't give up. I suggest you knit with the needle you have, as it could well be a labelling error. For one, metric does not use 2/3mm. Please give it a try.

"An injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Martin Luther King Jr.
www.femiknits.blog-city.com
Go to Top of Page

COgirl
Permanent Resident

USA
2176 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2005 :  10:20:09 PM  Show Profile Send COgirl a Private Message
I'm not worried about it. I've learned magic loop and I can use that to get the right size. I don't mind a perfect excuse to buy another Addi anyway. I just thought it was so weird. I have never seen 2/3 mm either. I don't know how long I've had the needle. I'd just never noticed it before and I'm sure I've knitted the sweaters with the different sizes too. But I have certainly learned to always check those mms.
Go to Top of Page

GFTC
Permanent Resident

USA
6331 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2005 :  07:15:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit GFTC's Homepage Send GFTC a Private Message
I have an old circ from a company called Leisure Arts and it has a weird metric size also. I never go by the US sizes, always the metric. The small sizes are always screwy comparing US to metric and Addi is totally off. Don't use the US size that Addi puts on the pkg; it doesn't necessarily match. There are also some Fiber Trends patterns with inaccurate match-ups. I use the metric size that they call for since I assume that it what they are trying to tell me.

Remember, there is no US equivalent to 2.5mm and 3.0mm. US 1 is 2.25mm, US 2 is 2.75mm, and US 3 is 3.25mm regardless of what you find printed anywhere. Try to go with the metric sizing when you can since it will be more accurate.

GFTC of NYC
Go to Top of Page

achrisvet
Permanent Resident

USA
5986 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2005 :  09:12:07 AM  Show Profile Send achrisvet a Private Message
To add to the confusion, I've seen some packages labled US 3; 3mm while most brands say US 3 is 3.25. I would just as soon everything go metric.

Anita
My completed projects

and here

Go to Top of Page

GFTC
Permanent Resident

USA
6331 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2005 :  09:43:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit GFTC's Homepage Send GFTC a Private Message
Just wondering if my first post on this thread is visible???

GFTC of NYC
Go to Top of Page

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2005 :  10:05:06 AM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message
GFTC I can see your first post.

I've also been told that the .25 and .75 sizes are exclusive to the NA market, that they are not sold in Europe. Any of our Euro posters confirm or deny that?

"An injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Martin Luther King Jr.
Go to Top of Page

of troy
Permanent Resident

USA
2474 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2005 :  3:47:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit of troy's Homepage Send of troy a Private Message
GFTC, do you think you were mantled? (ie,did your post seem to be wearing harry potters cloak (mantle) of invisiblity? ) or do you think you were mistaken for chopped liver?

it happens..

See my photo albums, (edit-NO PASSWORD REQUIRED) http://img78.photobucket.com/albums/v299/oftroy/
Go to Top of Page

GFTC
Permanent Resident

USA
6331 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2005 :  4:21:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit GFTC's Homepage Send GFTC a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by of troy

GFTC, do you think you were mistaken for chopped liver?

Yes.

GFTC of NYC
Go to Top of Page

COgirl
Permanent Resident

USA
2176 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2005 :  5:41:56 PM  Show Profile Send COgirl a Private Message
Never. . .
Go to Top of Page

Wen
Permanent Resident

Australia
3244 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2005 :  7:53:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit Wen's Homepage Send Wen a Private Message
standard sizes in England/Australia/NZ are 3mm, 3.25mm and 3.75mm. I have a 3.5mm that came from Germany, I was told that they don't have a 3.75mm 3.5mm are rare to find here in Aus.

2.25 and 2.75 are also standard however from 4mm onwards there is generally only 4.5, 5.0, 5.5 etc.

Wen

2005 stats: 7 FO, 9 WIP, 1 frogpond.
http://photos.yahoo.com/whdayus
Go to Top of Page

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2005 :  8:16:09 PM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message
3.5mm is common here, but that is most likely because we get the German sizes. 3.25mm is another rare find, and 3.75 I have never seen. 2mm and 2.5mm are standard but 2.25mm and 2.75mm are not.

Go to Top of Page

GFTC
Permanent Resident

USA
6331 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2005 :  06:41:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit GFTC's Homepage Send GFTC a Private Message
No wonder why nobody can get gauge, LOL.

GFTC of NYC
Go to Top of Page

renee_knits
Seriously Hooked

702 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2005 :  07:06:50 AM  Show Profile Send renee_knits a Private Message
This thread is making me grateful that I usually knit on larger needles!! However, I have a large cache of smaller needles (circular and double-points), to accompany my large stash of sock yarn, that will now (evidently) require closer examination......

Knitting IS real life!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.59 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?