Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A true British yarn from Erika Knight
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Reader's Corner
 Book recommendations and questions
 2 new books: Compassionate Knitting and the Yarn G
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

pianogal
Seriously Hooked

629 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2005 :  9:32:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit pianogal's Homepage Send pianogal a Private Message
irls book...

I just got both. The Yarn Girls' new book, which includes some very basic cabling and intarsia, has some cute sweaters (as usual, everything is made with a million balls of ridiculously expensive yarn); I especially liked a chunky cowl sweater. There was also a nice sweater with a huge cable in the middle and a cute little cabled hat. Intarsia is limited to big stripes or blocks of color. For some reason the chirpy tone of the writing irritates me a little, but I appreciate the contemporary nature of the patterns.

Compassionate Knitting: I guess I should have read Mindful Knitting, because there isn't a lot about philosophy in this book, just the patterns. There's a beautiful "Japanese Haori vest" that I plan to make for my mother-in-law, and a couple really pretty Asian-influenced cardigans. Those were my favorites... I'll skip the Clouds pillow, but I may make the travel set without the checked pattern (it includes eye mask, neck rest and a bag).

http://abeginningknitter.blogspot.com

JGOLOSO
Gabber Extraordinaire

491 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2005 :  9:56:10 PM  Show Profile Send JGOLOSO a Private Message
I was just at Barnes and Noble and saw The Yarn Girls' new book. It is written in the same style as their last two books. Very simple, clear instructions and classic patterns. I loved the cowl sweater, too. I am going to have to add this book to my list of things to buy.
Go to Top of Page

gibsongirl
Seriously Hooked

965 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2005 :  3:54:28 PM  Show Profile Send gibsongirl a Private Message
I've been waiting to see the new Yarn Girls book, as I learned to knit from the first one (before the rise of Debbie Stoller's SnB empire) and I really like their Knitting Journal. Are the patterns mostly knit in chunky yarns like they were in the first book?

-gibsongirl
Go to Top of Page

Knit and Purl Grrl
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
414 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2005 :  11:23:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit Knit and Purl Grrl's Homepage Send Knit and Purl Grrl a Private Message
I've had both their first two books and have yet to make anything out of them. Everything is just so darned chunky! Unless you are a teeny-tiny-type, they just don't look good. I'm not big -- size 6 -- but I have a chest and these patterns are made for sticks, methinks!

Lain
Knit & Purl Grrl
visit me at http://knitandpurlgrrl.blogs.com/my_weblog/
Go to Top of Page

pianogal
Seriously Hooked

629 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2005 :  09:25:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit pianogal's Homepage Send pianogal a Private Message
They are made for sticks but they're just so durned cute. :-) I found that I had to knit a larger size than I would usually wear in most patterns. Their size Small is basically for a 12-year-old girl!
The only thing I wonder is *why doesn't anyone make cute patterns that can be knit in the round*! I like to reduce seaming wherever possible...

Gibson girl there are a lot of chunky patterns. Love that cowl!

Go to Top of Page

pianogal
Seriously Hooked

629 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2005 :  10:04:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit pianogal's Homepage Send pianogal a Private Message
I just wanted to write that I am a little irritated because I am knitting something from Compassionate Knitting and the pattern definitely needs more yarn that is called for in the book...

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.33 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?