Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Can felt be fixed?
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Knitalongs
 what is a knitalong?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

suziew96
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
350 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2005 :  4:00:03 PM  Show Profile Send suziew96 a Private Message
Sorry I have a very stupid question - what exactly is a knit a long?
Thanks in advance.

trekcelt
Seriously Hooked

USA
849 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2005 :  4:36:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit trekcelt's Homepage Send trekcelt a Private Message
Basically it is a bunch of people all knitting the same item (like the Kepler sweater) or along the same theme (like the Black Sheep - black or mostly black knits only). Usually there is a blog associated with it for posting successes and help pleas.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

trek's blog FO: 35, WIP: 2

"As for me and my house..."
Go to Top of Page

Margie
Permanent Resident

USA
1032 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2006 :  1:58:14 PM  Show Profile Send Margie a Private Message
Suzie - As I've said to all of my students, "There's only *one* stupid question in the whole world. The question you don't ask."

Ask away -- I've seen the term too but could not have given you a good definition. Thanks for asking.

Go to Top of Page

gwtreece
Permanent Resident

USA
7254 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2006 :  06:43:31 AM  Show Profile  Send gwtreece a Yahoo! Message Send gwtreece a Private Message
Never be afraid to ask a question. This group has knitters are all different levels and everyone is very friendly and helpful in answering questions.

Wanda
Go to Top of Page

thdx3
Seriously Hooked

693 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2006 :  1:04:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit thdx3's Homepage Send thdx3 a Private Message
In case you feel like plunging in, here's a list of current knitalongs.

Knit on--

Terri D. in NYC
Go to Top of Page

MMario
Permanent Resident

2210 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2006 :  1:07:44 PM  Show Profile Send MMario a Private Message
a) an excuse to knit another item

b) a chance to talk with other people about knitting the item in A)

c) a chance to get help/offer help from/to others regarding problems or successese with a)

d) an excuse to buy yarn for the item in a)

MMario - I don't live in the 21st century - but I play a character who does.
Go to Top of Page

ozknitter
Permanent Resident

Australia
3291 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2006 :  01:46:51 AM  Show Profile Send ozknitter a Private Message
Hi Suzie,

Thanks for asking, as I did not know what it was either and felt to silly to ask, so you've done me a big favour.

Many thanks.

Knit in peace and harmony.

Rose in Melbourne, Australia.
Go to Top of Page

Mama Bear
Gabber Extraordinaire

417 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2006 :  2:46:42 PM  Show Profile Send Mama Bear a Private Message
and to add to NMario's list, some knit-a-longs like lucybug.org and the preemie project are on going knit-a-longs for charity.

Mama Bear

[img]http://beartoes.com/images/bearbutton.jpg[/img]
My Blog:www.beartoes.com
Go to Top of Page

WendyB
Permanent Resident

3262 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2006 :  11:26:31 AM  Show Profile Send WendyB a Private Message
Do you have to have a blog to participate in a blog-associated knitalong?
Go to Top of Page

Medea
Chatty Knitter

334 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2006 :  12:01:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit Medea's Homepage Send Medea a Private Message
WendyB, I was going to ask a similar question. Not all of the knitalongs require members to have a blog, but it seems to me like most of the ones I've wanted to join do. I have a Flickr Photostream, but I have no plans to have a blog in the forseeable future, so that's been disappointing.

I have thought maybe I'd ask if any of the "blog required" knitalongs would let someone with a photostream (I have comments on it, kind of like a blog) join in. Otherwise, I'm out of luck until I find a "no blog required" one I'd like to join.

Jenny

Jenny
I'm teaching myself to knit. Pictures of my (simple) projects are at http://www.flickr.com/photos/jsphotos
Go to Top of Page

janev
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
444 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2006 :  3:03:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit janev's Homepage Send janev a Private Message
The blog required thing scared me off too - until I finally decided to check into having one, and found it very easy to do that on blogspot.com.
I have no idea how to do most of the things bloggers do, but I can post articles and pictures and get comments. And I can join KALs.

Jane
"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
www.janevdoviak.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Mama Bear
Gabber Extraordinaire

417 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2006 :  8:43:47 PM  Show Profile Send Mama Bear a Private Message
I think it really depends on the knit-along. While some may require a blog, the one I am part of doesn't require a seperate blog, we all use the same blog, already set up, to share things and I know others have done this too.

Mama Bear

[img]http://beartoes.com/images/bearbutton.jpg[/img]
My Blog:www.beartoes.com
Go to Top of Page

lford
Chatty Knitter

USA
143 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2006 :  8:43:39 PM  Show Profile Send lford a Private Message
I have been wondering what a KAL is also. The concept sounds like alot of fun. I don't know a single knitter so a KAL would be a great way for me to make some knitting friends. I looked at the list of KALs and joined the 'One Skein' group. I received the book a couple of weeks ago and love the patterns. I plan to make the felted clutch for my daughter's birthday in August. I think the bibs are adorable. I know I have some cotton yarn that I can use. The bibs I will add to my stash of completed baby items (no grandchildren yet, but many of my daughters' friends are having children). I didn't see any mention of a blog requirement.

Linda
Go to Top of Page

JannyW
New Pal

USA
28 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2006 :  07:23:45 AM  Show Profile Send JannyW a Private Message
I have a "blog" on LiveJournal, and there are a ton of knitters there as well. I'm sure there are a few KAL groups going on LJ, tho I haven't checked into it lately.

~~Jan~~

Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.
-- John Lennon
Go to Top of Page

KathleenV
New Pal

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2006 :  6:50:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit KathleenV's Homepage Send KathleenV a Private Message

Hi,

I'm new here. I have a blog at http://www.KathleenValentine.com. It is not specifically a knitters blog --- I write about art, writing and a lot of other things. However last fall I made a shawl which i referred to as my Mermaid shawl and so many people wrote and wanted the pattern (what pattern?) that I decided to start a blog knitalong. It has been quite an adventure. I have one more addition to go but if anyone wants to take a look the whole project so far is both on my blog and at:
http://www.valentine-design.com/mermaid/KALindex.htm

Come by and say hello!!!

Kathleen

Go to Top of Page

DebbiOH
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
525 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2006 :  10:20:38 AM  Show Profile Send DebbiOH a Private Message
Teri D, so if I wanted to start a socks knitalong I could do that? Do I have to let Clara or anyone know?

Debbi
NW Ohio
Go to Top of Page

Tangled Jane
Seriously Hooked

Canada
750 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2006 :  11:25:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit Tangled Jane's Homepage Send Tangled Jane a Private Message
Debbi, you don't need to ask anyone's permission to start a knitalong. Just start a new topic descriping your knitalong and then muster the troops! And, Kathleen, love that Mermaid Shawl. No wonder everyone's knitting along!

Jane
http://janethornley.com/journal_knitters.php
Go to Top of Page

achrisvet
Permanent Resident

USA
5986 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2006 :  8:08:57 PM  Show Profile Send achrisvet a Private Message
Many KAL are done using yahoo groups. No one has to have a blog and you can post pictures right in the group.

Anita
My completed projects

and here

Go to Top of Page

godsend
New Pal

USA
41 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2006 :  10:10:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit godsend's Homepage Send godsend a Private Message
I've been blogging for a minute now. But I never joined a knitalong because I was never sure when they started or ended-and my knitting can be pretty slow at times. How does that whole thing work? Do they normally have a start and an end date? I'm going to go check the site that was suggested. But if anyone's just lurking here and can give me an answer on that...

http://k1.knitblog.com

Go to Top of Page

MMario
Permanent Resident

2210 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2006 :  10:15:45 AM  Show Profile Send MMario a Private Message
some have start and end dates - some are open-ended. and for some - where non-members have access to archives and past posts - you can "knit-along" later at your own speed, lurking through the archives.

MMario - I don't live in the 21st century - but I play a character who does.
Go to Top of Page

godsend
New Pal

USA
41 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2006 :  10:21:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit godsend's Homepage Send godsend a Private Message
Thanks MMario!

http://k1.knitblog.com

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.58 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by