Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 General Technique Questions
 Oh, rats - a dropped stitch!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Atavistic
Permanent Resident

6604 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2003 :  07:49:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit Atavistic's Homepage Send Atavistic a Private Message
quote:

When I started knitting and made more mistakes than I do now, I used to lay my knitting on the table with the mistake in plain view, then invite my family members to point out the mistake while standing 2 feet from the table. If they didn't find it, I didn't correct it.

Amen. Different strokes for different folks, but most mistakes WON'T BE SEEN! If I tried to be perfect in everything I do, I'd fail to exist, 'cos I am certainly not pefect!

Mindy to Heidi: Did I tell you she knits in class? She knits away and two weeks later she comes in wearing a new sweater!
Go to Top of Page

moxie
Seriously Hooked

844 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2003 :  08:18:01 AM  Show Profile Send moxie a Private Message
WOW. This thread is going to revolutionize my life. Somehow I missed it when it first came out. Michael and Fran, you rock! I think Fran should be designated a National Treasure. I have been doing everything MatchBoxMona's way-- unravel it all and redo, or occasionally use the crochet hook if there were only a few rows between the mistake and the recovery. Wow.

Go to Top of Page

moxie
Seriously Hooked

844 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2003 :  08:18:01 AM  Show Profile Send moxie a Private Message
WOW. This thread is going to revolutionize my life. Somehow I missed it when it first came out. Michael and Fran, you rock! I think Fran should be designated a National Treasure. I have been doing everything MatchBoxMona's way-- unravel it all and redo, or occasionally use the crochet hook if there were only a few rows between the mistake and the recovery. Wow.

Go to Top of Page

Milinda
Permanent Resident

USA
3817 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2003 :  09:11:53 AM  Show Profile Send Milinda a Private Message
I usually frog back if it is a complicated stitch pattern if it messes up the multiple but I usually notice those kinds immediately. It's the sneaky little ones in more simple patterns that can elude me for row upon row. The crochet hook method is fine in simple matters but I tried Micheal's Method and was totally blown away. That is the beauty of this site, the exchange of energy is so immediate. Micheal, will you give lessons/seminars in the future?!?

M L
Go to Top of Page

Milinda
Permanent Resident

USA
3817 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2003 :  09:11:53 AM  Show Profile Send Milinda a Private Message
I usually frog back if it is a complicated stitch pattern if it messes up the multiple but I usually notice those kinds immediately. It's the sneaky little ones in more simple patterns that can elude me for row upon row. The crochet hook method is fine in simple matters but I tried Micheal's Method and was totally blown away. That is the beauty of this site, the exchange of energy is so immediate. Micheal, will you give lessons/seminars in the future?!?

M L
Go to Top of Page

Milinda
Permanent Resident

USA
3817 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2003 :  09:19:03 AM  Show Profile Send Milinda a Private Message
Once again, I find myself agreeing with Moxie: Fran and Micheal rock. I just fixed another dropped stitch mess I had stashed away using Micheal AND Fran's Method, I switched to a smaller needle and now I have another WIP on hold taken care of. These two people have literally changed how I recover from disasters in knitting. Blessings to you both and where can I sign up for lessons???

M L
Go to Top of Page

Milinda
Permanent Resident

USA
3817 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2003 :  09:19:03 AM  Show Profile Send Milinda a Private Message
Once again, I find myself agreeing with Moxie: Fran and Micheal rock. I just fixed another dropped stitch mess I had stashed away using Micheal AND Fran's Method, I switched to a smaller needle and now I have another WIP on hold taken care of. These two people have literally changed how I recover from disasters in knitting. Blessings to you both and where can I sign up for lessons???

M L
Go to Top of Page

SFMichael
Gabber Extraordinaire

437 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2003 :  11:53:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit SFMichael's Homepage Send SFMichael a Private Message
It's just all in a day's work, Ma'am.

Michael

Michael
http://pages.prodigy.net/maecooper/
Go to Top of Page

SFMichael
Gabber Extraordinaire

437 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2003 :  11:53:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit SFMichael's Homepage Send SFMichael a Private Message
It's just all in a day's work, Ma'am.

Michael

Michael
http://pages.prodigy.net/maecooper/
Go to Top of Page

nrmarb@comcast.net

Posted - 05/01/2003 :  3:14:52 PM  Show Profile Send nrmarb@comcast.net a Private Message
I've told my family that I make a mistake in every sweater I make to show that it is handknit..................machine knitting won't have these "homey touches"
Go to Top of Page

nrmarb@comcast.net

Posted - 05/01/2003 :  3:14:52 PM  Show Profile Send nrmarb@comcast.net a Private Message
I've told my family that I make a mistake in every sweater I make to show that it is handknit..................machine knitting won't have these "homey touches"
Go to Top of Page

Jackie E-S
New Pal

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2003 :  4:07:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jackie E-S's Homepage Send Jackie E-S a Private Message
Sometimes we may not realize those dropped stitches until the final stages (I didn't in this example). Here is a "story" about how a dropped stitch in a lace shawl project went from disaster to success (chocolate, good lighting, and a "can do" attitude helps. :)

http://www.heartstringsfiberarts.com/otherlnk.htm#shawlrep

Jackie E-S

Go to Top of Page

Jackie E-S
New Pal

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2003 :  4:07:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jackie E-S's Homepage Send Jackie E-S a Private Message
Sometimes we may not realize those dropped stitches until the final stages (I didn't in this example). Here is a "story" about how a dropped stitch in a lace shawl project went from disaster to success (chocolate, good lighting, and a "can do" attitude helps. :)

http://www.heartstringsfiberarts.com/otherlnk.htm#shawlrep

Jackie E-S

Go to Top of Page

mbmoody
Gabber Extraordinaire

583 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2003 :  4:26:45 PM  Show Profile Send mbmoody a Private Message
Once you've found a method of picking up dropped stitches that works for you (I settle for the crochet hook), you can also drop stitches on purpose to go back and fix mistakes like cables going in the wrong direction. I've also used dropped stitches to correct Fair Isle mistakes - go back, drop the wrong color, and pick up the correct one.
Go to Top of Page

mbmoody
Gabber Extraordinaire

583 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2003 :  4:26:45 PM  Show Profile Send mbmoody a Private Message
Once you've found a method of picking up dropped stitches that works for you (I settle for the crochet hook), you can also drop stitches on purpose to go back and fix mistakes like cables going in the wrong direction. I've also used dropped stitches to correct Fair Isle mistakes - go back, drop the wrong color, and pick up the correct one.
Go to Top of Page

Marg in Mirror
Permanent Resident

Canada
3205 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2003 :  5:34:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit Marg in Mirror's Homepage  Send Marg in Mirror a Yahoo! Message Send Marg in Mirror a Private Message
I was a good 1.5 inches into the front of my Lily Chin undersweater (twin set, premiere issue of KnitIt) on the train this a.m. when I noticed a dropped stitch. Now I'm knitting with Garnstudio Silke-Tweed, see...so I tried to fix the problem (the !!!***@@@ thing was down 4 (almost 5) rows!)...I didn't have a crochet hook with me, and might not have thought of it if I did...but boy, am I glad I was only 1.5 inches along. Makes the frogging easier to take!

-- Marg in Calgary

TLWKOTB
Go to Top of Page

Marg in Mirror
Permanent Resident

Canada
3205 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2003 :  5:34:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit Marg in Mirror's Homepage  Send Marg in Mirror a Yahoo! Message Send Marg in Mirror a Private Message
I was a good 1.5 inches into the front of my Lily Chin undersweater (twin set, premiere issue of KnitIt) on the train this a.m. when I noticed a dropped stitch. Now I'm knitting with Garnstudio Silke-Tweed, see...so I tried to fix the problem (the !!!***@@@ thing was down 4 (almost 5) rows!)...I didn't have a crochet hook with me, and might not have thought of it if I did...but boy, am I glad I was only 1.5 inches along. Makes the frogging easier to take!

-- Marg in Calgary

TLWKOTB
Go to Top of Page

iknitsox
New Pal

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2003 :  6:36:42 PM  Show Profile Send iknitsox a Private Message
I always keep a crochet hook in my knitting project bag. In addition to helping pick up yarn for stitches in sock gussets, it is the only way to pick up a lost stitch that I know of. I go to the place where the stitch dropped, unweave all of the stitches down to it so that I can pick it up with the crochet hook and either pull it through the front or back depending on whether it was knit or purl. I somehow can't do a big project - (a sweater is a big project for me!) and then have my eyes instantly go to a place that has an error. Is that 'knit' picky?

Cindy L.
Go to Top of Page

iknitsox
New Pal

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2003 :  6:36:42 PM  Show Profile Send iknitsox a Private Message
I always keep a crochet hook in my knitting project bag. In addition to helping pick up yarn for stitches in sock gussets, it is the only way to pick up a lost stitch that I know of. I go to the place where the stitch dropped, unweave all of the stitches down to it so that I can pick it up with the crochet hook and either pull it through the front or back depending on whether it was knit or purl. I somehow can't do a big project - (a sweater is a big project for me!) and then have my eyes instantly go to a place that has an error. Is that 'knit' picky?

Cindy L.
Go to Top of Page

lemons
Permanent Resident

1692 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2003 :  07:10:10 AM  Show Profile Send lemons a Private Message
I hadn't dropped a stitch in months - and then after reding about various opinions on handling them, last night I found two in the Best Friend jacket I'm working on. One I could pick up fairly easily (although re-knitting garter stitch I find much more of a pain than stockinette) and the other was waaaay down in the body of the jacket. So I hung a safety pin on it and will tack it down. The yarn is a boucle, so it really won't show.

But I laughed when I saw them - it's as if thinking about dropping stitches made me do it!

lemons of missouri

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.23 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.