Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Revisiting the mitered square
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 General Technique Questions
 Oh, rats - a dropped stitch!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

chris
Permanent Resident

USA
2462 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2003 :  09:23:36 AM  Show Profile Send chris a Private Message
Whew! Now that it's fixed, I have a question: If Judy had just pulled the stitch to the back and tacked it down, would she have had to make an increase in the current row to make sure she had the correct number of stitches? Or would she just have kept knitting the number she had at that point?

chris

Keep on knittin', mama, knittin' those blues away!
Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2003 :  12:28:31 PM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message
the answer is in the pattern she is using. If the pattern needed it she would have to add one in, but if she did 16 rows without noticing it, I doubt if the pattern needed it.

The technique I would use to fix it is the same as Michael described but with one thing added. I would use a dpn one size smaller than the needle I am using if there is a problem with the strands of yarn being too short, or a size larger if there is excess yarn to be worked in. This slight difference in needle sizes usually does not show any difference when the knitting is finished.

When I started knitting and made more mistakes than I do now, I used to lay my knitting on the table with the mistake in plain view, then invite my family members to point out the mistake while standing 2 feet from the table. If they didn't find it, I didn't correct it.

I defy anyone to tell if both socks have the same number of stitches when you are wearing them and my friends don't pickup my feet and count the stitches.

fran

Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

the answer is in the pattern she is using. If the pattern needed it she would have to add one in, but if she did 16 rows without noticing it, I doubt if the pattern needed it.

The technique I would use to fix it is the same as Michael described but with one thing added. I would use a dpn one size smaller than the needle I am using if there is a problem with the strands of yarn being too short, or a size larger if there is excess yarn to be worked in. This slight difference in needle sizes usually does not show any difference when the knitting is finished.

When I started knitting and made more mistakes than I do now, I used to lay my knitting on the table with the mistake in plain view, then invite my family members to point out the mistake while standing 2 feet from the table. If they didn't find it, I didn't correct it.

I defy anyone to tell if both socks have the same number of stitches when you are wearing them and my friends don't pickup my feet and count the stitches.

fran

Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

fran

Go to Top of Page

SFMichael
Gabber Extraordinaire

437 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2003 :  12:44:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit SFMichael's Homepage Send SFMichael a Private Message
What a great idea to change the needle size!

Thanks,

Michael
http://pages.prodigy.net/maecooper/
Go to Top of Page

SFMichael
Gabber Extraordinaire

437 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2003 :  12:44:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit SFMichael's Homepage Send SFMichael a Private Message

Thanks,

Michael
Go to Top of Page

SFMichael
Gabber Extraordinaire

437 Posts

Thanks,

Michael
Go to Top of Page

SFMichael
Gabber Extraordinaire

437 Posts

Thanks,

Michael
Go to Top of Page

SFMichael
Gabber Extraordinaire

437 Posts

Thanks,

Michael
Go to Top of Page

chris
Permanent Resident

USA
2462 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2003 :  4:38:39 PM  Show Profile Send chris a Private Message
Fran, I love this!! I started out thinking if it wasn't perfect, it wasn't worth doing, and my early work was nothing near perfect. Heck, my now work is nothing near perfect! I made a hat for Tony that had two purl stitches where they should have been knits. I discovered it (by feel, not by sight if you can believe that! my fingers were saying "something is not quite right down here!!") about 4 inches later. I finished the hat, presented it to Tony and said "There's a mistake in it that I didn't bother fixing. Two things about the mistake: a) you can prove it's your hat because of the mistake and II) only God is perfect." He still hasn't found the mistake! Gotta love that guy!

chris (who wishes for perfection and settles for good enough)

quote:

fran

Go to Top of Page

chris
Permanent Resident

USA
2462 Posts

Fran, I love this!! I started out thinking if it wasn't perfect, it wasn't worth doing, and my early work was nothing near perfect. Heck, my now work is nothing near perfect! I made a hat for Tony that had two purl stitches where they should have been knits. I discovered it (by feel, not by sight if you can believe that! my fingers were saying "something is not quite right down here!!") about 4 inches later. I finished the hat, presented it to Tony and said "There's a mistake in it that I didn't bother fixing. Two things about the mistake: a) you can prove it's your hat because of the mistake and II) only God is perfect." He still hasn't found the mistake! Gotta love that guy!

quote:

fran

Go to Top of Page

chris
Permanent Resident

USA
2462 Posts

quote:

fran

Go to Top of Page

chris
Permanent Resident

USA
2462 Posts

quote:

fran

Go to Top of Page

chris
Permanent Resident

USA
2462 Posts

quote:

fran

Go to Top of Page

Jane
SustaYning Member

USA
4368 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2003 :  7:44:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jane's Homepage Send Jane a Private Message
I think there's a lesson for me here -- but if I learn the lesson, then I'll have all kinds of time to spare! No more fretting about one little boo-boo, worrying that someone might, as Fran pointed out, grab my foot and get really close () in order to see my sock's extra decrease on the edge of the heel? Whatever would I do with all that time? I'm sure I could come up with something else to fret about! I'm a pro.

Jane
Go to Top of Page

Jane
SustaYning Member

USA
4368 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2003 :  7:44:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jane's Homepage Send Jane a Private Message
I think there's a lesson for me here -- but if I learn the lesson, then I'll have all kinds of time to spare! No more fretting about one little boo-boo, worrying that someone might, as Fran pointed out, grab my foot and get really close () in order to see my sock's extra decrease on the edge of the heel? Whatever would I do with all that time? I'm sure I could come up with something else to fret about! I'm a pro.

Jane
Go to Top of Page

Jane
SustaYning Member

USA
4368 Posts

Jane
Go to Top of Page

alicia817
New Pal

USA
30 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2003 :  07:17:14 AM  Show Profile Send alicia817 a Private Message
Apparently I dropped a stitch some 50 or so rows back (Lopi Fair Isle Sweater) and now doing the neck ribbing when I saw alas -- the HOLE! Can I just darn it - it is right in the front of the sweater. HELP!

Alicia
Go to Top of Page

alicia817
New Pal

USA
30 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2003 :  07:17:14 AM  Show Profile Send alicia817 a Private Message
Apparently I dropped a stitch some 50 or so rows back (Lopi Fair Isle Sweater) and now doing the neck ribbing when I saw alas -- the HOLE! Can I just darn it - it is right in the front of the sweater. HELP!

Alicia
Go to Top of Page

Atavistic
Permanent Resident

6604 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2003 :  07:49:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit Atavistic's Homepage Send Atavistic a Private Message
quote:

Amen. Different strokes for different folks, but most mistakes WON'T BE SEEN! If I tried to be perfect in everything I do, I'd fail to exist, 'cos I am certainly not pefect!

Mindy to Heidi: Did I tell you she knits in class? She knits away and two weeks later she comes in wearing a new sweater!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.25 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?