Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Celebrating Texas fiber producers
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 General Technique Questions
 Oh, rats - a dropped stitch!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

JudyM
Chatty Knitter

USA
270 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2003 :  4:40:52 PM  Show Profile Send JudyM a Private Message
Can't understand how I took me so long to notice, but it's about 16 rows down, and naturally, at a complex part of the pattern. I think I remember hearing about some trick that will allow me to 'bury' it without undoing everything above it. Does anyone remember such a trick, or any other good ways of handling this? Thanks to you all!

- Judy M.

kdcrowley
Permanent Resident

USA
4773 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2003 :  5:02:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit kdcrowley's Homepage Send kdcrowley a Private Message
quote:

Can't understand how I took me so long to notice, but it's about 16 rows down, and naturally, at a complex part of the pattern. I think I remember hearing about some trick that will allow me to 'bury' it without undoing everything above it. Does anyone remember such a trick, or any other good ways of handling this? Thanks to you all!

- Judy M.

Quick, pick up that stitch before the rats get it!! Sorry could not resist.

I use a crochet hook to bring dropped stitches up, you will pull the bar above through the stitch all the way up until you get it back on the needles....It will be really tight, but the tension will even out a little. Of course, complicated patterns present an additional problem, that I don't know how to address.

Kelley

Everywhere you go, there you are! Imagine that....
Go to Top of Page

kdcrowley
Permanent Resident

USA
4773 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2003 :  5:02:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit kdcrowley's Homepage Send kdcrowley a Private Message
quote:

- Judy M.

I use a crochet hook to bring dropped stitches up, you will pull the bar above through the stitch all the way up until you get it back on the needles....It will be really tight, but the tension will even out a little. Of course, complicated patterns present an additional problem, that I don't know how to address.

Kelley

Go to Top of Page

kdcrowley
Permanent Resident

USA
4773 Posts

quote:

- Judy M.

Kelley

Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2003 :  5:02:36 PM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message
If it is a loose stitch that will unravel further, pull it toward the back (inside) of the sweater and secure it with a few sewing stitches.

fran

Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

If it is a loose stitch that will unravel further, pull it toward the back (inside) of the sweater and secure it with a few sewing stitches.

fran

Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

fran

Go to Top of Page

MatchboxMona
Chatty Knitter

Canada
111 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2003 :  5:13:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit MatchboxMona's Homepage Send MatchboxMona a Private Message
I guess more than one knitter here kind of wants to kill me when I say that I a) would either try the method Kelley suggested or b) if that doesn't work because of the pattern I would unravel the 16 rows, pick the stitch up and knit the 16 rows again....I admit, a royal pain in the butt this one, but I am such a perfectionist that I unravelled a sock from the heel once because I made a mistake in the ribbing...call me crazy, but this is how it works for me!

Go to Top of Page

MatchboxMona
Chatty Knitter

Canada
111 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2003 :  5:13:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit MatchboxMona's Homepage Send MatchboxMona a Private Message
I guess more than one knitter here kind of wants to kill me when I say that I a) would either try the method Kelley suggested or b) if that doesn't work because of the pattern I would unravel the 16 rows, pick the stitch up and knit the 16 rows again....I admit, a royal pain in the butt this one, but I am such a perfectionist that I unravelled a sock from the heel once because I made a mistake in the ribbing...call me crazy, but this is how it works for me!

Go to Top of Page

MatchboxMona
Chatty Knitter

Canada
111 Posts

Go to Top of Page

SFMichael
Gabber Extraordinaire

437 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2003 :  5:29:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit SFMichael's Homepage Send SFMichael a Private Message
This may be madness, but when I have done things like this in the past, instead of unravelling the whole 16 rows I will simply take a small dpn and insert it through the dropped stitch and 2-3 sts on either side of the dropped stitch. Then I will knit through the next row that I am currently on until I reach the corresponding stitches.

Then (and here is the crazy part) I will drop those same 5-7 stitches off my needles (but no more than that) and unravel those columns down to the mistake. Now I use a second dpn to work those 5-7 sts back into each row (basically reknitting each row over just those few stitches using the yarn that is already there for each row) until I have regained the row I was currently working on. Voila, problem fixed.

The plusses -- you don't waste ALL of your work, and you can reincorporate the dropped stitch into the pattern as it stands.

The minusses -- well, clearly it is still a little complicated and you will find that the "loose" yarn from the unravelled stitchs is not necessarily easy to knit back together because of the short lenghths.

Still it remains my favorite method for solving this kind of problem if the fabric is not stockinette stitch.

Michael
http://pages.prodigy.net/maecooper/
Go to Top of Page

SFMichael
Gabber Extraordinaire

437 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2003 :  5:29:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit SFMichael's Homepage Send SFMichael a Private Message
This may be madness, but when I have done things like this in the past, instead of unravelling the whole 16 rows I will simply take a small dpn and insert it through the dropped stitch and 2-3 sts on either side of the dropped stitch. Then I will knit through the next row that I am currently on until I reach the corresponding stitches.

Then (and here is the crazy part) I will drop those same 5-7 stitches off my needles (but no more than that) and unravel those columns down to the mistake. Now I use a second dpn to work those 5-7 sts back into each row (basically reknitting each row over just those few stitches using the yarn that is already there for each row) until I have regained the row I was currently working on. Voila, problem fixed.

The plusses -- you don't waste ALL of your work, and you can reincorporate the dropped stitch into the pattern as it stands.

The minusses -- well, clearly it is still a little complicated and you will find that the "loose" yarn from the unravelled stitchs is not necessarily easy to knit back together because of the short lenghths.

Still it remains my favorite method for solving this kind of problem if the fabric is not stockinette stitch.

Michael
Go to Top of Page

SFMichael
Gabber Extraordinaire

437 Posts

Michael
Go to Top of Page

MatchboxMona
Chatty Knitter

Canada
111 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2003 :  5:35:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit MatchboxMona's Homepage Send MatchboxMona a Private Message
OOOOOOkay, Michael is right, that's a good solution...if the pattern allows it. I think I'll try that next time I lose a stitch!

I am sooo glad that a lot of people here have such brilliant ideas and solutions - I learn something new everytime I'm here.

Of course I would like to know now how are you going to do it, Judy?!!??

Go to Top of Page

MatchboxMona
Chatty Knitter

Canada
111 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2003 :  5:35:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit MatchboxMona's Homepage Send MatchboxMona a Private Message
OOOOOOkay, Michael is right, that's a good solution...if the pattern allows it. I think I'll try that next time I lose a stitch!

I am sooo glad that a lot of people here have such brilliant ideas and solutions - I learn something new everytime I'm here.

Go to Top of Page

MatchboxMona
Chatty Knitter

Canada
111 Posts

Go to Top of Page

JudyM
Chatty Knitter

USA
270 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2003 :  07:15:30 AM  Show Profile Send JudyM a Private Message
Oh, how good it felt having so many friends help me out within hours! I used Kelley's method, and while it was a little tedious (socks on size 2 needles), it did work. Don't worry, the vigilant cat is responsible for keeping the rats away. He also "helps" by asking me to get up and open the door for him at frequent intervals - probably how the stitch dropped in the first place.

Go to Top of Page

JudyM
Chatty Knitter

USA
270 Posts

Oh, how good it felt having so many friends help me out within hours! I used Kelley's method, and while it was a little tedious (socks on size 2 needles), it did work. Don't worry, the vigilant cat is responsible for keeping the rats away. He also "helps" by asking me to get up and open the door for him at frequent intervals - probably how the stitch dropped in the first place.

Go to Top of Page

JudyM
Chatty Knitter

USA
270 Posts

Go to Top of Page

chris
Permanent Resident

USA
2463 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2003 :  09:23:36 AM  Show Profile Send chris a Private Message
Whew! Now that it's fixed, I have a question: If Judy had just pulled the stitch to the back and tacked it down, would she have had to make an increase in the current row to make sure she had the correct number of stitches? Or would she just have kept knitting the number she had at that point?

chris

Keep on knittin', mama, knittin' those blues away!
Go to Top of Page

chris
Permanent Resident

USA
2463 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2003 :  09:23:36 AM  Show Profile Send chris a Private Message
Whew! Now that it's fixed, I have a question: If Judy had just pulled the stitch to the back and tacked it down, would she have had to make an increase in the current row to make sure she had the correct number of stitches? Or would she just have kept knitting the number she had at that point?

chris

Keep on knittin', mama, knittin' those blues away!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 2.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?