Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Worst Project Nightmare
 Hanne Falkenberg Design....
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

tsarina
Chatty Knitter

USA
123 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2006 :  6:54:17 PM  Show Profile Send tsarina a Private Message
I'm so glad to have found this thread, as I was planning on purchasing this kit when in Copenhagen in a few weeks...should I??? Or is the pattern totally a pain-in-the-"you know what"??? I loved the shape, but really don't want to deal with a kit-from-hell......
I don't mind a challenge, but I want it to be fun..
Thanks! Elizabeth

Well behaved women rarely make history!
Go to Top of Page

~bananaKnits~
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
516 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2006 :  5:21:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit ~bananaKnits~'s Homepage  Send ~bananaKnits~ a Yahoo! Message Send ~bananaKnits~ a Private Message
Elizabeth, yes yes yes, it's a beautiful sweater! I love mine. The pattern is a bit getting used to but if you have problems there is plenty of us out there to help you out. Hanne

I know that I started this thread with my worst nightmare, but once I got over the initial hurdle it was smooth sailing. The problem I had at first is that I did not read the pattern carefully. I did not realize that the front panel had different "short row" count than the other panels. Once I figured that out it was just a lot of stitches and lots of short rows. There is a lady on the Falkenberg knitalong who actually created a spreadsheet for the Mermaid, if you have spreadsheet experience I suggest to do that. I just hand wroted each section and kept track row by row.

Now I'm knitting the Mermaid and I think I've "tuned" into Hanne's style of writing the pattern and it seems a lot easier.

Good luck.

Happy Knitting,

ana

http://bananaknits.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

caroledward
Chatty Knitter

USA
142 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2006 :  06:26:46 AM  Show Profile Send caroledward a Private Message
Hi all;

Has anyone tried the Diva? I love this sweater but have been put off by all I hear about reading Hanne's patterns. Is the Diva as bad as the others? It looks like it might be a little easier. I would really like to hear about any experiences with this pattern.

Thanks

Carole
Go to Top of Page

beth02116
Warming Up

69 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2006 :  08:34:33 AM  Show Profile Send beth02116 a Private Message
I made DIVA- my first HF. I found the pattern pretty straight forward -after I read it MANY times. My only problem was - I ran out of yarn (making the largest size). I found after washing it it GREW and is now too big to wear. I would make again - but in a smaller size and make it longer- it really was too short to look good on me.
I have since made her Stella Beret (3 times!) and love the simplicity of it. Her patterns just take some thorough reading to understand at first- but all very logical. AND WORTH IT! I will buy another when i find a flattering style for my body type.
Enjoy!
Go to Top of Page

Vanadia
Gabber Extraordinaire

Denmark
511 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2006 :  10:00:28 AM  Show Profile Send Vanadia a Private Message
My experience after knitting DaCapo and Mermaid is to stop thinking, do exactly what the pattern tells you to and read to the END of the section. Her sizes and esp sleeves are a bit on the large side. Once you get used to her style of writing it is quite easy.

I guess part of the difficulty is that Scandinavian and American style of pattern writing is very different. Scandinavian patterns contains the necessary information to knit the pattern. It is quite common to find statements like "knit the left front like the first but reverse shapings".
American patterns are often very elaborate and spell everything out, so switching to minimalistic Scandinavian style may be difficult.
Go to Top of Page

sydo
Chatty Knitter

USA
225 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2006 :  10:30:20 AM  Show Profile  Send sydo a Yahoo! Message Send sydo a Private Message
Has anyone knit LaStrada?? I am tempted but all the discussion about sizes and pattern difficulties has me hestitating.

If anyone has knit LaStrada, how difficult was the project, and how did you find the size when you finished.

I may not be up to this!

Sydo
Go to Top of Page

sydo
Chatty Knitter

USA
225 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2006 :  10:35:47 AM  Show Profile  Send sydo a Yahoo! Message Send sydo a Private Message
Has anyone knit LaStrada?? I am tempted but all the discussion about sizes and pattern difficulties has me hestitating.

If anyone has knit LaStrada, how difficult was the project, and how did you find the size when you finished.

I may not be up to this!

Sydo
Go to Top of Page

caroledward
Chatty Knitter

USA
142 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2006 :  09:50:11 AM  Show Profile Send caroledward a Private Message
Thanks Beth - maybe I will get brave and try the Diva. It doesn't sounds too intimidating and it looks easier than a lot of her other designs.

Carole
Go to Top of Page

Knitasha
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
355 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2006 :  12:37:53 PM  Show Profile Send Knitasha a Private Message
Uh-oh.

I snapped up a Ballerina kit in the good-enough-to-eat
cyclamen/rust/mustard/blueberry colorway more than a year ago
on eBay, at a price so low I will not repeat it out of respect for weak hearts.
Gave the directions a swift once-over and, not having Amanda's quick eye for a poorly-written pattern, concluded it was going to be a relative cinch to make.
It's in the closet now, waiting for my early-October vacation, when I plan to launch the project.

Thanks to the heads-up from Petrova, Amanda et al, I now know I'd better do a rewrite first. Hope mine ends up nearly as handsome as Ana's.

Re the slipping-back problem: one way to counteract it is to fasten it with a big, heavy pin. And: does anyone remember the thin ribbon straps that used to be sewn into coats, especially furs, so that you could hang them off your shoulders glamorously, a la 30's movie stars, without having them land on the floor? I wonder if there's a way to adapt that idea to keeping a sweater on your shoulders? To be determined....
Go to Top of Page

Knitasha
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
355 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2006 :  12:42:30 PM  Show Profile Send Knitasha a Private Message
Uh-oh.

I snapped up a Ballerina kit in the good-enough-to-eat
cyclamen/rust/mustard/blueberry colorway more than a year ago
on eBay, at a price so low I will not repeat it out of respect for weak hearts.
Gave the directions a swift once-over and, not having Amanda's quick eye for a poorly-written pattern, concluded it was going to be a relative cinch to make.
It's in the closet now, waiting for my early-October vacation, when I plan to launch the project.

Thanks to the heads-up from Petrova, Amanda et al, I now know I'd better do a rewrite first. Hope mine ends up nearly as handsome as Ana's.

Re the slipping-back problem: one way to counteract it is to fasten it with a big, heavy pin. And: does anyone remember the thin ribbon straps that used to be sewn into coats, especially furs, so that you could hang them off your shoulders glamorously, a la 30's movie stars, without having them land on the floor? I wonder if there's a way to adapt that idea to keeping a sweater on your shoulders? To be determined....
Go to Top of Page

momofgirls
New Pal

5 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2006 :  5:12:03 PM  Show Profile Send momofgirls a Private Message
Oh boy, a good friend of mine just started "mermaid" from this collections, and she paid a "boat load" for it. I think I'll send her this way to see what you all are saying. I'll hold off with trying one any time soon!

yarn.needles.create.
http://www.fibre-yarns.com
Go to Top of Page

gwtreece
Permanent Resident

USA
7254 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2006 :  05:51:09 AM  Show Profile  Send gwtreece a Yahoo! Message Send gwtreece a Private Message
I have been wanting to get Diva but have been hestitating. I think I just need to bite the bullet and get it.

Wanda
My Blog
Go to Top of Page

JGOLOSO
Gabber Extraordinaire

491 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2006 :  05:55:08 AM  Show Profile Send JGOLOSO a Private Message
I don't think the directions are *that bad*....they are not super simple, but there is a Hanne Falkenberg knitalong online and there are lots of people there that can help you through the pattern. I started Mermaid awhile ago, but I put it down, because I was trying to knit it while commuting on the train and it is really not one of those things you can do on the train. So, I am hoping to pick it up again in the near future. I got lots of help from the knitalong, site, though. Lots of inspiration, too.

J.
Go to Top of Page

~bananaKnits~
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
516 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2006 :  3:15:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit ~bananaKnits~'s Homepage  Send ~bananaKnits~ a Yahoo! Message Send ~bananaKnits~ a Private Message
I realized that if you just go to my blog you will have to search around for the link. This is the exact entry:
http://bananaknits.blogspot.com/2006/06/banana-ballerina.html

Happy Knitting,

http://bananaknits.blogspot.com/

and my sock blog: http://bananasocks.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

dschmidt
Permanent Resident

3941 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2006 :  11:32:40 AM  Show Profile Send dschmidt a Private Message
So the second picture is you, right? Ballerina looks great in both pictures. I am hoping to get back to my Mermaid in the next couple of weeks.

Donna in VA
Go to Top of Page

Mimi1007
New Pal

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2006 :  7:20:23 PM  Show Profile Send Mimi1007 a Private Message
I'm just staring the Mermaid and am already having trouble deciphering the instructions. Does anybody know how many inches to knit the I-cord?? She just says to make it to fit the appropriate size! And it's the 1st step! I must be overlooking something because I don't think I'm that clueless. I'm making (or trying to make) the small, if that's any help, and am already feeling beaten by this project. HELP!!
Go to Top of Page

KathyR
Permanent Resident

New Zealand
2969 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2006 :  7:26:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit KathyR's Homepage Send KathyR a Private Message
For the small size the cord needs to be at least 171 rows long. I would suggest that instead of counting each row as you knit it you could knit, say, 20 rows then measure to see how long it. You would then knit your cord at least 9 times the length you got for 20 rows.

Happy knitting!

KathyR
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
Go to Top of Page

Mimi1007
New Pal

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2006 :  7:32:38 PM  Show Profile Send Mimi1007 a Private Message
How did you figure that out? Thanks for the tip!
Go to Top of Page

Mimi1007
New Pal

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2006 :  7:34:41 PM  Show Profile Send Mimi1007 a Private Message
Ah! You're making one row of I-cord for each st. to be picked up! Now I see how Hanne's devious mind works.
Go to Top of Page

KathyR
Permanent Resident

New Zealand
2969 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2006 :  3:26:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit KathyR's Homepage Send KathyR a Private Message
You've got it! There is a Mermaid knitalong (I think it is the one mentioned on a previous page) which suggests that doing a provisional cast-on first then going back later and knitting on an attached I-cord is a neater way of starting off and better matches the other side. Your choice!

KathyR
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.72 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?