Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A new whodunit about a true yarn whisperer
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Worst Project Nightmare
 Hanne Falkenberg Design....
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

glccafar
Seriously Hooked

825 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2005 :  2:17:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit glccafar's Homepage Send glccafar a Private Message
Wow, your new project is going so quickly! I really like those colors.
Are you going to keep both versions for you, or is someone getting a truly spectacular holiday present?
Go to Top of Page

knitterbug42
New Pal

USA
39 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2006 :  7:30:38 PM  Show Profile Send knitterbug42 a Private Message
I checked out your sweater on your site, it is absolutely beuatiful!! Well done.

KELLY
Go to Top of Page

dschmidt
Permanent Resident

3958 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2006 :  7:52:37 PM  Show Profile Send dschmidt a Private Message
I must say Mermaid is going well for me. I've gotten used to Hanne's way of phrasing and I like the look of the edge stitches (wyib, wyif) on this jacket very much. I've finished one front and half of the back --it's all one piece. The gauge and needle size make this slow going compared to other projects but I think it iwll be worht it in the end.

Donna in VA
Go to Top of Page

Lissa
Permanent Resident

USA
4942 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2006 :  9:33:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit Lissa's Homepage Send Lissa a Private Message
Goodness - just beautiful!

Lissa

During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a
revolutionary act. -- George Orwell

Oh, and I now have a blog:http://knittnlissa.typepad.com/knittnlissa/
Go to Top of Page

gulf knitter
Seriously Hooked

USA
737 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2006 :  10:45:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit gulf knitter's Homepage Send gulf knitter a Private Message
Beautiful sweater!

Sarah.
Go to Top of Page

Lea 1952
New Pal

USA
39 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2006 :  7:36:46 PM  Show Profile Send Lea 1952 a Private Message
I've only knit one Hanna Falkenberg...it was her first design. It really was the pattern from hell. I am wearing it at this very minute, though...if that is a bit of inspiration to those still in the jaws of the demon. I have a terrible sense of direction. I cannot read a compass. I get lost easily when driving. I can't even seem to learn a GPS. I was doing just fine with the complex...start at the sleeve, decrease, all the beautiful mitered corners. Hey hey, this is a breeze.. "What...wait a minute." Oh Drat. "Repeat directions in reverse for second half of sweater." O my god. If lovely little Hanna had been anywhere in my vicinity I would have boxed her ears. "Repeat directions in reverse..." you have got to be kidding. I pay over $300 for a sweater kit and I get half a pattern? Would it have KILLED YOU to give me the second half? I knit the sleeve with the increases on the top shoulder side not once, but TWICE! GRRRR. I was so so tempted on another kit a few years later because the shop had it discounted 50%. I made her fish out the pattern and told her I'd buy it if the second half of the sweater pattern was printed. It wasn't. I passed.
Go to Top of Page

just me
New Pal

1 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2006 :  11:30:24 PM  Show Profile Send just me a Private Message
I'm just preparing to start Hanne's Ballerina. This looks harder than the decapo. I love the pics of Hanne's kits, but they sure aren't all that much fun to knit. For what the kits cost, the instructions should be much better. One of her kits that is fun to knit tho is promenade. It's a shawl.
Go to Top of Page

cableready
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
386 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2006 :  05:41:21 AM  Show Profile Send cableready a Private Message
I am on the second sleeve of Tweedie. It has been a fun knit, with all the color changes, even though it is all knit.

I am , however, apprehensive about finishing because of the crochet involved. But I plan to take it one step at a time, with my trusty Learn to Crochet book by my side. I know very basic crochet, but do it so infrequently that every time I have to refresh my memory.

Pamela
Go to Top of Page

anderknit
Permanent Resident

USA
2599 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2006 :  06:01:32 AM  Show Profile Send anderknit a Private Message
I'm so glad I opened this thread. I cannot believe a designer would charge such dizzyingly high prices for a garment kit, and not make the effort to make the pattern reasonably comprehensible. I drooled over the "Mermaid" design, but now I've scratched it off the list. Not worth making myself crazy; there are many many wonderful patterns from which to chose.

"Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, 'I will try again tomorrow.' "
Go to Top of Page

dschmidt
Permanent Resident

3958 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2006 :  4:11:00 PM  Show Profile Send dschmidt a Private Message
So far I am not finding Mermaid hard to knit or the directions hard to follow. I do have to read a couple of times to be sure I understand and I have made a number of notes in the columns that have been helpful later on. I do that on all patterns. I think Mermaid may be a bit more straight forward since it does not include the mitering of the other designs.

Donna in VA
Go to Top of Page

cableready
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
386 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2006 :  08:59:41 AM  Show Profile Send cableready a Private Message
I finally finished Tweedie and am thrilled with the way it turned out. I thought the directions were fine. It was fun to knit, and I would make another of her designs.

Pamela

Go to Top of Page

annekl@aol.com
New Pal

5 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2006 :  09:27:33 AM  Show Profile Send annekl@aol.com a Private Message
[quote]Originally posted by petrova

It is turning into the project from hell.... I thought how hard could it be? It's all garter stitch with some short rows. I have knit, I have ripped, and knit and ripped, and counted and knit and short rowed. .....

This is very good to know about. I had a Falkenberg kit on my wishlist, but now I think I'll just stick to torturing myself with the Starmore kit I already have stashed in my attic.

Anne
Go to Top of Page

JudyW
Warming Up

USA
54 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2006 :  3:51:44 PM  Show Profile Send JudyW a Private Message
Did you guys know about the website from Denmark where you can order Hanne F. kits for $100-$120, including shipping? I first found out about it from this board. Here is the link: http://www.sommerfuglen.dk/ Be sure to click on the British flag in the upper righthand corner to get the site in English.

I am working on Dacapo, which I ordered from sommerfuglen a while ago. It is slow, but I love the way it looks so far (I finished the back section and I'm working on the right sleeve).

Ballerina looks harder, but very beautiful.

JudyW
Go to Top of Page

CJknits2much
Chatty Knitter

USA
217 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2006 :  08:05:17 AM  Show Profile Send CJknits2much a Private Message
These are beautiful kits and I love the pictures of the FOs. But I'm so glad to hear about the problems people are having. I think I'll stear clear for a while! I have enough frustration in life at the moment....

CJ
Go to Top of Page

Atavistic
Permanent Resident

6604 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2006 :  5:29:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit Atavistic's Homepage Send Atavistic a Private Message
I started the Ballerina Jacket. Gauge was a pain to get. I finally decided on a swatch where the stitch gauge was too wide (need smaller needles to get gauge) and the row gauge was too small (need bigger needles to get gauge) because I liked the drape. YES, I washed the swatches, etc.

I am done with one front, one sleeve, and ONE of the three gussets.

QUESTION! I have started the striped pattern after the first gusset. I am on the first ball of the contrast color and the fourth ball of the main color. Can anyone who's knit this tell me if that's about right?

I got a lot of knitting done today because Mr. A and I brought a friend of his down to the CAF so she could join and learn how to work on planes. (She became a celebrity, getting the spark plugs out of the SBD, she even had her picture taken. Generally the CAF has very few female volunteers...) I hung out in the clubhouse, reading books and knitting.

However. I am tired of garter stitch.

Amanda,
who
Knits

"Is that my Not-Mine Sweater? Whoever gets that Not-Mine Sweater is very lucky."
Go to Top of Page

galleylama
Seriously Hooked

753 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2006 :  04:03:55 AM  Show Profile Send galleylama a Private Message
Petrova, have you made any of her other sweaters? I am wondering if all of her patterns are a horror. There are a couple of other designs I am interested in but don't feel like any additional aggravation at this point.
It's funny how some of the most beautiful patterns have been written so poorly making them difficult to get through.

It is easier to be forgiven than to receive permission.
Go to Top of Page

JGOLOSO
Gabber Extraordinaire

491 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2006 :  05:47:52 AM  Show Profile Send JGOLOSO a Private Message
I am waiting for my Mermaid kit to arrive. After all that I have read about the way the patters are written, I would gladly pay someone to re-write it for me. Maybe, someone should take on that project! Hint Hint....Wouldn't that be great...a whole library of re-written Hanne patterns? I would love it. I like so many of her designs. I am hoping this one doesn't sour me on the whole bunch.

J.
Go to Top of Page

DeniseKnits
New Pal

2 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2006 :  05:15:33 AM  Show Profile Send DeniseKnits a Private Message
For anyone who's interested... There is a "Hanne Falkenberg Knitalong" located at hannealong.blogspot.com It's really a great help in interpreting these patterns.

If you're interested in doing the Mermaid... Amy has compiled a row by row spreadsheet for the medium which she is willing to share with you after confirming you own a copy of the pattern by answering a specific question from the pattern.

The medium is 744 rows for the body alone with another 194 for each sleeve. On a size 3 needle it takes awhile but these sweaters are so beautiful! I can't wait to finish mine.

~Denise~
Go to Top of Page

Dawnk1p1
New Pal

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2006 :  1:41:21 PM  Show Profile Send Dawnk1p1 a Private Message
I have totally given up on the Ballerina kit. I cannot get row gauge.
It will make a lovely shawl though.

Dawn
Go to Top of Page

~bananaKnits~
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
516 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2006 :  3:24:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit ~bananaKnits~'s Homepage  Send ~bananaKnits~ a Yahoo! Message Send ~bananaKnits~ a Private Message
Dawn,
No! Do not give up, just jump right in and start knitting, I'm of the thought that tha "gauge" is not that crucial. It is a very loose fitting sweater it won't matter! I promise. I've knitted two on size 3 needles and both turned out great!

http://hannealong.blogspot.com/

Happy Knitting,

ana

http://bananaknits.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.53 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000