Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Photos and wisdom from the Knitter's Review Retreat
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Things we do Besides Knitting
 Recipe Swap
 Holiday Baking - what's on your list?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

truly violet
Permanent Resident

6398 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2005 :  7:11:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit truly violet's Homepage Send truly violet a Private Message
ok I took the eggnog cookies to the spin group annual cookie swap...
I don't know if they liked them but bernie loved them
and now i have to make him his own personal batch.......
plus I have to make three huge trays for his job...
( although I think I can pad them out with chocolate kisses......and make two trays?)

who's coming to help me bake????

vi

none of this will matter in 100 years.......
except I will finally be at my goal weight...vi
http://notashyviolet.blogspot.com/ ~now with chickens!
Go to Top of Page

Yarn Delirious
Seriously Hooked

USA
777 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2005 :  8:25:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit Yarn Delirious's Homepage Send Yarn Delirious a Private Message
Vi, I'll pass by your house next week on the way home to upstate NY. Now, up there is where the goodies are. Maybe because the majority of folks of Italian descent in that area. I have my favorites! (shhhh - I'm Irish American - but some cousins are half Italian, as well as my best friend, who still lives up there.)

I don't care for the favored candies down here in Philly/South jersey area. Maybe I haven't lived her long enough.

Yarn Delirious blog
Go to Top of Page

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2005 :  9:48:42 PM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message
What are the favored candies in Philly? I never thought of that area as having local specialities. I'd guess they'd be Italian type?

Today I baked the Makovnik(poppy seed roll) and Orechovnik(nut roll) as well as some more Keksy(sugar cookies) The breads turned out great but might be too soft to mail to my friend.

"An injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Martin Luther King Jr.
www.femiknits.blog-city.com
Go to Top of Page

WendyB
Permanent Resident

3262 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2005 :  10:04:12 PM  Show Profile Send WendyB a Private Message
mokey, I love poppy seed cake. That poppy seed roll sounds yummy.
I made a tried and true banana nut bread and froze it for use on Christmas Day.

WendyB
Knit to your heart's delight.
Go to Top of Page

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2005 :  12:01:34 AM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message
This isn't actually a cake. It is a slightly sweet bread dough filled with a mixture of ground poppy seed, cinnamon, raisins, honey and lemon zest. The nut version is ground walnuts(not too finely ground - leave a few chunkier pieces), cinnamon, honey and rum. I'll share the recipe if anyone wnats but be warned it is in metric and in grams.

"An injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Martin Luther King Jr.
Go to Top of Page

truly violet
Permanent Resident

6398 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2005 :  04:15:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit truly violet's Homepage Send truly violet a Private Message
I don't know about favorites by region....
but I do know that THIS italian likes torrone....
(with only nuts)
and I like cannoli..... which in my family dialect is pronouced much differently.....I was 18 before I knew what the rest of the world called them......

an I only like it with citron....

I like our italian cookies....
and mom used to make these honey cluster thingies....

and we used to have a riccotta and rum sort of cheesecake with almond that I liked..... (but that is so rich just thinking about it fills you up)

now my family loved chocolate....
but not me
I am not really fond of chocolate.
( maybe beCAUSE my family insisted you could have any flavor as long as it was chocolate...)

ohohoh
halava......
hhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmm

and my Auntie Ann made a bananna date nut bread to die fore, she promised me the recipe and never gave it to me.....

it was dark.....sweet, sticky.... filled with dates and I don't remember what kind of nuts...
I adore it....
and I haven't had it for 30 years....
sniff

( gees I am SO junk food impaired.......what passes for junk food around here is almost healthy!)

vi

Go to Top of Page

Inkmama
Seriously Hooked

891 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2005 :  09:55:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit Inkmama's Homepage Send Inkmama a Private Message
Speaking of being Italian and the cookies....I'm Italian, too, and my Aunt Teresa always would make mountains of cookies. I especially liked the pizelles, and since died before giving me the recipe. Imagine! Maybe I'll search out a recipe for pizelles online.

Anyway, my 11-year-old son Travis loves to bake and so we started the other day with gingerbread people (his description), then chocolate/vanilla pinwheels (which are really peppermint pinwheels because they have peppermint extract--not vanilla--and smashed peppermint candy in the vanilla part (he saw them on the food network and had to make them), peanut butter cookies, Vienese cresents with pecans, and we have cutout dough chilling right now. This thread has given me ideas--lemon bars, which I've never made but love--and snickerdoodles, which I love and always forget at holiday time. We may also make some candy, Toffee, which I've never made but just bought a candy thermometer at Sur le Table the other day.

Barbara

Writing blog: http://penonfire.blogspot.com

Knitting blog: http://knittingonfire.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

MomToTwo
Chatty Knitter

221 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2005 :  08:01:55 AM  Show Profile Send MomToTwo a Private Message
Ummmm, I've been drooling as I read this thread. I make an assortment of cookies for the holidays, although the types I make now either don't contain chocolate or any milk products, or have to be amenable to substituting soymilk for the milk and oil for the butter.

So my current list is Zaletti (cornmeal cookies with and without golden raisens); Seseme Cookies (not real sweet, but my favorite); and "Italian" Cookies in the traditional anise flavor icing as well as some with lemon flavor instead. These my kids help with, as the dough is fun to roll into balls and once baked and cooled they dip them into the icing and then into nonpariels/sprinkles/jimmies (yellow for the lemon ones).

I also make pies - at least two Pecan and sometimes pumpkin and apple as well. I used to make a to-die-for chocolate mousse pie every Christmas, but alas once the kid's allergies were diagnosed - well there is no good substitute for chocolate and soy milk and soy cream cheese just don't seem like they would do the job.

- Zack
Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2005 :  10:31:01 AM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message
Starting over. My SIL found the stash in the freezer. There won't be very many cookies this year...........LOL

fran

http://www.geocities.com/martian_mischief/
Go to Top of Page

WendyB
Permanent Resident

3262 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2005 :  11:09:57 AM  Show Profile Send WendyB a Private Message
lol! Oh no, Fran. You should have labeled them "gizzard guts," or "hen's toenails" or "pickled elephant toejam," or something like that!

WendyB
Knit to your heart's delight.
Go to Top of Page

Monkachia
Permanent Resident

USA
1224 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2005 :  12:28:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit Monkachia's Homepage Send Monkachia a Private Message
I'm making:
Dried Cherry and Pistachio Biscotti
Chewy Sugar Almond Cookies (only I might have lost the recipe, oh no)
Big Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies
Gingerbread Cookies
Shortbread
Vanilla Cream Pie

I also got a Fruitcake from Gethesmani Farms for my birthday (as per a few KRers recommendations), it hasn't arrived yet, but I'm waiting and salivating...

Chia
Go to Top of Page

rebeccaL
Seriously Hooked

721 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2005 :  06:28:50 AM  Show Profile Send rebeccaL a Private Message
Here's what we ended up making:
Piparkökur
Spritz cookies
Almond crescents
Chocolate mini-M&M cookies
Cream cheese jam tarts
Chocolate and vanilla wreaths
Mince and cream cheese pinwheels

Rebecca

-------------------------------
Visit my blog at
http://www.spacesheep.com/Fiber/knitblog.html
Go to Top of Page

Knitrageous
Permanent Resident

USA
1445 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2005 :  09:13:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit Knitrageous's Homepage Send Knitrageous a Private Message
You ladies are incredible! Vi...I'd like to visit you!

I just can't get in the spirit this year. Don't have anything done and don't want to do it. Major depression...for whatever reasons. But reading this thread makes me want to better. Next year!

~~~~Jamye
Go to Top of Page

yarnlover
Permanent Resident

1753 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2005 :  09:36:33 AM  Show Profile Send yarnlover a Private Message
quote:
In my family we called them "Kriss-Chicky" - is that close, or can anyone tell me the Polish way to say it?

Polish heritage, but don't speak the language, so this is the American version of pronunciation. Our family pronounces them "angel wings." [:00]

I don't know if that is the translation or not, but if someone used the Polish version it was more like "cruze-cheeky," so you are close. But then again, maybe Poland has different accents in different areas, much like we do.

I agree that these are a wonderful treat. My SIL's aunt just made a big batch for a wedding shower and I'm hoping there will be more for Christmas.

See My Stuff: Here

Go to Top of Page

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2005 :  1:13:31 PM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message
My family is Slovak so our pronounciation will be different, but the Polish guys at work say "Krusch"(as in Nikita Kruschev)- schee(as in sheet)-kii.

I said I wouldn't make much but in addition to the keksy I have also made Tipsy Parkin(should be ready to eat Thursday), makovnik, orechovnik, white chocolate almond rumballs and pepparkakor.

I decided to spend more time decorating cookies than baking them this year.

Go to Top of Page

truly violet
Permanent Resident

6398 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2005 :  1:19:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit truly violet's Homepage Send truly violet a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Knitrageous

You ladies are incredible! Vi...I'd like to visit you!

I just can't get in the spirit this year. Don't have anything done and don't want to do it. Major depression...for whatever reasons. But reading this thread makes me want to better. Next year!

~~~~Jamye

wear old clothes as we are still under construction in the kitchen...
which is currently in the living room...

you aren't afraid of chickens are you?
AND if you can see to drive at night...we got a BARN to go to!
vi

Go to Top of Page

chellethinques
Permanent Resident

USA
1431 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2005 :  1:40:39 PM  Show Profile Send chellethinques a Private Message
OK, stop it guys! I'm now in the baking mood-
This year's list:
Orange gumdrops (yep, homemade gumdrops - my mom's recipe)
Viennese crescents (again, Mom's, with vanilla bean powdered sugar)
Cocoa-sour cherry cookies
Almond toast (like biscotti)
Raspberry shortcake bars
Gingerbread houses
Sugar cutouts - frosted by the kids
Neighbors and coworkers will get a plate of goodies, and the rest will come with us to the huge family gathering at DH's parents' house.
Go to Top of Page

Knitrageous
Permanent Resident

USA
1445 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2005 :  2:02:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit Knitrageous's Homepage Send Knitrageous a Private Message
"you aren't afraid of chickens are you?"

I'm the one with those naked neck chickens...remember?

~~~~Jamye
Go to Top of Page

Chayah
Permanent Resident

1927 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2005 :  6:03:18 PM  Show Profile Send Chayah a Private Message
Latkes for Chanukah, and Applesauce Oatmeal Bread to share at work.
Chayah
Go to Top of Page

truly violet
Permanent Resident

6398 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2005 :  6:17:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit truly violet's Homepage Send truly violet a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Knitrageous

"you aren't afraid of chickens are you?"

I'm the one with those naked neck chickens...remember?

~~~~Jamye

the turkens

hahaha
they are so ugly they are cute
and yes I did forget
I forget everything
amazing I can function at all huh?

vi

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.3 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?