Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Yarn Talk
 Stash management
 Attractive ways to show off stash?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

beh2g
Chatty Knitter

USA
244 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2005 :  07:06:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit beh2g's Homepage Send beh2g a Private Message

Hey guys :)

(You knew the yarn diet wouldn't last, right? What with graduation money flowing like water and me being so good to save 70% of it?)

My stash has recently exploded due to yarn gifts (love my family) as well as gift certificates. Normally I have just an "ok" stash, but now it's full of handpaints, cashmere (!!) and other goodies. I really want to show my stash almost like a decorative object, instead of in boxes. I already have one yarn condo, which is good for storing large projects in progress, but doesn't show the yarn off at all. Do you have any ideas for storage?

I should mention that I don't want to buy a piece of furniture since we plan on moving in 6 months and I'd rather not add to the strain if I can help it. However I am very good with my hands (duh!) and can build all sorts of stuff. Have you seen anything on the net that might be inspiring??

I guess should it become too much, I know where I can give some yarn to a good home..

truly violet
Permanent Resident

6398 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2005 :  08:01:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit truly violet's Homepage Send truly violet a Private Message
well depending on where you live and the state of the wool eating pests...
how about aquariums?
one of them seamless ones set on the side so it is taller and put a acrylic door on the side

if you let them have too much light you can run the risk of fading however...

and open air......well again with the wool eating buggies

so it is up to you

and other folks will come along and tell you other solutions
so that you will have a lot to chose from

vi

none of this will matter in 100 years.......
except I will finally be at my goal weight...vi
http://notashyviolet.blogspot.com/ ~now with chickens!
Go to Top of Page

MMario
Permanent Resident

2210 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2005 :  08:08:12 AM  Show Profile Send MMario a Private Message
I like the look of yarn in wicker - so you could pick up some of those cheap,cheap wicker-like baskets they sell in chain stores -

or another interesting look would be to use one of those hanging tiered wire baskets they make for fruits and veggies.

MMario - I don't live in the 21st century - but I play a character who does.
Go to Top of Page

LittleMousling
Permanent Resident

USA
1093 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2005 :  08:11:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit LittleMousling's Homepage Send LittleMousling a Private Message
I use cheap soft-sided canvas cubes. You can get them in a variety of colors so it's usually easy to match the room's decor, and you can tuck the repetitive stuff/boring yarn/yarn that clashes with the room down below and display the nicest stuff on top, or the stuff you're planning to use next.

-Molly, obsessive but not exclusive socknitter
Stash photos and some FOs
Go to Top of Page

fiddlestix
Chatty Knitter

100 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2005 :  08:31:42 AM  Show Profile Send fiddlestix a Private Message
How about those square crates that hang and they have an "X" shaped shelf thingie partitioning them for displaying wine? I saw some at a home store and am thinking of hanging them on the wall to put yarn in them. I even saw yarn displayed in a store this way. I think the ones I saw were painted black. You could even make them yourself and carry your yarn to your new home in them.
Go to Top of Page

probablyjane
Permanent Resident

United Kingdom
1227 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2005 :  08:35:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit probablyjane's Homepage Send probablyjane a Private Message
What about a lovely bowl in which you place a selection of yarns, like a flower arrangement and change them every week - would be an excuse to visit the stash regularly - and might give you ideas of colour combinations that you didn't consider before, or to live with a colour scheme for a project for a little while to see if it still appeals to you. That way the rest of the stash can stay out of the way and unmolested!

Best wishes

Jane

'What's so funny 'bout peace, love and understanding?' Elvis Costello
http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/janelithgow/album
Go to Top of Page

fiddlestix
Chatty Knitter

100 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2005 :  08:37:48 AM  Show Profile Send fiddlestix a Private Message
OOps, I almost forgot. For small leftover balls and the knittable skeins from Elann, I use a large apothecary jar that I got at Target. I love looking at the yarn through the glass, and it makes a nice piece of "knitting art" in my bookcase.
Go to Top of Page

angelchrys
Warming Up

USA
68 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2005 :  7:27:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit angelchrys's Homepage  Send angelchrys a Yahoo! Message Send angelchrys a Private Message
I have mine lining the shelves of a bookcase that was going unused.

We won't mention the unsightly plastic tubs of acrylic and cotton ease.
Go to Top of Page

Boondoggled
Chatty Knitter

USA
305 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2005 :  3:26:48 PM  Show Profile Send Boondoggled a Private Message
Has anyone heard of a way to hang hanks using some sort of fishing gadget? Hanging seems like it would be a neat idea.
Go to Top of Page

Lobolita
Chatty Knitter

126 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2005 :  6:32:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit Lobolita's Homepage Send Lobolita a Private Message
You could easily hang hanks from one of those expanding criss-cross coat racks. Oak would look nice.

If you like, take a look at the handdyed yarns at my shop: http://twowaters.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

altobarb
New Pal

USA
48 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2005 :  09:51:00 AM  Show Profile Send altobarb a Private Message
I saw this idea at the Rhinebeck Sheep and Wool Festival. I purchased 4 of these: http://tinyurl.com/b8jmp (or you might prefer the smaller version: http://tinyurl.com/ajnhg). Then my sweetie hung a dowel from the ceiling and we hung those for things along it. I now have a lovely wall'o'yarn! I can change the colors, too, by using different colors of yarn inside. They're a bit opaque, so the yarn colors are protected some, but clear enough for me to see exactly what's inside. I love 'em!

(If for some reason, the url's don't work, go to IKEA and look up Fangst and miniFangst in the children's storage thingies.)

Hope this helps!
Best,
Barbara in Brooklyn
Go to Top of Page

HellaHelen
Chatty Knitter

USA
344 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2005 :  11:30:13 AM  Show Profile Send HellaHelen a Private Message
I second the apothecary jar idea! I love the idea of displaying beautiful yarns in huge glass jars. Do be careful of exposure to UV light, though--it causes degeneration of the yarn itself, in addition to fading the beautiful colors. Best to display your yarn far away from your sunniest windows.

Helen
Go to Top of Page

minh
Permanent Resident and Destasher Extraordinnaire

USA
3464 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2005 :  11:41:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit minh's Homepage Send minh a Private Message
If you don't have glass jars, you can use your transparent vases, put the yarn inside and them put the vase upside down on a pretty plate :)

Minh (who received way too many vases as wedding presents...)
Go to Top of Page

Inkmama
Seriously Hooked

891 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2005 :  1:57:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit Inkmama's Homepage Send Inkmama a Private Message
I store yarn in an antique birdcage that I picked up at a flea market and painted white (see http://knittingonfire.blogspot.com/2005/06/where-my-yarn-lives.html) and other yarn in another vintage house-shaped construction that I also bought at a flea market.

Barbara

Writing blog: http://penonfire.blogspot.com

Knitting blog: http://knittingonfire.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Valk_scot
Permanent Resident

United Kingdom
1281 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2005 :  4:02:02 PM  Show Profile Send Valk_scot a Private Message
Yarn covered in dust? Hmmmmmmm....oh well, as long as no-one in the house smokes, there`s no kittys or children and you rotate (and dusts)the yarn regularly.
I fyou want to hang hanks up, how about one of these racks you use for hanging cooking pots and stuff from in the kitchen? The kind that suspend from the ceiling by chains?

Val.

[img]http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/26/26_9_21.gif[/img]
Go to Top of Page

Bristolknits
Chatty Knitter

USA
173 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2005 :  09:16:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bristolknits's Homepage Send Bristolknits a Private Message
I recently purchased a relatively inexpensive DVD bookcase at the Christmas Tree shop...and lined the 5 shelves with my wool yarn.
My aunt had these really large clear barrel containers...I think about 50 pounds of pretzels came in them from Costco! Anyway they now are housing some of her yarn!

Carol in Vermont
http://groups.msn.com/KnewKnitter
http://vtknitter.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

HellaHelen
Chatty Knitter

USA
344 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2005 :  09:29:06 AM  Show Profile Send HellaHelen a Private Message
Now someday when you move to a more permanent location, it has always been one of my fantasies to have some of those beautiful bookcases--I forget what they call them, but the ones with the lift-up glass doors over each shelf? That kind. Can't you picture a bookcase filled up with beautiful yarn, all kept safe (from dust, cats, etc.) behind glass doors?

Helen
Go to Top of Page

KellyKnits
Permanent Resident

USA
1608 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2005 :  10:37:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit KellyKnits's Homepage Send KellyKnits a Private Message
barrister book case

Kelly
Go to Top of Page

KnitKnut
Permanent Resident

USA
1246 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2005 :  12:56:44 PM  Show Profile Send KnitKnut a Private Message
I've mentioned this before, so my apologies to those of you who have already seen this.
I regard beautiful yarns as decorative objects, and make them part of the decor in my house. I have different containers (bowls, baskets, a small chest) in different rooms. I find the best colors to add, and use those skeins in those rooms. You could use glass parfait glasses and put in many tiny balls of yarn. You could use containers for bath salts, pitchers, mugs, vases, etc. The ideas are endless.
You could put them on tables, in bookshelves, on top of any flat surface, tucked into any cubbyhole, wherever they add color and interest. I have one basket in my office, filled with wonderful winter yarns, and with a pair of brass knitting needles stuck into the skeins, sitting on a small, low table that doubles as a footstool. I've also filled a glass bowl with small balls and used it as a centerpiece on a glass table. Other baskets are scattered around the house. And yes, it does help that we don't have any pets or small children.
My yarn goodies have started many a conversation when someone comes to the house for the first time and sees them. I have found a few knitters that way, who never mentioned it until they saw my yarns.
Of course, the best part is I get to see some of my stash even if I'm too busy to knit it right then.

Marie from NC
Go to Top of Page

booglass
Permanent Resident

Costa Rica
1987 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2005 :  1:24:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit booglass's Homepage Send booglass a Private Message
Suddenly my clear Rubbermaid container storage system seems dull and unimaginative. My hubby is very supportive of my habit but if I tried to decorate with yarn, all bets would be off. Afterall, I haven't been able to swing my dream of a flowery shabby chic guest room set up with a tv and a comfy chair for me to knit in all the girly glory. And the guest room in the new house is too small for that to happen.......but I digress.

bonnie

Check out my blog:
http://www.booglass.typepad.com
Go to Top of Page

kdavies
Warming Up

USA
60 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2005 :  7:12:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit kdavies's Homepage  Send kdavies a Yahoo! Message Send kdavies a Private Message
My husband has been building bookcases for our collection (some in storage for over 5 years!) So the next couple of sets he builds, he plans to put boxes in various places on the shelves, just here and there, scattered throughout. I'll be able to put my yarn there, nestled in amongst the books.

We also saw a set of 4 wicker baskets that slide like drawers into a sort of A frame case. We'll be using one of those in the room I usually knit in to store my tools and the yarns I'm currently working with. I can't wait 'til we get it (hopefully next month)!

So, two ideas for you...both fairly easy to make, especially if you already have baskets for the second one. Currently I have 4 wicker baskets full of yarn under the Christmas tree because we had to make room for the tree and my poor yarn got booted...until I slide it underneath...they look like fabulous gifts!

Kathy
Knitting Noodles

The Lord says: "Get ready to be Amazed, for I will do great things; you would not believe them if you were told." Habakkuk 1:5
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.67 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?