Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Yarn Talk
 Never Again!
 KnitPicks Simple Stripes
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

moxie
Seriously Hooked

844 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2005 :  12:30:39 PM  Show Profile Send moxie a Private Message
This yarn is such a disappointment! Looks like one of the expensive self-striping yarns like Regia, and the price can't be beat, but the feel is very rough, and I've been pulling out lots of scratchy vegetable matter and what looks like prickly hairs. I'd return the yarn if I hadn't almost finished one sock already (with as many scratchy bits as I could find pulled out.)

Moxie

MMario
Permanent Resident

2208 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2005 :  12:34:46 PM  Show Profile Send MMario a Private Message
A shame you got some like this. I haven't found any vegetable matter in my Knitpicks yarn - but have found it in Kidsilk haze, Kid Seta, rowan Cash-soft and in several other varieties of yarn I've paid much more for.

MMario - I don't live in the 21st century - but I play a character who does.
Go to Top of Page

westcoastchica
Seriously Hooked

Canada
788 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2005 :  2:50:37 PM  Show Profile Send westcoastchica a Private Message
I haven't found any miscellaneous matter in any of my KnitPicks yarns either...

As for the softness, I suggest a machine wash and dry. I've never used Simple Stripes, but my second favorite pair of socks is knit out of Parade, which I assume would behave similarly since it's a superwash. I was worried about the softness when I was knitting with it, but like so many superwashes, it improves SIGNIFICANTLY after a spin through the laundry.

http://sapphyreknits.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

abbierose
Seriously Hooked

USA
985 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2005 :  3:01:07 PM  Show Profile Send abbierose a Private Message
I have a pair of Simple Stripes on as I type. I agree, they're definitely not that soft. But for all the more they cost to make, they're great for scruffing around the house in

Melissa
Tia Knits
Go to Top of Page

desi_knitter
Gabber Extraordinaire

507 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2005 :  5:14:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit desi_knitter's Homepage Send desi_knitter a Private Message
I just finished a sock out of Knitpicks Dancing (you can see the really lurid colour on my blog below), and I don't like it at all. The twist and elastic is especially irritating. But I'll wash it and see if it softens...

Visit my new blog:
http://desiknitter.typepad.com
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.42 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.