Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Yarn Talk
 Talk about yarns reviewed in Knitter's Review
 KnitPicks Merino Style - blocking question
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

COgirl
Permanent Resident

USA
2176 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2005 :  09:25:40 AM  Show Profile Send COgirl a Private Message
I bought this yarn to make a sweater for my sister. I've done a gauge swatch, but my gauge always changes once I'm in my "knitting funk" so I'm never completely certain. I'm making a simple raglan sweater (in the round) so nothing fancy. The yarn seems delightful.

I know I should wash my swatch to see how the gauge will finally end up, but I don't have a lot of time since this is for her birthday on Dec. 18th. Those of you who have used this yarn, is there any give when you block it? I've found with so many yarns that I get an extra inch or so when I block. I never manage to shrink them.

Perhaps I should just start with the sleeves and check my gauge then since a few stitches won't make much of a difference. Plus I can always control the number of stitches. But I'd appreciate knowing of your experience with the finished product.

maevezana@yahoo.com

USA
Posted - 11/27/2005 :  09:29:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit maevezana@yahoo.com's Homepage  Send maevezana@yahoo.com a Yahoo! Message Send maevezana@yahoo.com a Private Message
all i've made with this yarn is a pair of mittens - but there was quite a lot of give when i blocked them (they're knit at super tight gauge on US2 needles!) But one of my friends knit a sweater and had it grow and "get floppy" on her. So you probably want to take the time to do a swatch as I'm pretty sure it'll loosen up a lot when you rinse/block it, and it would be a shame if it turned out too big!

http://knittingmusing.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

styledbykristin
Gabber Extraordinaire

391 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2005 :  10:51:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit styledbykristin's Homepage Send styledbykristin a Private Message
I've made two sweaters in Knit Picks Merino Style. They loosened up a lot, but I counted on it. I strongly recommend a swatch washed before measuring your gauge. I made lace, so my gauge changed a lot, but I also did some stocking stitch and it loosened up, too.

Good luck,

Kristin

www.styledbykristin.com
kristin@styledbykristin.com

Happiness is not having what you want. It is wanting what you have.
Go to Top of Page

COgirl
Permanent Resident

USA
2176 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2005 :  11:19:28 AM  Show Profile Send COgirl a Private Message
I appreciate the comments. Since I don't have a lot of time, I think I'll start on the sleeves and block those before I work on the body. Or else I'll break down and to another gauge swatch and wash it.
Go to Top of Page

styledbykristin
Gabber Extraordinaire

391 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2005 :  3:50:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit styledbykristin's Homepage Send styledbykristin a Private Message
Blocking the sleeves will give you a good idea of how to adjust for the rest of the sweater. I hope it works out for you. Please post pictures for us when you are done!

Kristin

www.styledbykristin.com
kristin@styledbykristin.com

Happiness is not having what you want. It is wanting what you have.
Go to Top of Page

COgirl
Permanent Resident

USA
2176 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2005 :  10:17:52 PM  Show Profile Send COgirl a Private Message
I went ahead and did another gauge swatch and washed and blocked it. It's drying now, but I can tell that it did stretch a bit. I've decided to go ahead and make the sweater 40" around rather than 42" with a gauge of 5.5 st/in. If it's too small and I don't think I'll get much give when I block, I'll frog it.

I really do appreciate all of the comments. I always do a gauge swatch, I am just not in the habit of rinsing and blocking it. I think that's a good habit to get into.

This yarn seems pretty yummy I must say. The stitches are very well defined and it's very soft.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.39 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe