Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Can felt be fixed?
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Things we do Besides Knitting
 Recipe Swap
 German Recipe?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

butterflygirl13
Warming Up

78 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2005 :  11:36:34 PM  Show Profile Send butterflygirl13 a Private Message
When I was in Disney a few weeks ago we ate dinner at the German buffet in Epcot. They had some type of dessert that I don't know the name of, but it was awesome! I'm hoping someone here might recognize the description and give me the name so that I can search for a recipe. Or maybe even share their own recipe. It was a flat pastry type thing. Almost like a pie crust. It was topped with sliced almonds and something that made it sticky and sweet. Does this sound familiar to anyone?

Thanks.

Pam

KL
Permanent Resident

6041 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2005 :  07:49:09 AM  Show Profile Send KL a Private Message
Sounds like a Streudel to me. KL
Go to Top of Page

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2005 :  08:45:45 AM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message
Mind you strudel is not flat, but an ultra fine layers of dough, like mille feuilles. To me it sounds more like some type of danish, or maybe Linzer torte. Do you know if it was an actual German dish? I've been to buffets where the food has nothign to do with the supposed country, like Luxor in Las Vegas! Talk about a disappointment.

"An injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Martin Luther King Jr.
www.femiknits.blog-city.com
Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2005 :  09:25:53 AM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message
Its a shortcut but try this you will probably like it:
Line a 9 x 13 pan with crescent roll dough. (just open a pkg of refrigerator dough and press the seams together instead of making the rolls.
Mix together a brick of cream cheese and 1/2 C of powdered sugar and an egg and spread on top of the dough. You can also add vanilla or other flavoring if desired. Sprinkle with slivered almonds and bake about 15 to 20 minutes until lightly browned. Cut and serve.

variations: mix some jam or jelly into the cream cheese. Or sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar and pecans.

fran

http://www.geocities.com/martian_mischief/
Go to Top of Page

lemons
Permanent Resident

1692 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2005 :  2:50:05 PM  Show Profile Send lemons a Private Message
So write the restaurant and ask for the recipe - or at least the name of the dish. What can you lose?

lemons of missouri
Go to Top of Page

butterflygirl13
Warming Up

78 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2005 :  10:00:57 PM  Show Profile Send butterflygirl13 a Private Message
Thank you all for your suggestions. Fran -- I'm going to try your recipe. Maybe I will write and ask if they can give me the name. The worse that can happen is they don't answer me.

Thanks again.

Pam
Go to Top of Page

dschmidt
Permanent Resident

3983 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2005 :  4:15:47 PM  Show Profile Send dschmidt a Private Message
Sounds like a kuchen but I don't have a recipe.

Donna in VA
Go to Top of Page

xmasberry
Seriously Hooked

826 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2005 :  4:34:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit xmasberry's Homepage Send xmasberry a Private Message
sounds like Bienenstich to me. The recipe below is a bienenstch with filling, which i haven't had, but they seem to have a variety of german recipes. I have a german baking book at home i could look in, but it's all grams, no cup measurements.

http://recipesbycindy.homestead.com/Bienenstich.html

holly x
"do what you love, love what you do, leave the world a better place and don't pick your nose" -Jef Mallett
little miss messy hair's blog
Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2005 :  12:24:57 AM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message
OOPs, I just reread the recipe and I forgot to put an egg in the cream cheese mixture. Sorry.

fran

http://www.geocities.com/martian_mischief/
Go to Top of Page

mokumegane
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
558 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2005 :  9:02:31 PM  Show Profile Send mokumegane a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by butterflygirl13

Thank you all for your suggestions. Fran -- I'm going to try your recipe. Maybe I will write and ask if they can give me the name. The worse that can happen is they don't answer me.

Thanks again.

Pam

I've known several restaurants that when asked, will send the chef out with the recipe for you and give you tips on making it.

Laugh- it keeps you sane!
Go to Top of Page

SpinaYarn
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
492 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2005 :  10:38:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit SpinaYarn's Homepage Send SpinaYarn a Private Message
If you find out the name of the yummy desert, I can probably help you find a recipe...MIL is a great baker :)(and lives in Frankfurt)
you might also call a German bakery, if there is one near you..- I bet they can help you out. We have one close by in Tacoma.. and they are so kind.

knit with joy-
Teyani

www.http://intrepidfiberwizard.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.5 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by