Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Photos and wisdom from the Knitter's Review Retreat
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Things we do Besides Knitting
 Recipe Swap
 Thanksgiving Leftovers?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

thdx3
Seriously Hooked

694 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2005 :  07:23:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit thdx3's Homepage Send thdx3 a Private Message
OK, guys. The meat is off the carcass and everything is wrapped relatively securely in the fridge. Here's what we have to work with: turkey (duh), gravy, cranberry sauce, macaroni and cheese, sweet potato casserole, collard greens.

Please inspire me with your ideas for Thanksgiving leftovers while I head off to watch the Law and Order marathon.

Thanks in advance,

Terri D. in NYC
off jumps jack

lemons
Permanent Resident

1692 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2005 :  07:31:18 AM  Show Profile Send lemons a Private Message
When all is gone except the turkey, Google for a recipe called "King Ranch Casserole". Admittedly, it's a canned soup-type recipe, but it has corn tortillas , lots of spice if you crank the heat up a little, and becomes quite addictive even to non-casserole eaters after just one exposure to the dish.

Mostly our leftovers just get reheated or eaten cold, with occasional sandwiches appearing if the day's schedule calls for a lot of zooming around.

Wave in the direction of E. 20th Street for me...

lemons of missouri

Go to Top of Page

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2005 :  07:40:29 AM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message
Mix everything together except the sweet potato & collard greens, throw in some liquid if needed, add hot paprika or HP sauce to taste, sprinkle with cheese, toss in oven.

"An injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Martin Luther King Jr.
www.femiknits.blog-city.com
Go to Top of Page

truly violet
Permanent Resident

6398 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2005 :  08:24:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit truly violet's Homepage Send truly violet a Private Message
FIRST off....
you need to have turkey bagels for a bit
oh the joys of turkey on a bagel.......
happy happy joy joy joy

then of course there are
hot open faced smothered in gravy turkey sandwitches

turkey club melts

turkey tetrazzini

turkey stroganoff.....

turkey burritos
and finally

TURKEY STEW!!!!

with a pie crust top
hahahaha
I LOVE turkey

vi

none of this will matter in 100 years.......
except I will finally be at my goal weight...vi
http://notashyviolet.blogspot.com/ ~now with chickens!
Go to Top of Page

Susan T-O
Permanent Resident

USA
2481 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2005 :  09:00:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit Susan T-O's Homepage Send Susan T-O a Private Message
To me, the only proper use for leftovers is to take all non-dessert/non-salad food items (turkey, stuffing, yams, cranberry sauce, corn, everything), pile them on a couple of slices of bread, douse it with gravy until it's about to drip off the plate, heat in the microwave, and eat it. Repeat as necessary :-)

--Susan T-O in Long Beach CA, who went to a potluck for Thanksgiving and would pay good money for a plateful of leftovers!!

"The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the
most discoveries, is not 'Eureka!' but 'That's funny.'" --Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

Kelly B
Permanent Resident

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2005 :  09:37:48 AM  Show Profile Send Kelly B a Private Message
I like this better than the plateful the day before.

Post Thanksgiving Casserole
1 can cream of celery or mushroom soup
1 c sour cream
1/8 tsp pepper
seasonings to your taste: thyme, basil, marjoram...
1 to 2 c leftover vegetables: carrots, peas, broccoli, corn, onion... , or use some thawed frozen ones, or sauteed or microwaved fresh ones; chopped
2 c leftover diced turkey
8 oz package worth of prepared stuffing

Spread half the stuffing to cover the bottom of a sprayed casserole. Combine everything else and spread in casserole. Top with remaining stuffing. Bake at 375 for 45 min, uncovered.
You can preheat the mixed filling (but not the stuffing) in the microwave to shorten the cooking time.

Go to Top of Page

pixiestikz
Chatty Knitter

156 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2005 :  11:04:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit pixiestikz's Homepage  Send pixiestikz a Yahoo! Message Send pixiestikz a Private Message
Turkey Cranberry Wreath!

When I shop for thanksgiving..I always pick up the ingredients for this as well...Everyone in my family ADORES this, and can't wait for me to make it!

It is a bit of prep work, but man oh man is it GOOOOOOOD!

I'm making it Tomorrow night!
Let me know if you like or try it!

Here is the recipe...
(it was a Pampered Chef recipe originally)

http://www.crumbledcookies.com/feedme/misc/LO_TurkeyCranberryWreath.html

Heather
http://www.pixiestikz.com

"The most courageous act is still to think for yourself. Aloud."
Coco Chanel
Go to Top of Page

thdx3
Seriously Hooked

694 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2005 :  2:59:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit thdx3's Homepage Send thdx3 a Private Message
Yum, y'all--thanks; I'm inspired to roast another bird. Well, not really...but with your cooking ideas, a seemingly bottomless well of Law and Order reruns, and vacation knitting time, this has been a fine day after Thanksgiving indeed.

Knit on and all hail cable TV,

Terri D. in NYC
off jumps jack
Go to Top of Page

griffsmom
Gabber Extraordinaire

457 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2005 :  9:32:48 PM  Show Profile Send griffsmom a Private Message
Our tradition is that on Friday after Thanksgiving, I make turkey, smoked sausage and shrimp gumbo. We have it over basmati rice. It's delicious and makes the whole house smell marveleous!

*~*Lori*~*

My finished projects: http://community.webshots.com/album/308469463umpbHG

"Measure wealth, not by the things you have, but by the things you have for which you would not take money." ~ Unknown
Go to Top of Page

styledbykristin
Gabber Extraordinaire

391 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2005 :  6:50:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit styledbykristin's Homepage Send styledbykristin a Private Message
I made a quiche with leftover turkey, leftover sweet potatoes, leftover creamed spinach, some cheese, 6 eggs and 1 slice of bacon (crumbled) in a frozen pie crust. Baked it for an hour, then broiled the top for 2 minutes. It was delicious.

Kristin

www.styledbykristin.com
kristin@styledbykristin.com

Happiness is not having what you want. It is wanting what you have.
Go to Top of Page

Aseneth
Chatty Knitter

158 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2005 :  6:17:03 PM  Show Profile Send Aseneth a Private Message
Well, I took Pixiestiks suggestion and tried the Turkey Cranberry Wreath instead of my old standby King Ranch Casserole. My family loved it! This one is a keeper!!!!!! Thanks for the suggestion, now I have two no fail recipes for the leftovers! (On the plus side for the Turkey Cranberry Wreath, I had all the ingredients except for the dried cranberries on hand, and they weren't hard to find!)

[img]http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/knit.gif[/img]
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.55 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?