Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Great last-minute gifts for knitters
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Yarn Talk
 Favorite Yarns
 Classic Elite Inca Alpaca
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sweetnsour
Chatty Knitter

USA
156 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2005 :  12:42:48 AM  Show Profile Send sweetnsour a Private Message
To take a break from the mulitple projects that have been dragging on and on, and to experience that feeling of accomplishment again, I decided to make a short but useful little something for myself. I picked the neck warmer pattern from Interweave's Knitscene mag, the scarf with the little tails that go through slots on the scarf to keep it around your neck. I figure if I get it done Thanksgiving evening I can wear it when I have to drag myself to work Friday!

Inca Alpaca is the suggested yarn, and I was wary of it because the couple of times I've run into alpaca at the store, it's been very warm, but also very scratchy. I found it at the store while looking for just the right color, and I was amazed and how soft it was when I first picked it up. So out I came with two hanks of color 1124, a dark, heathered blue. It was even fun to wind it into a ball, and the first few inches are knitting up into a nice, squishy fabric used double.

I see why so many people like alpaca now. Any other comments on this yarn, praise or warnings? I'd like to know.

desi_knitter
Gabber Extraordinaire

507 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2005 :  08:08:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit desi_knitter's Homepage Send desi_knitter a Private Message
I made a hat and scarf with this yarn, and it was very soft, but split a lot, and knitting while watching TV, etc. was sometimes difficult. But my main complaint with it was that it shed, shed, shed, way more than any other alpaca.

Visit my new blog:
http://desiknitter.typepad.com
Go to Top of Page

LoveMyPuppy
New Pal

47 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2005 :  8:35:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit LoveMyPuppy's Homepage Send LoveMyPuppy a Private Message
I just finished the Heartstrings lace cable mobius in this yarn for my sister. I really enjoyed knitting it up, and it blocked out beautifully. It's not the softest alpaca you can find, but I didn't find it too scratchy or too sheddy. And the colors are really wonderful. I used a gorgeous deep heathered green (to complement my sister's burgundy wool coat). It'll be hard to part with this one!
Go to Top of Page

Lissa
Permanent Resident

USA
4942 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2005 :  9:36:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit Lissa's Homepage Send Lissa a Private Message
I made a scarf for a guy I was dating out of it. I came out really luscious. Unfortunately, the Curse of the Love Sweaters works for scarves, too.

Lissa

During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a
revolutionary act. -- George Orwell

Oh, and I now have a blog:http://knittnlissa.typepad.com/knittnlissa/
Go to Top of Page

anderknit
Permanent Resident

USA
2608 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2005 :  5:15:05 PM  Show Profile Send anderknit a Private Message
I've used Inca Alpaca for a keyhole scarf kind of like this:

http://tinyurl.com/d4bjm

and it was fine. I had no problems with shedding or splitting, and I am finding the scarf very soft around my neck. Go figure....

"Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, 'I will try again tomorrow.' "
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.31 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe