Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Photos and wisdom from the Knitter's Review Retreat
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Poll Feedback
 Suggest a poll
 What's the next knitting trend?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

azknitter
Honorary Angel

5539 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2005 :  2:30:34 PM  Show Profile Send azknitter a Private Message
Thanks Karknit!

Trish
Go to Top of Page

KathyR
Permanent Resident

New Zealand
2969 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2005 :  3:32:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit KathyR's Homepage Send KathyR a Private Message
Legwarmers? There was a thread here today with a link to a knitwear fashion show in which legwarmers were constantly showcased. Those and armwarmers(?) either singly or in pairs.

KathyR

Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
Go to Top of Page

truly violet
Permanent Resident

6398 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2005 :  3:52:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit truly violet's Homepage Send truly violet a Private Message
since knitting me a sweater nowadays would involve vast quantities of yarn that many many sheepies would have to contribute to....
and as I am old and I don't have the kind of time left to knit a sweater large enough for Mount rushmore

socks, mittens, hats, felted slippers, and lace scarves are always in fashion for me
colorknitting is wonderful
and if they ain't in fashion for the rest of the world..
well actually I don't much care.... I rarely go out in the real world

now I will admit to being sorely tempted to knit a sweater from tudor roses
but there weren't any where in the instructions that I saw it say....cast on 45 thousand stitches.......

so I figure they probably won't fit me

vi~ well at least I got chickens

none of this will matter in 100 years.......
except I will finally be at my goal weight...vi
http://notashyviolet.blogspot.com/ ~now with chickens!
Go to Top of Page

Karknit
Seriously Hooked

USA
711 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2005 :  6:30:41 PM  Show Profile Send Karknit a Private Message
I never look at a pattern or book thats marked trendy. I read reviews here and when the book is said to be old warn out patterns that my grandmother would wear, those are the books I try to find. If I see another thing knit with fuzzy fur I'm gonna scream.
It's OK to have a trend going for some people, but what about the rest of us?

There should be an AARP knitting magazine.

karknit

My diet incentive, to knit smaller sweaters.
Go to Top of Page

Gelliott
Seriously Hooked

USA
911 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2005 :  11:44:30 PM  Show Profile Send Gelliott a Private Message
I see a lot of colorwork on the horizon. Clothing catalogs are full of fair-isle type sweaters; the cover of the latest KP catalog has a very cute multi-colored hat; and the publication of Sally Melville's third book can only help.

Gelliott
Go to Top of Page

MoBarger
Chatty Knitter

311 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2005 :  04:47:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit MoBarger's Homepage Send MoBarger a Private Message
I think we are about to see a lot more "mixed media." For example, knitted objects with ribbons woven in, knits and beads, spangles, sparkles. Mixing different sorts of fibers and materials.

Mo Barger, close to Ithaca, NY
My Journal
Fiber Site for upstate NY'ers
Go to Top of Page

Yarnni
Permanent Resident

Canada
1021 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2005 :  05:21:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit Yarnni's Homepage Send Yarnni a Private Message
I'm so lucky because I always get to see previews at my suppliers. Here's some of what I noticed.

New, more luxurious ribbon yarns are in either on their own or mixed with another luxury yarn. Alpaca, silk, cashmere are very hot right now. Varigated yarns are showing more muted colors or brights without being garish. Socks are still hot, and we're seeing some precious fibers being introduced, such as silk/wool blends.

Argyle is making a huge comeback. Cables are in, but less 'fisherman' style and more Gaelic/Viking influences. I also saw more traditional patterns using gorgeous yarns.

Louisa Harding yarns are new and hot and we're having trouble keeping stock on the shelves.

Yarnni
www.knitwerx.com
Go to Top of Page

carolbeech
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
444 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2005 :  10:53:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit carolbeech's Homepage Send carolbeech a Private Message
So glad I saw this thread, I was thinking this very thing yesterday...love scarves and all that, but what is going to be the next thing? One good thing about trends is they do get a lot of material out there, and that way there is more to choose from.
Personally, I'd like to see more hat patterns. Here in Washington, hats are necessary, but I don't want to look like a kid or a maniac. Connie
Go to Top of Page

AngieSue
Permanent Resident

USA
1606 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2005 :  04:17:22 AM  Show Profile Send AngieSue a Private Message
I've only been knitting for a few months so I'm not aware of the past trends in knitting but I can say, that working at a university and seeing young adults everyday, that ponchos are "out" and shrugs are "in". That's doesn't mean that I'm going to make one. I would rather invest my time and money into something that will be around longer than one year. Just my perspective

I've never been one to follow trends so I'm more likely to make a sweater with classic design that I can wear more than year and still look good, or solid color socks that I can wear everday.

My desires in my knitting are to make items for my home like pillows and rugs. For some items, it might be cheaper to just buy from the store rather than make but there's a draw in knowing that I did it, and not Pier 1.

Ponchos may be waning but the Garter-Stitch Wrap in "Scarf Style" is calling my name
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.61 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?