Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Poll Feedback
 Suggest a poll
 What's the next knitting trend?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Atavistic
Permanent Resident

6604 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2005 :  4:02:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit Atavistic's Homepage Send Atavistic a Private Message
OK so ponchos and shawls have morphed into freakish design experiments. Clapotis was big. Lace seemed to be all the rage for a while. Felting was huge but is maybe dying out? Based on what I'm seeing in magazines it looks like fringe is going to be pushed as the next fashionable thing.

What do you think?

Amanda

"Is that my Not-Mine Sweater? Whoever gets that Not-Mine Sweater is very lucky."

Lobolita
Chatty Knitter

126 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2005 :  4:19:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit Lobolita's Homepage Send Lobolita a Private Message
Plaid. Or fair isle. Or fairisle plaid.
Go to Top of Page

Busyhands
Permanent Resident

USA
1496 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2005 :  4:45:11 PM  Show Profile Send Busyhands a Private Message
I despise fringe. Fringe is known in my house as "cat toys". I'm still doing lace...but then am never that fashionable anyways. Hm - seems like colorwork might be due for another round?

Lin, High Priestess of Liberal Color Usage
"Wearing cheerful, multicolored hats is a public service, easy to perform, and of incalculable value." - Anna Zilboorg
[IMG]http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y69/Busyhands/elisaintunnel.jpg[/IMG]
Go to Top of Page

Atavistic
Permanent Resident

6604 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2005 :  4:49:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit Atavistic's Homepage Send Atavistic a Private Message
Ahhhhhh but what kind of colorwork? Stripes? Fair Isle? Or Intarsia? That slip-stitch mosaic method, perhaps? Or more space dyed stuff? (It seems to me that space dyed sort of faded in popularity as that self-striping sock yarn came about--perhaps I would actually try socks if the LYS had SOLID sock yarn!)

Amanda

"Is that my Not-Mine Sweater? Whoever gets that Not-Mine Sweater is very lucky."
Go to Top of Page

kbshee
Permanent Resident

USA
4166 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2005 :  6:05:21 PM  Show Profile Send kbshee a Private Message
Maybe mitered squares? I've seen more patterns popping up lately.

kim in oregon
http://kbshee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2005 :  6:20:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message
I second the plaid thing - I'm seeing more and more patterns with it.

And spinning is getting bigger, too...

"Choose your friends by their character and your socks by their color. Choosing your socks by their character makes no sense, and choosing your friends by their color is unthinkable."
http://RoseByAny.BlogSpot.Com
Go to Top of Page

probablyjane
Permanent Resident

United Kingdom
1227 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2005 :  6:43:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit probablyjane's Homepage Send probablyjane a Private Message
With snowy winds heading down from the Arctic imminently the fashion in my house at the moment is toasty fairisle mittens.

I would second the vote for solid sock yarn - the self patterning stuff was fun, and certainly helped me hone my basic skills without boredom last year but my last few projects have been increasingly challenging patterned socks in solid yarns. Cherry Tree Hill solid and good old Sunbeam St Ives are my current favourites. I also have some Regia solid silk which I've yet to try but feels lovely.

I read somewhere that in times of economic and social uncertainty fashion becomes more nostalgic. One that basis I would predict trends starting to move towards more vintage inspired design.

Jane

'What's so funny 'bout peace, love and understanding?' Elvis Costello
http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/janelithgow/album
Go to Top of Page

Diva Ree
Gabber Extraordinaire

537 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2005 :  7:56:26 PM  Show Profile Send Diva Ree a Private Message
I don't really want to see it, but leg warmers seem to be getting more and more popular. And I hate to admit it, but the free ones that Berroco put on their site recently were way cute.
Go to Top of Page

SpinaYarn
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
492 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2005 :  8:12:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit SpinaYarn's Homepage Send SpinaYarn a Private Message
Since "trends" seem to cycle back around, and we just spent ages revisiting the 60's.. my guess is that either stripes or patterns (like the swedish snowflakes) will circle back around...
god save us from horizontally striped sweaters.. unless you are "twiggy" everyone looks fat [:00]..

knit with joy-
Teyani

www.http://intrepidfiberwizard.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2005 :  8:29:24 PM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message
All I see aorund here is 70s "fashion" revisited. I want to revisit Brideshead, not the 70s.

Along with fringe, fake fur and fake suede knits, and knitted skirts.

"An injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Martin Luther King Jr.
www.femiknits.blog-city.com
Go to Top of Page

azknitter
Honorary Angel

5539 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2005 :  11:05:02 PM  Show Profile Send azknitter a Private Message
I wish cardigans and jackets WOULD BE the focus for a few seasons. I'm sick of seeing ponchos/capelets/wierd, strappy, gimmicky things like fingerless gloves/wristlets and all the rest of those useless things that get made and instantly forgotten.

I'm not a speed knitter and I don't have a ton of money to be wasted on odd/silly looking things. I want to spend my time and money on garments that will get lots of use and make best use of the skills I've acquired over the years.

I've got nothing against simple projects geared toward newer knitters, I just think they too deserve good patterns and projects that will last more than one faddish season.

Classic shapes do not have to be boring or dated, especially with all the wonderful new colors, textures and yarns available to us now.

Here's hoping there will be something exciting and worth our time, effort and money in the seasons to come!

Trish
Go to Top of Page

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2005 :  11:53:33 PM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message
Ponchos, at least where I live have always been around. They might not always be the height of fashion, but they are always around. I don't get calling fingerless gloves gimmicky - they are another item that has been around for ages and very practical.

"An injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Martin Luther King Jr.
Go to Top of Page

Boogie
Permanent Resident

USA
3073 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2005 :  03:48:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit Boogie's Homepage Send Boogie a Private Message
At the moment it seems to be boleros and shrugs all over the place.

I'm liking the idea of some nice colorwork. Fair isles and such would be nice for a change. I see some of it here and there already.

amy
http://theboogerblog.blogspot.com
http://www.spunkyhats.com
Go to Top of Page

pieheart
Permanent Resident

1872 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2005 :  05:42:45 AM  Show Profile Send pieheart a Private Message
Trish, I wear my fingerless gloves all the time (Hooray for Me Gloves)! But I am with you about ponchos and the like. I'm not ready for colorwork, I seem to be about a trend behind at all times (I'm okay with that, gives me a chance to see the longevity of a craze). I would also like to see more classic items, maybe tweaked a bit.

pieheart

Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.
Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Check out my album:
http://photobucket.com/albums/a80/PieHeart/
Go to Top of Page

KL
Permanent Resident

6041 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2005 :  07:30:34 AM  Show Profile Send KL a Private Message
I feel a tad qualified to respond to this thread as an ex-Fashion Director. My response is to what I percieve is the bigger picture. We are currently in the middle of long cycle of embellishments- and one that I feel will continue to get stronger. This is evidenced by the change in status handbags-Gucci, Prada, Coach Louis Vuitton etc. They are moving from the focus in design of simplicity to detailed embelishments, use of patchwork, and color splicing,beading,and exotic trims.
Denim is now embelished, shoes ditto, Household goods are beaded, satined, tasssled etc.
Shapes in Fashion are somewhat all over the canvas except for the "15 minute" fads-shrugs, capelettes, ponchos, etc.
As a knitter, I will forgo the shape trend and focus on how the color/embellishment could apply- I don't want to put all that time and effort into something that will last one season.
Yes, embellishment is a trend but, one with a longer future.
I'll be more interested in mitered squares,color blocking,variations in stitches, fair isle, etc. in the same garment/project,unusual trims etc. I'd rather take something with the potential longetivity, say, as the Einstein coat and give it a twist-color blocked sections for instance. Maybe a stich Variation etc. If you want to do a trendy shape and follow the embellishment trend -Nicky Epsteins Tapestry Garden capelette is a good example.Freeform Knitting also falls into this catagory.
I think you will see more and more experimentwtion with freeform applications in a basic garment.
again, I don't thinl it's tha actual shape- it's what is being done to that shape. JMO KL
Go to Top of Page

azknitter
Honorary Angel

5539 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2005 :  5:58:31 PM  Show Profile Send azknitter a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by mokey

Ponchos, at least where I live have always been around. They might not always be the height of fashion, but they are always around. I don't get calling fingerless gloves gimmicky - they are another item that has been around for ages and very practical.

They're gimmicky, tacky and ugly (to me anyway)! I love when someone says something is valid just because it's "been around for ages"! Pasties and G-strings have been around for ages and you wouldn't catch me dead in those things. Just because something's been around for ages doesn't make it "classic" or in good taste.

Trish
Go to Top of Page

Atavistic
Permanent Resident

6604 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2005 :  6:13:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit Atavistic's Homepage Send Atavistic a Private Message
That wasn't you I saw running down the street in a g-string and tassled pasties, Trish? Damn, I could've sworn it was your double.

Amanda

Go to Top of Page

azknitter
Honorary Angel

5539 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2005 :  6:21:02 PM  Show Profile Send azknitter a Private Message
Oh, Amanda ....that's something NO ONE wants to see.

Trish
Go to Top of Page

Bullmonty
Seriously Hooked

814 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2005 :  10:36:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bullmonty's Homepage Send Bullmonty a Private Message
WHOA! TRISH! WHAT A VISUAL!

mummy!

[img]http://www.bensonassoc.com/pct/p09/mom_baby.gif[/img]
Go to Top of Page

azknitter
Honorary Angel

5539 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2005 :  10:51:39 PM  Show Profile Send azknitter a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Bullmonty

WHOA! TRISH! WHAT A VISUAL!

mummy!

[img]http://www.bensonassoc.com/pct/p09/mom_baby.gif[/img]

...ahem, you make my point Bully! We need more beautiful, classicly shaped garments. Very, very few people look good in those faddish things.

Trish
Go to Top of Page

Karknit
Seriously Hooked

USA
711 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2005 :  08:28:33 AM  Show Profile Send Karknit a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by azknitter

I wish cardigans and jackets WOULD BE the focus for a few seasons. I'm sick of seeing ponchos/capelets/wierd, strappy, gimmicky things like fingerless gloves/wristlets and all the rest of those useless things that get made and instantly forgotten.

I'm not a speed knitter and I don't have a ton of money to be wasted on odd/silly looking things. I want to spend my time and money on garments that will get lots of use and make best use of the skills I've acquired over the years.

I've got nothing against simple projects geared toward newer knitters, I just think they too deserve good patterns and projects that will last more than one faddish season.

Classic shapes do not have to be boring or dated, especially with all the wonderful new colors, textures and yarns available to us now.

Here's hoping there will be something exciting and worth our time, effort and money in the seasons to come!

Trish

Trish, if you run for knitting president I will vote for you
You have put into words what I have been thinking for some time now.
I just keep looking at all my old classic patterns and waiting for the rest of the world to catch up.
Thank you for your post.

karknit

My diet incentive, to knit smaller sweaters.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.67 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?