Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Great last-minute gifts for knitters
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Yarn Talk
 Stash management
 Losing needles, yarn, and my mind.
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Atavistic
Permanent Resident

6604 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2005 :  08:59:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit Atavistic's Homepage Send Atavistic a Private Message
I am 10 rows away from finishing the body on this tiny 8spi, worked on number 2s (3 mm) needles sweater. So I decided to go get my Addi Turbo DPNs #2 to work the sleeves.

I pull out my ZipLoc baggies full of needles. They're not there. Hmmmm.

So I pull out all three of my knitting bags. No needles.

So I get out the four BINS of yarn I have and rummage through them. No needles.

AND I realize that the rest of my YARN for this project is no longer in the bins. WHAT?

I dig through any drawers in the house that have ever held yarn or needles temporarily. Nope.

OK. So I've lost my needles and I've lost my yarn. These are not good things to lose.

I also realized, digging through my stash, that it could be a lot more organized, so maybe I'll just do that after I finish the body...

GRRRRRRRRR!

Amanda

"Is that my Not-Mine Sweater? Whoever gets that Not-Mine Sweater is very lucky."

KellyKnits
Permanent Resident

USA
1608 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2005 :  09:13:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit KellyKnits's Homepage Send KellyKnits a Private Message
The needles and yarn apparently ran off together.
Hopefully you can track them down!

Kelly
Go to Top of Page

Atavistic
Permanent Resident

6604 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2005 :  09:21:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit Atavistic's Homepage Send Atavistic a Private Message
Like the dish running away with the spoon? Well dammit, they need to come home--it's cold outside! Too cold for such a thin cotton, and why in the world would it run off with metal needles??

Amanda

"Is that my Not-Mine Sweater? Whoever gets that Not-Mine Sweater is very lucky."
Go to Top of Page

Knitrageous
Permanent Resident

USA
1445 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2005 :  09:31:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit Knitrageous's Homepage Send Knitrageous a Private Message
Maybe you put it all together so it would be ready when you wanted to work on it!

I have multi knitting bags with partly finished projects. I had a big surprise the other day when I opened an old suitcase to find I'd stashed a whole lot of yarn I'd forgotten I had in there! It was a good (sort of) surprise.

Good luck!
~~~~Jamye
Go to Top of Page

Crey
Seriously Hooked

827 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2005 :  09:41:05 AM  Show Profile Send Crey a Private Message
Sounds familiar - my knitting, my glasses, my coffee, the worst part is I always remember that I put it somewhere that I wouldn't forget it. and really Amanda - given the choice of running away with those earthy wooden needles or the hip metal ones, which would you choose? Sometimes comfort just isn't what its about! - Crey

"Water that is too pure has no fish." -Ts'ai Ken T'an
Go to Top of Page

KellyKnits
Permanent Resident

USA
1608 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2005 :  09:48:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit KellyKnits's Homepage Send KellyKnits a Private Message
Did you check your car and your desk at work?

Kelly
Go to Top of Page

COgirl
Permanent Resident

USA
2176 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2005 :  09:58:43 AM  Show Profile Send COgirl a Private Message
I always find that things turn up when I STOP looking for them. I thinks it's a menopausal thing.

Funny story about me and my memory. We have been going to Atlanta in October the last 3 years for a Georgia Tech function. This year, I wanted to buy a cheap pair of GT earrings to wear to functions here in Colorado. First function after our visit, I couldn't find where I'd put them. I felt so stupid and had to put on another pair. About a week later when I was cleaning the house, I found not only the pair that I purchased in October, but the pair that I bought the year before and had forgotten about. Anyone in the market for a pair of cheap Georgia Tech earrings. DOH!

Perhaps your needle and yarn will show up. Replace your steps when you're not in a panic for them.
Go to Top of Page

Atavistic
Permanent Resident

6604 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2005 :  10:09:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit Atavistic's Homepage Send Atavistic a Private Message
I never carry extra yarn in the car, nor needles. My desk at work doesn't have yarn in it either... Nothing is around my desk around me.

Jamye, when I opened the bins I found a WIP I'd forgotten about. Ooops.

COGirl, next year when you're at Tech, if we're still here, drop me a line. I live a mile from Tech and Mr. A is working on his PhD there. We can go get yarn or something together.

Losing needles is one thing, but a big old bag of yarn???

Amanda

Go to Top of Page

Lissa
Permanent Resident

USA
4942 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2005 :  10:16:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit Lissa's Homepage Send Lissa a Private Message
They ran off with my keys. When you find them, could you please send the keys home?

Lissa

During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a
revolutionary act. -- George Orwell

Oh, and I now have a blog:http://knittnlissa.typepad.com/knittnlissa/
Go to Top of Page

Valk_scot
Permanent Resident

United Kingdom
1281 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2005 :  11:11:00 AM  Show Profile Send Valk_scot a Private Message
You`re not pregnant, are you? That sort of losing things in a completely random way sounds sooooo like me in the early stages of all my pregnancies!

Val.

[img]http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/26/26_9_21.gif[/img]
Go to Top of Page

Atavistic
Permanent Resident

6604 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2005 :  11:15:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit Atavistic's Homepage Send Atavistic a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Valk_scot

You`re not pregnant, are you? That sort of losing things in a completely random way sounds sooooo like me in the early stages of all my pregnancies!

Oh my god, NO I AM NOT PREGNANT! Perish the thought! Take that back, Val! I am going to throw my needles at you when I finally find them!

And before anyone says something snarky like, "Well you could've just gotten pregnant you know..." I just saw my OBGYN yesterday and she informed me that my uterus is tiny--as in a not pregnant uterus.

And if by some fluke you have talked up a pregnancy, I'm sending it across the pond to you, Val, because I sure as heck don't want it.

Amanda

Go to Top of Page

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2005 :  11:17:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message
Are you kidding? Send it to the papers - Val can get another woman from across the pond!!

(now don't talk to me, either, Val...)

"Choose your friends by their character and your socks by their color. Choosing your socks by their character makes no sense, and choosing your friends by their color is unthinkable."
http://RoseByAny.BlogSpot.Com
Go to Top of Page

azknitter
Honorary Angel

5539 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2005 :  11:25:58 AM  Show Profile Send azknitter a Private Message
hmmmmm....you didn't accidentally "donate" them to your kids knitting club, did you?

...or maybe Mr. Aerospace purloined said needles to make something special with them....it's a thought.

Trish
Go to Top of Page

Valk_scot
Permanent Resident

United Kingdom
1281 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2005 :  11:37:08 AM  Show Profile Send Valk_scot a Private Message
ROTFLMAO....nope, you can`t send it to me, I`m past it. I wouldn`t mind another one but I`m 47 and menopausal. So I`M safe......[:00]

(It`s a while since you started that sweater, isn`t it? Sure you haven`t knitted something else out of the yarn? I did that once ...and I wasn`t even pregnant at the time!)

Val.

Go to Top of Page

Atavistic
Permanent Resident

6604 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2005 :  11:46:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit Atavistic's Homepage Send Atavistic a Private Message
Then I'll send you the kid--have fun raising it, you talked it into existence.

I started the sweater October 1st I think. So no, it hasn't been long. And no, I've never knit something else with yarn while midproject with that yarn, but that's a funny thought.

Amanda

Go to Top of Page

autumns daughter
Chatty Knitter

267 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2005 :  1:14:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit autumns daughter's Homepage Send autumns daughter a Private Message
Try looking for other stuff- anything, just to distract yourself from looking for the runaway yarn and needles. They will realize that it is not fun to hide when not being looked for, and get lonely, and you will find them again. Works every time.
"The dreaded animosity of inanimate objects"

autumn's daughter
bloggy blog:
http://autumnsdaughter.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Valk_scot
Permanent Resident

United Kingdom
1281 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2005 :  1:22:01 PM  Show Profile Send Valk_scot a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Atavistic

Then I'll send you the kid--have fun raising it, you talked it into existence.

Your genes....

My childrearing....

....hmmmmm.....either we`re onto a winner or the world just ain`t ready. I`ll give it a try though. As long as you can guarantee it won`t be a quiet, docile, biddable and well behaved baby. I`ve got no experience with that sort.

Your needles, incidentally, will merely be misfiled into the wrong bag. And your missing yarn will be in a bag tucked out of view inside a bag of a totally different yarn. Either that or you put everything together in readiness of the moment you needed them and Mr A. then threw them out into the rubbish.

Maybe.

Val.

Go to Top of Page

KellyKnits
Permanent Resident

USA
1608 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2005 :  1:48:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit KellyKnits's Homepage Send KellyKnits a Private Message
do you have a pet?

Kelly
Go to Top of Page

Atavistic
Permanent Resident

6604 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2005 :  2:06:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit Atavistic's Homepage Send Atavistic a Private Message
I have three pets. Two dogs and a cat....

I finished the body of that sweater, so I'm going to reorganize my stash. Maybe then they'll magically appear.

And Val, with all due respect to your parenting, I doubt the world is ready for any bit of my genes to be re-released unto the population... "Oh, the humanity!"

Amanda

Go to Top of Page

KellyKnits
Permanent Resident

USA
1608 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2005 :  2:13:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit KellyKnits's Homepage Send KellyKnits a Private Message
are any of your pet's known yarn theives?

Kelly
Go to Top of Page

Atavistic
Permanent Resident

6604 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2005 :  2:16:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit Atavistic's Homepage Send Atavistic a Private Message
No. Sometimes I come home and they've chewed on something (although they have chewed through balls of yarn, they have yet to chew through articles of knitting) but they don't take yarn and they don't hide things either...

Amanda

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.59 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?