Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Great last-minute gifts for knitters
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Spinner Central
 Fiber Sources and Discussion
 What fiber to start with
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

RobA
Permanent Resident

2373 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2005 :  11:38:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit RobA's Homepage Send RobA a Private Message
Hi,

I am a brand-new, well, can't really call myself a spinner yet, but I am trying to learn to spin. I had a lesson yesterday at a friend's house, and she has lent me a wheel (that I will probably buy from her). I am learning about fibers, and understand that some fibers are easier to spin than others. For example, I think I understood that longer fibers are easier than shorter ones like merino (and I don't general choose to knit with merino anyway). So what have you started with?

Rob http://roberta.typepad.com/robknits/

SpottedTApps
New Pal

USA
41 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2005 :  11:55:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit SpottedTApps's Homepage Send SpottedTApps a Private Message
I think a nice combed wool top. They slide easier in your fingers and won't frustrate you like some rovings will.

Shetland is a dream to spin if you can get your hands on some.

Good luck!

See my new spinning blog! www.freewebs.com/spottedtapps
Go to Top of Page

jaymeKnits
Permanent Resident

USA
1353 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2005 :  12:11:25 PM  Show Profile  Send jaymeKnits a Yahoo! Message Send jaymeKnits a Private Message
I've heard and experienced the opposite. Combed top is too slippery and gets awa y from you. I would say stick with a medium staple, undyed wool roving. Jacob is good easy one to start with.

Jayme
Go to Top of Page

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2005 :  12:21:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message
Try EVERYTHING. Jayme spins beautifully and prefered roving. I spin beautifully and prefer top. Try every single fiber you can get your hands on. If you like it, order more, if you don't like it, try it again when you're more comfortable with what you're doing!

"Choose your friends by their character and your socks by their color. Choosing your socks by their character makes no sense, and choosing your friends by their color is unthinkable."
http://RoseByAny.BlogSpot.Com
Go to Top of Page

Lissa
Permanent Resident

USA
4942 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2005 :  12:22:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit Lissa's Homepage Send Lissa a Private Message
The advice I hear most often is the same as Jayme's. Other good breeds for beginners are Romney, BFL, Wensleydale, Coopworth. Tops are usually harder BECAUSE they're more slippery, and short fibers, such as merino, tend to slip too quickly through new spinners' fingers and the top breaks off in their hands. Then again, there are some people who learned on merino top and loved it, so no everyone has the same experience.

Lissa

During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a
revolutionary act. -- George Orwell

Oh, and I now have a blog:http://knittnlissa.typepad.com/knittnlissa/
Go to Top of Page

jaymeKnits
Permanent Resident

USA
1353 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2005 :  12:29:11 PM  Show Profile  Send jaymeKnits a Yahoo! Message Send jaymeKnits a Private Message
Actually I prefer top now but I when I started everyone said roving was easier so that's what I started with. I do agree that trying multiple fibers is a great way to discover what you like.

Jayme
Go to Top of Page

KnitRedSox
Chatty Knitter

170 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2005 :  5:50:54 PM  Show Profile Send KnitRedSox a Private Message
I had great beginner experience with BFL (Blue Faced Leicester) - though Jacob should work just as well. Have fun!
Go to Top of Page

RobA
Permanent Resident

2373 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2005 :  08:34:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit RobA's Homepage Send RobA a Private Message
Thanks! Will be ordering some on the 30th (payday!).

Rob http://roberta.typepad.com/robknits/
Go to Top of Page

spinningbunny
Warming Up

USA
57 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2005 :  10:31:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit spinningbunny's Homepage Send spinningbunny a Private Message
I agree that this is completely individual. I have taught people who took to roving easily and others who fought with it until they tried top and were then instantly successful. It really depends on you and what you like or interests you. If you want to try top early in your spinning career perhaps corriedale before merino would be easier.

I remember that the third fiber I tried was angora. Plucked angora at that! It was my carrot all along so I learned quickly as I love the stuff. Not that the first singles were all that even just that I did learn to twist properly and add fiber often as I had motivation for it.

Buy a few ounces of this and a few ounces of that and play play play.

Have a hoppin'in day,
Susan, the bunny's spinner
http://www.spinningbunny.com
Go to Top of Page

mygomi
Warming Up

USA
93 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2005 :  12:59:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit mygomi's Homepage Send mygomi a Private Message
I learned to spin about a month and a half ago. My first fiber was coopworth, which was pretty easy to learn on, had good "stick". But I quickly tried all sorts of different fibers and learned a bit from each. I really like blue face leicester for its softness and general ease of drafting. I loved trying silk/merino, quiviut/alpaca/merino, and soy silk/alpaca/merino. I tried camel down early on and it was tough tough tough but fun and rewarding. Like climbing a mini Everest. ;) As Susan says, play play play and you'll find what you enjoy.

Monica

My new blog: http://twoleftneedles.com
Go to Top of Page

Andy
Seriously Hooked

USA
774 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2005 :  11:19:53 AM  Show Profile Send Andy a Private Message
My "first" was Wensleydale top, nice and long, soft and kinky, but great to wear next to the skin. However, I liked a carded Lincoln-Romney cross even better. It was more coarse, but I did worsted style spinning and it came out smooth and shiny, for socks and weaving a skirt.

Give Coleridge credit for saying that people most often err in what they condemn and are nearest the truth in what they allow.
http://www.livejournal.com/users/shuvani11/
Andy-wommon
Go to Top of Page

GaiaDea
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
516 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2005 :  03:13:52 AM  Show Profile Send GaiaDea a Private Message
I honestly think the best answer to what fiber is best to learn on is whichever fiber you like to touch the most. You will be handling this fiber a great deal while you are learning to get it to do what you want. If you are using a fiber you don't care for, it makes the experience less fun, so use what you like!

Just my 2 cents!

GaiaDea
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.52 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.