Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Yarn Talk
 Stash management
 Let me count the ways...
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

minh
Permanent Resident and Destasher Extraordinnaire

USA
3458 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2005 :  2:39:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit minh's Homepage Send minh a Private Message
We all know there's never too much yarn. But if we were to measure our stash, how many ways to measure could we come up with?

We have:
- number of skeins
- weight, i.e. your stash should weigh more than half your weight or something like that
- time, i.e. SABLE= stash acquisition beyond life expectancy
- length, i.e. if you unroll your stash end to end, you could go to the moon and back (OK, maybe not that much)
- volume, i.e. how many boxes or rooms it's taking in your house

Any other ideas? preferably some measure that makes us feel GOOD about our stash :)

--Minh

truly violet
Permanent Resident

6398 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2005 :  4:39:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit truly violet's Homepage Send truly violet a Private Message
how many PROJECTS we have waiting for us to knit
then you see it as an asset and as productivity in the future.....
not as a massive load of stuff that needs to be moved around and dusted....( or something like that)

vi

none of this will matter in 100 years.......
except I will finally be at my goal weight...vi
http://notashyviolet.blogspot.com/ ~now with chickens!
Go to Top of Page

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2005 :  4:45:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message
Fibers - Alpaca, Merino, Angora, Mohair, Acryllic....

My favorite category is this one: Winter Yarns, Summer Yarns, Sock Yarns, Unspun Fiber, Raw Fleece....

See? I only have five things! I need to shop more!!!

"Choose your friends by their character and your socks by their color. Choosing your socks by their character makes no sense, and choosing your friends by their color is unthinkable."
http://RoseByAny.BlogSpot.Com
Go to Top of Page

Pinky Yarn
Permanent Resident

USA
1045 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2005 :  9:10:54 PM  Show Profile Send Pinky Yarn a Private Message
How bout by color, how many of those paint sample card things can u come up with in yarn. you should be able to fill at least half (not neccessarily all different colors) hehe

-Katie

"I remember when getting high meant swinging at the playgrounds. The worst thing you could get from a boy was cooties. Race issues were who could run the fastest. The only thing you smoked was the tires on your bike. Life was so simple and carefree, but the thing I remember the most was wanting to grow up."
-Unknown

Go to Top of Page

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2005 :  11:50:15 PM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message
Interesting question. I'll go the cold hard cash route. After all, if I have that much disposable income life can't be that bad!

"An injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Martin Luther King Jr.
www.femiknits.blog-city.com
Go to Top of Page

minh
Permanent Resident and Destasher Extraordinnaire

USA
3458 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2005 :  10:39:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit minh's Homepage Send minh a Private Message
What about using the alphabet? Does anybody know a yarn whose name starts with X? I don't have one of those so my stash must be really small ;)

--Minh
Go to Top of Page

LittleMousling
Permanent Resident

USA
1093 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2005 :  2:48:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit LittleMousling's Homepage Send LittleMousling a Private Message
Thanks to the spreadsheet I use (some intrepid knitter formulated it) I can tell you instantaneously what my stash weighs, how long it is in yards, and how many skeins - and I can glance into the corner and tell you the volume! Useful, that.

But I like thinking about it by project.

-Molly, obsessive but not exclusive socknitter
Stash photos and some FOs
Go to Top of Page

GFTC
Permanent Resident

USA
6331 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2005 :  5:24:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit GFTC's Homepage Send GFTC a Private Message
By brand. Once you get deep enough into a few brands you can open a LYS. Or at least pretend that is your plan which will also enable you to buy even more or add another brand. Won't be very profitable tho.

GFTC of NYC
Go to Top of Page

eggshel344
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
391 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2005 :  08:44:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit eggshel344's Homepage  Send eggshel344 a Yahoo! Message Send eggshel344 a Private Message
by how many boyfriends ago you started it? I guess that would be pretty subjective but I can say mine goes back at least 3!

"Failure is only an opportunity to begin agian more intellegently."
When Henry Ford said that I doubt he had knitting in mind, but if the sweater fits...
Go to Top of Page

booglass
Permanent Resident

Costa Rica
1987 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2005 :  12:45:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit booglass's Homepage Send booglass a Private Message
I don't even want to think about this topic......it might stop my stash enhancing ways and I simply can't have that!

bonnie

Check out my blog:
http://www.booglass.typepad.com
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.45 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by