Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Yarn Talk
 Stash management
 Should I hide the stash or be proud of it?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

GFTC
Permanent Resident

USA
6331 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2005 :  07:50:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit GFTC's Homepage Send GFTC a Private Message
Last summer I cleared out my fairly large linen closet. Now I have it set up with the shelves on the right side filled with towels, tablecloths, sheets, the usual linen closet things.

The shelves on the left are different. Top shelf: 3 AbFab kits. Next shelf: 2 blanket bags of yarn and four "straight from the factory" 10-ball-bags. On the next shelf, a blanket bag and a huge rubbermaid covered tub filled with yarn. One more shelf: same size rubbermaid, 66 gallon, filled with sock yarn and another smaller rubbermaid filled with more yarn plus 2 more 10-ball-bags. This does not include a shelf in my own closet filled with yarn.

Here is the . Mom is coming up from FL for Thanksgiving. Do I put a lock on the closet and just give her a stack of towels for the weekend? Do I hand her some needles and tell her to go to the linen closet and pick out yarn for a project, pretending as though everyone has a yarn closet, rather than just us KR people. Or do I wait for the natural discovery and the inevitable "OMG! You must be kidding!!!"

GFTC of NYC

kbshee
Permanent Resident

USA
4166 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2005 :  08:07:57 AM  Show Profile Send kbshee a Private Message
Hmmm. It seems to me that if it is locked, she might think something much more nefarious is going on. I vote for #3. Then you can pretend that everyone has a yarn closet (an innocent look followed by "where do you keep YOUR yarn?").

kim in oregon
http://kbshee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

KellyKnits
Permanent Resident

USA
1608 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2005 :  08:11:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit KellyKnits's Homepage Send KellyKnits a Private Message
my reaction - you're going to let her use some of your yarn? so I'd be going for the give her a stack of towels option

Kelly
Go to Top of Page

COgirl
Permanent Resident

USA
2176 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2005 :  08:32:09 AM  Show Profile Send COgirl a Private Message
Show your stash proudly. I agree with Kelly. Not sure I'd let her use my stuff, unless it was sock yarn. Otherwise you might not have enough leftover to do what you had intended with the yarn.

Ok, now here's another stash question. When you're buying the yarn do you have a project in mind? How do you know how much to buy?
Go to Top of Page

truly violet
Permanent Resident

6398 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2005 :  08:33:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit truly violet's Homepage Send truly violet a Private Message
yea me and kelly..... give her the towels and tell her nothing....
NOTHING
except
keep your damn hands offa my stash.....

vi

none of this will matter in 100 years.......
except I will finally be at my goal weight...vi
http://notashyviolet.blogspot.com/ ~now with chickens!
Go to Top of Page

jaymeKnits
Permanent Resident

USA
1350 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2005 :  08:47:59 AM  Show Profile  Send jaymeKnits a Yahoo! Message Send jaymeKnits a Private Message
It sounds like a lot of it is in bins so she wouldn't even know that it was yarn. Why hide it? Everyone has hobbies and there are much worse things you could be stashing. I'd do what ever you normally would do and if she asks about it just treat it like it is completely normal, because it is.

Jayme
Go to Top of Page

Jane
SustaYning Member

USA
4390 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2005 :  09:29:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jane's Homepage Send Jane a Private Message
A yarn closet is the most normal thing in the world, isn't it? Let the needles fall where they may, I say! Show off your stash!

Jane

Blog: Not Plain Jane
Go to Top of Page

Lissa
Permanent Resident

USA
4942 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2005 :  10:28:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit Lissa's Homepage Send Lissa a Private Message
How old are you? If you're not asking her for money, your stash is none of her business. I'd just leave everthing as is - there's no reason to be either timid or proud of having bought a product...

Lissa

During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a
revolutionary act. -- George Orwell

Oh, and I now have a blog:http://knittnlissa.typepad.com/knittnlissa/
Go to Top of Page

azknitter
Honorary Angel

5539 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2005 :  11:06:51 AM  Show Profile Send azknitter a Private Message
That old Haaggen Dazs commercial comes to mind when I imagine your mom staring incredulously at your...ahem...ample stash. Remember the young wife seated cross-legged in front of a coffee table with empty containers of ice cream in front of her while her husband stands over her accusingly? Her answer was a simple and defiant...

"Yes, I did it.....AND I'D DO IT AGAIN!"

Just tell your mom it's yours and when it's empty (stifle your snickers)....you'll fill it again.

...of course you must say it defiantly...stand tall and speak with conviction or, be prepared to just slink away after one of those raised-eyebrow "mom" looks.

Trish
Go to Top of Page

GFTC
Permanent Resident

USA
6331 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2005 :  11:14:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit GFTC's Homepage Send GFTC a Private Message
Lissa, I'm sorry to be the latest person to get you upset. My question was not offered quite as seriously as your response. Just as I knit for pleasure, I come to KR to get away from intensity. You've mentioned your problems with your mother quite often in other threads so you may be seeing this as the same kind of thing but I have a good relationship with my mother and I guess I was seeing my "problem" in a somewhat playful light since her linen closet would only contain, well, linens. My mom is actually not judgemental at all and if I (or my brothers) needed money she would write a check, no questions asked.

GFTC of NYC
Go to Top of Page

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2005 :  11:16:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by GFTC

pretending as though everyone has a yarn closet

Everyone doesn't? (and, you can fit it all in a closet?)

Hand her the towels. It's standard treatment for a houseguest, mother or not.

(of course, you may feel free to ship the yarn to me to keep it safe and out of her sight.... I'd return it... honest...)

"Choose your friends by their character and your socks by their color. Choosing your socks by their character makes no sense, and choosing your friends by their color is unthinkable."
http://RoseByAny.BlogSpot.Com
Go to Top of Page

PamS
Seriously Hooked

USA
943 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2005 :  11:31:55 AM  Show Profile Send PamS a Private Message
If I put all of my yarn in my closets, where would I keep my clothes?

My stash has become part of my living room decor. Indeed, I keep thinking of new contrapments to store and display. I could start my own Internet business with my stash, and I don't think that I quite scratch the surface compared with others--and you know who you are!

Oh--and--give her the towels, unless you're prepared to share your stash.

--PamS
Women don't have hot flashes, they have power surges.
Go to Top of Page

minh
Permanent Resident and Destasher Extraordinnaire

USA
3464 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2005 :  11:36:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit minh's Homepage Send minh a Private Message
Not only does everyone have a yarn CLOSET, everyone also has a yarn room, yarn studio, yarn garage, yarn basement, yarn shop, right??

Yep, give her the stack of towels. Just as a precaution, leave a note on your yarn closet explaining that it works like a mini bar: anything she takes out of it will be charged later ;) Better be safe than sorry!

--Minh
Go to Top of Page

KellyKnits
Permanent Resident

USA
1608 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2005 :  11:47:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit KellyKnits's Homepage Send KellyKnits a Private Message
Minh - you forgot the yarn suitcase - you know the one you have to unpack before you can go anywhere!

Kelly
Go to Top of Page

Lissa
Permanent Resident

USA
4942 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2005 :  12:57:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit Lissa's Homepage Send Lissa a Private Message
GFTC, I didn't mean to sound upset. I'm not. Of course, there's no way to present inflection in a typed response, and since there have been several people posting lately who are letting others dictate thier lives to them, I was afraid that your post was another of those. Just really wanted help you realize that you get to do what you want to do - obviously, you didn't need that encouragement - <grin>!

Lissa

During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a
revolutionary act. -- George Orwell

Oh, and I now have a blog:http://knittnlissa.typepad.com/knittnlissa/
Go to Top of Page

yarnlover
Permanent Resident

1753 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2005 :  1:04:36 PM  Show Profile Send yarnlover a Private Message
quote:
Or do I wait for the natural discovery and the inevitable "OMG! You must be kidding!!!"

I vote for this one. It sounds like a lot more fun to me.

See My Stuff: Here

Go to Top of Page

GFTC
Permanent Resident

USA
6331 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2005 :  1:40:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit GFTC's Homepage Send GFTC a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Lissa
there have been several people posting lately who are letting others dictate thier lives to them, I was afraid that your post was another of those

No, I'm the opposite of that but I have to admit there are times I think things would be a whole lot easier if someone else was in charge once in a while, LOL.

GFTC of NYC
Go to Top of Page

Sketcher
Gabber Extraordinaire

597 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2005 :  2:16:24 PM  Show Profile Send Sketcher a Private Message
Well, that doesn't sound like so much. Maybe you should show it to her and ask her if she'd like to help you go out shopping for more during the day after Thanksgiving sales (or as my son in retail calls it "Black Friday")
Go to Top of Page

celia
Permanent Resident

Australia
2454 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2005 :  2:24:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit celia's Homepage Send celia a Private Message
I vote for the "say nothing" option. My mum came to stay with me a few months ago and I didn't mention anything about my yarn stash. She found it, and she said nothing <grin>
I guess the two wheels in my living room were more of a concern - "They don't do the same thing?", she said, gesturing to the two wheels. She seemed to be perfectly understanding when I explained I needed one of them for plying as it had the jumbo flyer and bobbin (i neglected to say that I was gettign a jumbo flyer and bobbin for the other wheel too). So I think letting her discover it for herself is way to go :) When I was driving her to meet dad at the end of her stay I happened to mention that I love yarn and she said "Yeah, I noticed. I saw your collection". Ha! Collection! :) Not just stash, but collection.

celia

My blog is here:
http://celiaknits.blogspot.com
I am destashing here:
http://celias-basket.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Valk_scot
Permanent Resident

United Kingdom
1281 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2005 :  2:49:40 PM  Show Profile Send Valk_scot a Private Message
I recall a time many years ago when Hubby and I had to move in with my mother for a few months while we got the finances straightened out between two houses. My old bedroom was still clear, she`d cleared out the boxroom for all our packing cases and without even being asked she said she`d cleared out a second bedroom for my "stuff"....by which she meant my two sewing machines, tailors form, stash of fabrics, stash of yarns, the knitting machine I had back then etc etc. She knew I`d go crazy if I didn`t manage to get space for all my making of things, even though she barely ever sews or knits.

Most mothers are used to tolerating the peculiarities of their kids, you know. They probably still remember your pet rock collection, even!

Val.

[img]http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/26/26_9_21.gif[/img]
Go to Top of Page

Boogie
Permanent Resident

USA
3073 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2005 :  3:25:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit Boogie's Homepage Send Boogie a Private Message
I vote for the OMG moment.
I love those suprises.
My mom the other day seemed to think my sock stash was perfectly normal. Either that or it made her speachless.

amy
http://theboogerblog.blogspot.com
http://www.spunkyhats.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.69 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth