Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Yarn Talk
 Favorite Yarns
 Various Fibers
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

COgirl
Permanent Resident

USA
2176 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2005 :  9:17:28 PM  Show Profile Send COgirl a Private Message
Ok, not sure where to post this question and I almost feel stupid asking it. There are so many different kinds of yarn around. Cotton and silk are obvious. Is there any site to vist that describes the different kinds of wool and the pros and cons of each one? I confess I'm a real dummy when it comes to this.

knittyref
Chatty Knitter

USA
112 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2005 :  10:06:12 PM  Show Profile Send knittyref a Private Message
There is no such thing as a stupid question. That said, it is possible to focus the question a little more? Are you looking for a definition of merino vs. cashmere vs. angora, and the uses of each?

Finally, don't call yourself names! You're not a dummy, just uninformed. It's great that you're educating yourself.

Di
www.knittyref.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

COgirl
Permanent Resident

USA
2176 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2005 :  10:17:23 PM  Show Profile Send COgirl a Private Message
It would seem after 7 or 8 years of knitting, I'd have learned all of this.

There's cashmere, mohair, merino, alpaca, lamb's wool (? not sure what you call the usual stuff). I'm probably forgetting some. What animals are they from? What are the wools like? Are they different to knit with? Pros and cons of each? For example, is alpaca scratchy? Do they come in the same colors?

Just looking for a yarn tutorial.
Go to Top of Page

Boondoggled
Chatty Knitter

USA
305 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2005 :  08:03:23 AM  Show Profile Send Boondoggled a Private Message
I don't know of a website. However, there's a book, "In Sheep's Clothing" by Jane Fournier, which has very in depth information about the wool of many, many different breeds of sheep. The book is written for spinners, but I find it really helpful for knitting and choosing yarn, etc.

There was an article in Interweave fall 2003, which described just about every type of exotic fiber out there.

Between these two resources, pretty much all animal fibers are covered, with the exception of alpaca, goat and rabbit.
Go to Top of Page

Fivefibers
Permanent Resident

USA
1131 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2005 :  5:01:30 PM  Show Profile Send Fivefibers a Private Message
COgirl,

Lamb's wool simply refers to a fleece produced by a sheep under one year of age.

Mohair comes from angora (or mohair) goats; angora fiber comes from angora rabbits. Both originated from the same part of the world (Turkey). Thomas Jefferson is believed to have brought angora rabbits to this country. He did bring merino sheep, but no one was quite sure how to care for them. Angora goats have been with us in the US for some time, the original flock was presented as a gift from the (Pasha? Sultan?) of Turkey...I think back in the 1840's or 1850's. From insufficient knowledge of their care, they had almost died out by the time of the American Civil War.

Wool, btw, is a self-extinguishing fiber. This simply means that, if it is exposed to flame, it will ignite; the fire in the wool dies as the flame is taken away. It burns at a much higher temp than is necessary for synthetics to melt.

Fivefibers
2sheep; 3goats; 5bunnies
(so far)
Go to Top of Page

knittyref
Chatty Knitter

USA
112 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2005 :  5:51:38 PM  Show Profile Send knittyref a Private Message
Here are 2 websites hat do a bit of helpful explaining:

http://www.factmonster.com/ce6/society/A0861996.html

http://www.woolworks.org/fibers.html

Di
www.knittyref.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

COgirl
Permanent Resident

USA
2176 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2005 :  6:09:40 PM  Show Profile Send COgirl a Private Message
Di and Fivefibers, thank you so much.
Go to Top of Page

Ditzy Girl
Permanent Resident

USA
4723 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2005 :  6:25:26 PM  Show Profile Send Ditzy Girl a Private Message
I also thank you both. Interesting reading.

Zola, Seattle, Wash.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.44 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?