Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Celebrating Texas fiber producers
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Spinner Central
 Spinning Techniques
 Fibers and setting twist
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

seastines@comcast.net
New Pal

11 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2005 :  1:44:11 PM  Show Profile Send seastines@comcast.net a Private Message
Hi everyone, these are newbie questions that I hope will be easy to answer. I'm now spinning singles with my new wheel and getting pretty good at a consistent twist. The Brown Sheep fiber that came with my wheel seems to puff up quite a bit when I soak it to set the twist. Does the fact that it's 85% wool and 15% mohair have something to do with it? Do some fibers puff up more than others? Will plying help limit that? What have been your experiences with different fibers? Silk, merino, etc...Thanks!

BessH
Permanent Resident

3095 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2005 :  1:59:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit BessH's Homepage Send BessH a Private Message
In the main, the answer to all your questions is - yes - the wool blooms after it gets wet. Plying loosens the twist in both/all the singles so they puff up then too. The individual wool's crimp will puff it up more or less.

My experience is you nearly always need to spin finer than you thought. Till you decide you want to spin thick yarn and then you have to practice that too! Fortunately, practice gets you there. And isn't it fun practicing?

Bess
http://likethequeen.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Lissa
Permanent Resident

USA
4942 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2005 :  8:07:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit Lissa's Homepage Send Lissa a Private Message
Add to that: If you're going to be plying, you need to overtwist your singles some. If it's perfect twist in the singles, the plyed yarn will likely underspun and ill-defined.

Lissa

During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a
revolutionary act. -- George Orwell

Oh, and I now have a blog:http://knittnlissa.typepad.com/knittnlissa/
Go to Top of Page

blwinteler
Permanent Resident

USA
3145 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2005 :  8:57:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit blwinteler's Homepage  Send blwinteler a Yahoo! Message Send blwinteler a Private Message
Also, you don't really need to set the twist in singles if you are going to ply them. Set it after plying. (of course, I am using a drop spindle, but I have gotten the idea that where setting the twist is concerned it is about the same. Please let me know if I am wrong.)

Take care!
Brandy

My finished projects

We are but 8 score young blondes and brunettes... all between 16 and 19-and-a-half... cut off in this castle with no one to protect us! Oh... it is a lonely life. Bathing... dressing... undressing... knitting exciting underwear ....(Monty Python and the Holy Grail, Tale of Sir Galahad)
Go to Top of Page

Lissa
Permanent Resident

USA
4942 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2005 :  10:42:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit Lissa's Homepage Send Lissa a Private Message
Noting that you're not really setting the twist - you're actually UNsetting it - so the yarn settles into its natural state.

Lissa

During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a
revolutionary act. -- George Orwell

Oh, and I now have a blog:http://knittnlissa.typepad.com/knittnlissa/
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.14 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth