Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Sock Forum
 Sock needles
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ember
Chatty Knitter

USA
112 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2005 :  12:21:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ember's Homepage Send Ember a Private Message
I just bought some dp needles with the intent of knitting socks. When I got them home, I realized that each set consisted of 4 needles. Isn't it supposed to be 5? You divide the stitches on 4 needles and use one to knit with, right? Or do you divide them on 3 needles and use the 4th to knit?
I sure hope I don't need to buy another set of each just for the one extra needle.

Punctuatedknitter
Seriously Hooked

819 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2005 :  01:05:00 AM  Show Profile Send Punctuatedknitter a Private Message
I have some sets with 4 and some with 5. Most of my patterns that are specific about needle # mention dividing on 3.
I like having 5 better though, because I'm always losing one in the couch!
Go to Top of Page

Maybird
Chatty Knitter

United Kingdom
155 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2005 :  04:43:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit Maybird's Homepage Send Maybird a Private Message
Here in Britain they seem to ONLY sell sets of four, and it is usual to have the stitches on three needles and knit with the fourth. I've never knitted with five! Though I do wish we could get sets of five as I like to take my knitting around with me and am bound to lose a needle one day...
Go to Top of Page

Momo
Seriously Hooked

635 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2005 :  04:50:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit Momo's Homepage Send Momo a Private Message
You can knit them either way. Some prefer having the stitches on 4 needles for patterns stitches and the like. Also because holding a "square" is more comfortable to some people than holding a "triangle". IIRC, stitches on 4 needles is a more eastern thing and stitches on 3 is more western.

Cheers,

Charc

My Blog: Kung Fu Knitting
Go to Top of Page

truly violet
Permanent Resident

6398 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2005 :  06:45:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit truly violet's Homepage Send truly violet a Private Message
I always used 5 and knitted in the square..
I just like it better that way..
I failed at magic loop, as I didn't understand it.... and someone who is a confirmed magic loop user did try to convert me soooooooooooo hard....( with the new found enthusiasm of the newly converted-she just learned to knit and learned the magic loop)

I really would like to learn it.......but I am magic loop impaired

so dps it is

I like 5 or more
and you folks that only have sets of 4 ......get another SET....
as if you ARE going to lose one anyway.... this way you have a few spares...

( I make sets of 7 for sock dp's anyway as I step on them or roll over them with a chair)

vi

none of this will matter in 100 years.......
except I will finally be at my goal weight...vi
http://notashyviolet.blogspot.com/ ~now with chickens!
Go to Top of Page

Corrina
Warming Up

72 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2005 :  08:28:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit Corrina's Homepage  Send Corrina a Yahoo! Message Send Corrina a Private Message
I find that using only 4 dpns total makes me end up with more ladders.

That said, I've totally converted to magic loop. No more lost needles!
Go to Top of Page

lella
Permanent Resident

9712 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2005 :  10:09:12 PM  Show Profile Send lella a Private Message
To test things out, tonight I removed one of the four working needles on a sock I'm making, and immediately felt the pressure in my hands. So I added the fourth needle back into the stitches.

If you are going to stay with DPNs treat yourself to another set so that you have plenty. Three sets isn't too many, really, unless you find them in sets of five.

lella[img]http://smilies.sofrayt.com/^/9971/omelet.gif[/img]

http://zippiknits.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

adalton124
Seriously Hooked

659 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2005 :  05:07:24 AM  Show Profile Send adalton124 a Private Message
I prefer 5 dpns for socks, but I'm learning about 2 circs right now, so I'm not currently losing needles, just my mind. (as in d*#*! wrong circ!) haha

Angela
Go to Top of Page

trekcelt
Seriously Hooked

USA
849 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2005 :  06:47:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit trekcelt's Homepage Send trekcelt a Private Message
I bought 2 sets of my size 3s because the sets only had 4 needles. That said, I work the cuff and leg on a triangle because the square is too floppy until the sock really gets going. I actually use 7 needles in the gussets - no pressure on the knitting at all - and return to a square until the toe decreases where I drop back down to my friendly triangle again. All in all, I am very happy that I got the extra set of dpns.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

FO: 28, WIP: 2
trek's blog

"As for me and my house..."
Go to Top of Page

metromaples
Seriously Hooked

USA
878 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2005 :  07:08:20 AM  Show Profile Send metromaples a Private Message
I generally have the sock on three and knit with the fourth but sometimes have the sock on four and knit with the fifth, especially on the gusset. When I want to try it on I'll knit in extra needles until I have it on 7 or 8. I never pay attention to which stitches are on which needle numbers. I use markers (generally yarn rings) to remind me where to do gusset and toe decreases.

Jeri
Go to Top of Page

bcartercps
Warming Up

USA
80 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2005 :  2:55:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit bcartercps's Homepage Send bcartercps a Private Message
I do the same thing ... use stitch markers to show where to do gusset and toe decreases. I found when I worried about how many stitches were on which needle, I got ladders - Yuck!!! To avoid them, when I get to the end of every needle, I knit 2 stitches from the next needle onto the current needle. I do this every time and NEVER have ladders!!!
Go to Top of Page

SerMom
Permanent Resident

Canada
6412 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2005 :  4:35:10 PM  Show Profile Send SerMom a Private Message
I'm teaching a couple of the kids in my knitting club DPN. One of them, I started on 3 + 1, the other on 4 + 1. I found it easier, myself, to start with the 3, but since I don't really use DPN myself, I don't have enough experience to know what happens after the knitting gets a little bigger.

I had to explain to them that the reason it was awkward to me was because I wasn't used to it, not because it was inherently difficult!

Barbara
It's a feature, not a bug.

Photos:
Blog:

Fran's Site:

Go to Top of Page

Karknit
Seriously Hooked

USA
711 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2005 :  5:25:44 PM  Show Profile Send Karknit a Private Message
I'm a 5er myself, always have always will.

karknit

My diet incentive, to knit smaller sweaters.
Go to Top of Page

eastofeden
Chatty Knitter

USA
177 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2005 :  12:54:26 PM  Show Profile Send eastofeden a Private Message
I prefer to use 4 needles. I find the triangle much more stable and less "fidgety" then the square you get when you use 5. I also like more stitches on each needle, which allows you to knit farther/longer before changing needles.

But there is no wrong or right way...just a preference which works best for you. Explore all the methods..you may learn something new which is not a bad thing!
Go to Top of Page

Margie
Permanent Resident

USA
1032 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2005 :  6:40:10 PM  Show Profile Send Margie a Private Message
I am in the group of using 5 needles. Easier on my hands and when one goes missing (it will, unfortunately) you can work with the remaining 4.

I thought someone mentioned ladders above but now I can't find it. I just knit an extra two stitchs from the next needle so the 'change the needle place' is always moving. Do this all the way round and round and round and it works. For me at least.

Margie

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.53 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?