Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A true British yarn from Erika Knight
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Yarn Talk
 Favorite Yarns
 Blue Sky Alpaca
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

brannonobrien
New Pal

USA
30 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2005 :  09:28:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit brannonobrien's Homepage Send brannonobrien a Private Message
I'm just finishing a small shrug that I knit with Blue Sky Alpaca (Sport Weight), and it was one of the two softest yarns I've ever knit with! I double stranded it and got a heavy-worsted weight.

It shed slightly as I worked with it, but I only noticed that on the day I was wearing a white shirt (my yarn is grape color.)

Anyway, I can't wait to do some socks with it!

Chelle
www.meandmygirlproductions.blogspot.com

LittleMousling
Permanent Resident

USA
1093 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2005 :  11:33:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit LittleMousling's Homepage Send LittleMousling a Private Message
I'm going a Fair Isle scarf in this and love it, but I wouldn't use it for socks - they'd be broilingly hot (and I'd surely sweat and get the insides all slimy) and alpaca doesn't have the stretch of wool, so it'd be all too likely to stretch out and never pull in the way a sock should.

-Molly, obsessive but not exclusive socknitter
Stash photos and some FOs
Go to Top of Page

Elaine in NJ
Gabber Extraordinaire

584 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2005 :  07:36:36 AM  Show Profile Send Elaine in NJ a Private Message
I am making a Fair Isles vest for my husband in shades of grey, black and white. I'm just above the armhole decreases on the front, and if I must say so myself, it's absolutely gorgeous. And I love working with this yarn. Feels wonderful in your fingers.

Life is too short to waste it on acrylic.
Go to Top of Page

knittyref
Chatty Knitter

USA
112 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2005 :  11:54:02 PM  Show Profile Send knittyref a Private Message
I'd be wary of making socks in alpaca. Too much friction and it felts. But it's a fabulous yarn, nonetheless. If you're looking to use up leftover yarn, think about a lacy-type scarf. Alpaca is perfect for that kind of project.

Di
www.knittyref.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

pianogal
Seriously Hooked

629 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2005 :  08:14:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit pianogal's Homepage Send pianogal a Private Message
It is deliciously soft. I like to use it in place of Rowan Big Wool in Rowan patterns to make extra-warm hats and scarves.

http://abeginningknitter.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

cptmoll
New Pal

20 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2005 :  5:00:33 PM  Show Profile Send cptmoll a Private Message
I'm glad to see this thread...I just finished a pair of mittens in a beautiful turquoise color of the Blue Sky sortweight alpaca and I love them. In the last few days, I've had at least two snowball fights with them and they've held up wonderfully. It seems like they may have recently changed the yarn....mine came in a wrapped skein form, not in the wound up ball like the picture on the review page. Maybe that explains why I didn't have the same problems Claire had when she did the yarn review?
Go to Top of Page

LittleMousling
Permanent Resident

USA
1093 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2005 :  6:09:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit LittleMousling's Homepage Send LittleMousling a Private Message
Well, they changed the put-up, but I'm pretty sure the yarn's the same - but you get an extra ten yards! ;)

-Molly, obsessive but not exclusive socknitter
Stash photos and some FOs
Go to Top of Page

Joelle
Chatty Knitter

197 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2005 :  08:51:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit Joelle's Homepage Send Joelle a Private Message
This is one of my favorite yarns too! When they changed the put up of the yarn they also changed manufacturers, and when they changed manufacturers they got a higher quality alpaca. The blue sky sportweight is now 100% baby alpaca which is why it is so soft. The spin on it makes it incredibly lofty. Linda, who owns blue sky, has an amazing eye for fiber.
Joelle
www.purlsoho.com
Go to Top of Page

msgb
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
531 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2005 :  3:22:55 PM  Show Profile Send msgb a Private Message
I have fallen in love with alpaca, too. I have some Frog Tree Alpaca that I am making two sweaters. I just wish every yarn felt this good
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.5 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe