Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Tool Talk
 Needles
 double pointed needles
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

honey5
New Pal

5 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2003 :  10:45:35 PM  Show Profile Send honey5 a Private Message
I'm having trouble using my double pointed needles to make a baby hat that is to small for circular needles. The first row doesn't join the way it does on circular. There is an indentation on the first row. What am I doing wrong. Thanks for the help. H.Mann

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2003 :  11:16:34 AM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message
I think the problem is that the first round leaves a loose stitch. There are a lot of suggested solutions for this. I have never been satisfied with any of them. I try to pull the first stitch snuggly when forming the circle and then take one stitch at the end of the knitting with the yarn tail before weaving it in and that works the best for me. It works so well that now I will knit one row before forming the knitting into a circle. It means that I have to take two stitches to close it but it really helps to keep the stitches from twisting.

fran

Go to Top of Page

chris
Permanent Resident

USA
2463 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2003 :  11:29:15 AM  Show Profile Send chris a Private Message
I was taught to cast on one more stitch than is called for, then slip the end (last) stitch onto the needle with the beginning (first) stitch and knit the two together. It's a little thick, but it makes a nice tight join for me.

chris

Keep on knittin', mama, knittin' those blues away!
Go to Top of Page

linda-gail
Permanent Resident

USA
1052 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2003 :  11:59:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit linda-gail's Homepage Send linda-gail a Private Message
I use both of the methods mentioned, have tried them one at a time, then together, and together gets me the best results, though still not as smooth as I'd like. Happy knitting. Linda

Go to Top of Page

Kristin
Seriously Hooked

USA
606 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2003 :  12:09:11 PM  Show Profile Send Kristin a Private Message
I like to cast on the stitches I need onto one needle (if possible) and then distribute them to the 4 needles (or 3, depending on how many you're using). To start knitting, I move the last stitch over the first stitch onto the first needle (joins the knitting). The 1st stitch is moved to the last needle. Then I begin knitting (so what was technically the "last" stitch is now the first).

Does that make sense?

--Kristin

"A little nonsense now & then is relished by the wisest men." --Roald Dahl
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.42 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by