Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Revisiting the mitered square
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Shop Talk
 Dream LYS
 I don't like being watched constantly...
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2005 :  8:12:01 PM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message
Crazyfor Ewe maybe you shold emntion who it was so that other trusting KR shop owners don't get fleeced by her.

"An injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Martin Luther King Jr.
www.femiknits.blog-city.com
Go to Top of Page

CrazyforEwe
Chatty Knitter

USA
159 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2005 :  8:41:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit CrazyforEwe's Homepage Send CrazyforEwe a Private Message
Good idea. Here's her user name: to_the_pointe@comcast.net My e-mail has been continually returned with indications that it was an inaccurate e-mail address. Perhaps she's just changed her address. I don't know. Whatever.

Ellen

A bad day at the yarn shop is better than a great day at the office!
www.crazyforewe.com
Go to Top of Page

Jehaine
New Pal

39 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2005 :  6:15:22 PM  Show Profile Send Jehaine a Private Message
It's horrible that happened to you CrazyForEwe, but unfortunately that does not surprise me about the Internet. This network is wonderful for getting information, but I usually carry with me a hefty dose of judicious caution about my privacy, who I deal with, and any transactions dealing with money. I am also a member of a cosmetic website where some members swap cosmetics if they don't like a particular color of lipstick or wants to try different brands of shampoo/body lotion products. Sadly, there are a few bad eggs who take advantage of our swap exchange and receive the swapped items, but never give "their end" in return. Instead, their identity immediately "disappears" from the Internet or they hang around enough till it becomes apparent that they're about to get "caught".

My suggestions is to have a policy to have the money first, then send the item. If the potential buyer/swapper doesn't like it, well, they're always free to look elsewhere. :)

Take care,
-- Jehaine
Go to Top of Page

stubbornkelly
Chatty Knitter

USA
122 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2005 :  02:37:24 AM  Show Profile Send stubbornkelly a Private Message
I manage an independent retail shop - although not an LYS - and there's a fine line between hovering/watching them like a hawk and making yourself available to customers/doing your best to deter theft. In our shop, we have a ten foot rule - essentially, you should always stay within ten feet of your customer and at least visually check in from time to time. My staff should know where their customers are in the store at all times.

Since retail stores are in business to make money, consider that the person following you isn't assuming you're going to steal, but is actively trying to sell you things. It's possible she was trying to break down your resistance to the sales process by talking about non-yarn related topics. It's a technique. Although, I'd be surprised. Not too many people are actually trained in how to sell anymore.

If all I did was wait for my customers to ask me questions or didn't inform them of other products that might enhance their primary intended purchase, my sales stats would be a mess!

It's a learned balance - you have to accept that some customers genuinely do not want any help, and it's tough to learn how to be available and make suggestions without having the customer think you're trying to push something on them or assuming they're stealing.
Go to Top of Page

knittingdiva
Gabber Extraordinaire

394 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2005 :  07:25:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit knittingdiva's Homepage Send knittingdiva a Private Message
Oh, goodness, let's see if I can remember what a 'shoplifter' does...

I remember that the biggest thing was that right when they walked into a store they eyeballed the entire space rather than remaining focused on things that were maybe 5 - 10 feet in front of them. Think of it as 'casing' a store. We were told that this is usually so that someone with bad intentions knew how many clerks were in the store and where they were. I totally do this, and actually (and this is a weird quirk) usually focus on things 15 - 20 feet away.

The other big one that I can remember is that we were told to look for people who wouldn't look at you directly or make eye contact. I can't remember WHY this was a red flag, but maybe it was so that ID'ing someone would be harder? While I still "case" a store, this is what I've changed - I make eye contact, smile and say hello, and then say "I'll come find you if I have questions?" which addresses both the "leave me alone!" thing that many of us seem to want, as well as just in case people are working on comissions.

I hope that helps...?
:)
Wendy

http://sometimesatypical.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

KL
Permanent Resident

6041 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2005 :  07:43:42 AM  Show Profile Send KL a Private Message
Thanks Wendy for the hints- I wasn't even aware of the initial casing around the room. I'll definately watch for that. I'm always suspicous of anyone who won't look you in the eye in any circumstance. KL
Go to Top of Page

lemons
Permanent Resident

1692 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2005 :  08:08:54 AM  Show Profile Send lemons a Private Message
I've occasionally been "tailed" in a store. I have a couple of times turned to the clerk and said, "Is my bag what's making you uncomfortable? Would you feel better if I left it up at the desk or something?" They get the hint. Occasionally I even add that I'll keep my knitting notebook with me. If they take me up on the offer, I make sure they understand THEY become responsible for the bag. Call me a witch, but I can't stand being followed by a clerk unless I ask for it.

lemons of missouri
Go to Top of Page

Lissa
Permanent Resident

USA
4942 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2005 :  09:00:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit Lissa's Homepage Send Lissa a Private Message
Why is it that people who are direct are labeled "witches"? I say that you're an upfront, good customer...

Lissa

During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a
revolutionary act. -- George Orwell

Oh, and I now have a blog:http://knittnlissa.typepad.com/knittnlissa/
Go to Top of Page

tothepointe
New Pal

20 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2005 :  10:05:48 AM  Show Profile Send tothepointe a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by CrazyforEwe

It's so hard to decide. Most people are painfully honest, and I've never had a bad check, and have not had anything stolen from me. So, I try to err on the side of total trust. However, I had a bad experience with that naive attitute. In the last 6 weeks or so, a member of KR forums put out a request for two balls of yarn in a particular dye lot in order to finish the neckline of her sweater. I checked my stock, and lo and behold, I had that yarn in that dye lot. How often does that happen??? So, I called her and mailed it to her with a self addressed, stamped envelope for payment by check. I know, I should have gotten a credit card payment, but since it was through KR, I thought it would be all right. I've done it many times with my customers before, and I always receive a check within a week. Call me naive, call me stupid, whatever, but I'm so disappointed. When I try to e-mail her, my messages are blocked, and doesn't return my phone calls. It's just such a letdown when you discover that people are not always honest.

Ellen

That was me. You didn't get the check? Please email me at tothepointe@gmail.com (the email I registered with doesn't work) and I'll gladly give you my cc. It is not my intention to rip anyone off. Please contact me at above email. I'm at this point mortified that someone thinks I'd rip them off.
www.crazyforewe.com

Go to Top of Page

lemons
Permanent Resident

1692 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2005 :  11:56:41 AM  Show Profile Send lemons a Private Message
Oh, Lissa, I was just trying to be tactful. (Rare occasion, that.) Hardly anyone has the nerve to call me a witch to my face....

lemons
Go to Top of Page

pugsweater
Gabber Extraordinaire

452 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2005 :  12:36:32 PM  Show Profile Send pugsweater a Private Message
and what is her useid, ellen, so that we all may know and be careful? i'm sorry that happenned.

Pugknits Blog
Go to Top of Page

CrazyforEwe
Chatty Knitter

USA
159 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2005 :  05:03:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit CrazyforEwe's Homepage Send CrazyforEwe a Private Message
Hi all, the person in question has graciously responded to my posting and indicated that it was a mix up. She has sent a credit card number, and everything will be all right. I am sorry for any hurt feelings I've caused. She is not a thief, and these sorts of things can happen to any of us. Thank you all for your kindness and support of my trouble. My faith in the goodness of knitters everywhere has been restored.

Ellen

www.crazyforewe.com
Go to Top of Page

Ditzy Girl
Permanent Resident

USA
4723 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2005 :  07:36:49 AM  Show Profile Send Ditzy Girl a Private Message
It's nice that this ended so well.

Zola, Seattle, Wash.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.52 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by