Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Revisiting the mitered square
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Felting Talk
 Best yarns and fibers for felting
 Felt with bulky thick/thin yarn?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

RoseM
Permanent Resident

Canada
1898 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2005 :  12:07:01 PM  Show Profile Send RoseM a Private Message
Just wondering if anyone has tried feling with this type of yarn -- like Point Five. I have some skien of Fleece Artist Slubby that I was going to use for a Michelin Man-esque sweater . . . won't ever do it . . . the colorway would make some fantastic felted bowls.

Opinions anyone? Because the yarn isn't tightly spun, does it get super hairy after felting? Just finished felting a Lopi bag and the amount of hair off that thing was awful. The bag should look ok after a shave tho [:00].

Thanks so much,
RoseM

KAMAOR
Chatty Knitter

113 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2005 :  1:48:38 PM  Show Profile Send KAMAOR a Private Message
I've felted some bags with the Manos Del Uruguay Handspun Multi Colors. It might not be quite as "lofty/loose" as the Point Five but it does go from a tight to a loose tension. I was a little concerned while knitting it that it would pull away from itself where it was really loose but it didn't. After felting you really couldn't tell where it was tight or loose. Felt a swatch amount and see how it goes. I was suprised how fast the Manos felted one full trip through the wash with just a little spin to get the excess water out. I had used Lambs Pride before and that took quite a few trips through the wash.
Experimenting is half the fun!
Karen
Go to Top of Page

RoseM
Permanent Resident

Canada
1898 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2005 :  01:16:05 AM  Show Profile Send RoseM a Private Message
Thanks Karen, I will try. Usually I'm not too shy about doing up a felted swatch . . . but I don't have much of this and know I'll need it all.
RoseM
Go to Top of Page

kbshee
Permanent Resident

USA
4152 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2005 :  10:03:52 AM  Show Profile Send kbshee a Private Message
Rose, I've felted with hip hop, which is a thickthin from Berroco (I also have some FA that I'm thinking about felting too). Anyway...it does felt, but instead of a 'straight edge' you'll get a wavy edge. It looks great on the bag I did...sort of like the edge of a shell. I really like it. I'm going to felt a few more bags with some hip hop I purchased on a destash to replicate the look.

kim in oregon
http://kbshee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

holly@heritagerecipes.com
New Pal

6 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2005 :  11:03:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit holly@heritagerecipes.com's Homepage Send holly@heritagerecipes.com a Private Message
When I felt with a thick and thin yarn I use LP or Cascade for the second strand.

Holly
www.felted-bags.com
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.41 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.