Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: We welcome a succulent Merino from Patagonia
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Reader's Corner
 Errata in Knitting Patterns
 Handknit Holidays errata?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

afrelichde@msn.com
New Pal

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2005 :  09:42:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit afrelichde@msn.com's Homepage Send afrelichde@msn.com a Private Message
A friend is trying to make the Stained Glass scarf from this book, and the pattern quite obviously does not produce the scarf in the picture. Has anyone made anything from this book? Aware of any corrections posted online? I haven't been able to find anything. I borrowed the book from the library, and love the projects, but am loath to purchase it if there are a lot of corrections to be made.

Thanks!

Lumberjill
Chatty Knitter

USA
188 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2005 :  3:42:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit Lumberjill's Homepage Send Lumberjill a Private Message
I was wondering the same thing. I can't find any errata yet online, and I even checked the publisher's website.

I haven't looked carefully at that double-knit scarf pattern. I was working on the multi-directional scarf, and there seems to be a flub in the directions for that one, too. I did find a blog by someone who made that scarf, and I may try contacting her. Maybe try a web search for that specific pattern and see what comes up?

Other than that, I imagine we'll get some errata posted eventually -- but the book's pretty new, so it may take a while.

http://laurakeet.blogspot.com/
Be careful or your face will stay that way.
Go to Top of Page

Atavistic
Permanent Resident

6604 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2005 :  1:25:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit Atavistic's Homepage Send Atavistic a Private Message
I checked out this book at the store last night and while I didn't find those errors, one pattern has <> in place of the () that every other pattern uses (around sizes, multiple size instructions, etc). Seems like maybe this book was pushed to market a bit too soon!

Amanda

"Is that my Not-Mine Sweater? Whoever gets that Not-Mine Sweater is very lucky."
Go to Top of Page

cat.k.
Chatty Knitter

USA
292 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2005 :  10:46:54 AM  Show Profile Send cat.k. a Private Message
I cast on for the gansey this weekend, and I can't get the first chart to work.

Any way I interpret the directions, I can't seem to reconcile the chart with the number of cast-on stitches. I've done two Aran sweaters before, so I have some experience with cable charts. But this seems to include large sections of stockinette, but the photo of the sweater certainly doesn't show that.

I'm questioning myself.

Has anybody else tried it yet?

One of the customer reviews on Amazon said there was an error in this pattern, but the whole tone of that review was angry, so I'm not sure it's trustworthy.

Cat
Go to Top of Page

Uccellina
New Pal

3 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2005 :  1:12:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit Uccellina's Homepage Send Uccellina a Private Message
I'm so glad to hear (in a schadenfreude kind of way) that someone else is having the same problem with the Stained Glass Scarf. The picture is so lovely, and I was really excited to do this one, but the pattern as written makes a nice double-sided scarf with no striping. I keep trying to figure it out on my own, but so far, no luck. I'm actually going to see the author tonight at my LYS, and if I work up my nerve I'll ask her.
Go to Top of Page

KEG
Sustaining Member

122 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2005 :  1:37:57 PM  Show Profile Send KEG a Private Message
This doesn't have anything about the Stained Glass scarf, but has errata for some other Handknit Holidays patterns:
errata
Go to Top of Page

Uccellina
New Pal

3 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2005 :  2:14:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit Uccellina's Homepage Send Uccellina a Private Message
I did the triangle scarf, Laura - I didn't find an error in that one, but it's entirely possible that I overlooked one. What was the error you found?
Go to Top of Page

Uccellina
New Pal

3 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2005 :  01:53:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit Uccellina's Homepage Send Uccellina a Private Message
I spoke with the editor (not author, as I mis-spoke above), and she was not particularly receptive to the idea that there might be an error in the Stained-Glass scarf pattern. She said that she has not knitted that particular piece herself, but that it was one of the most difficult pieces in the book and that I must be doing it incorrectly. She did say that she would run it by the technical editor and get back to me.
Go to Top of Page

temari
Gabber Extraordinaire

497 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2005 :  08:37:16 AM  Show Profile Send temari a Private Message
There's somebody in the MD Yahoo group that is making the Stained Glass scarf and has not posted any questions. I saw a photo of the WIP and this person's scarf looked, to me, like the photo in the book.
Go to Top of Page

fillyjonk
Permanent Resident

1127 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2005 :  3:01:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit fillyjonk's Homepage Send fillyjonk a Private Message
Somewhere, someone said that they were having problems with a chart on the gansey. I've not looked closely at it (my one attempt to cast on for the gansey was abortive when I figured out I'd unlikely have enough yarn; I've since bought more and would like to start it again). Has anyone tried this out to see if there really was an error, or if the person complaining of an error was mistaken?
Go to Top of Page

cat.k.
Chatty Knitter

USA
292 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2005 :  05:40:16 AM  Show Profile Send cat.k. a Private Message
Hi, fillyjonk -- I posted in the "stuck on a pattern" section for help with the gansey, but no one's tackled it so far.

I just can't make the number of cast-on stitches match up with the directions for the first chart.

It's such a beautiful sweater; I want to dive into it.

Cat
Go to Top of Page

cat.k.
Chatty Knitter

USA
292 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2005 :  11:58:01 AM  Show Profile Send cat.k. a Private Message
Follow-up: The gansey designer herself very kindly posted some tips in the "Stuck on a Pattern" section that I think will help a lot.

Cat
Go to Top of Page

AnnDS
New Pal

USA
14 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2005 :  7:50:49 PM  Show Profile Send AnnDS a Private Message
Is anyone working on the wire menorah/votive sleeves? It's a very easy pattern, but I think the wire yardage and bead numbers are inadequate. I've tried twice to make a sleeve with just 5 yards, and even stretching it as I go, I come up very short -- about half to two-thirds of the way around a plain glass votive holder.

My advice to anyone making this pattern is to leave the wire on the spool, load about 50 or so more beads than suggested (you can always drop them later), and knit right from the spool. Don't cut the wire until you know the sleeve is the right length (about 7.25 inches for a standard, plain votive holder).

Good luck! This really is a very pretty item when finished!

Go to Top of Page

temari
Gabber Extraordinaire

497 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2005 :  9:43:16 PM  Show Profile Send temari a Private Message
Re: Stained Glass scarf - I've made about 10" of this scarf and it looks like the photo, so I don't think there's an error. This scarf is just double knitting.
Go to Top of Page

brown-eyed purl
Chatty Knitter

182 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2005 :  09:01:08 AM  Show Profile Send brown-eyed purl a Private Message
Ooooh, thanks, Ann! I've got some wire and beads, but not yet started them. I'll have to remember that.
Go to Top of Page

Clara
queen bee

USA
4404 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2005 :  4:29:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit Clara's Homepage Send Clara a Private Message
I just received the following from Melanie Falick and wanted to pass it along:

The pattern for the Stained Glass Scarf is correct as written. Please note that two methods are given for knitting this scarf. The Two-Stranded Method is faster but the technique takes longer to master. The Slip-and-Slide Method may be a better choice for someone new to double knitting, though it is slower. In order to make the Two-Stranded Method clearer, my wonderful technical editor has written the following clarification to the note at the beginning of the pattern. We hope this helpful.

Two-Stranded Method
When working this stitch pattern, with the exception of the first and
last st, all sts are worked in pairs; either a [k1, p1] pair or a [p1,
k1] pair. The [k1, p1] pairs produce a knit st on both sides of the
fabric; the [p1, k1] pairs produce a contrasting purl st on both sides
of the fabric. For all [k1, p1] pairs, carry both colors in the same
hand, taking both strands to the back when knitting and both strands to
the front when purling; knit or purl with only the color indicated. For
all [p1, k1] pairs, separate the strands with the color to be purled in
the front and the color to be knit in the back. Make sure the strands
are not twisted.

Clara
Your friendly Knitter's Review publisher
Go to Top of Page

glccafar
Seriously Hooked

825 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2005 :  5:27:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit glccafar's Homepage Send glccafar a Private Message
Here's some more errata, posted on the Handknit Holiday along http://handknitholidays.blogspot.com/2005_11_01_handknitholidays_archive.html

Errata

"Here is what Melanie sent to me for the over the knee socks, the pillow and the candycane hat.

Candy Cane Hat Pattern
Rnd 1 of the crown shaping should be as follows: Rnd 1: K1, *skp, k4; repeat from * to last 5 sts, skp, k3.
All of the following rnds work thereafter.

Over the Knee Socks
The first cable on Rnd 8 of the Ankle Chart on page 84 should be moved 1 st to the right.

Menorah Pillow
There are only 96 rows - the chart on page 38 is correct. The "97" in the pattern (on page 36)
is a typo.

There is an error on lines 41 and 42 of the chart -- there should be 9 (not
the charted 8) stitches on either side of the first/last cable; the st just
after/before the "no stitch" column should be a purl stitch.

Although the pillow photographed was made with 5 balls of Debbie Bliss Cashmerino Aran, one knitter reported not having enough yarn, so-to be safe-you might want to buy 6 balls."
Go to Top of Page

AnnDS
New Pal

USA
14 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2005 :  08:50:05 AM  Show Profile Send AnnDS a Private Message
More on the menorah/votive candle sleeves:

I've made a few more of these since posting, and here's what I do: I use a spool of 24-gauge copper wire (I've been into burgundy) and I do NOT measure or cut it. I just leave it on the spool.

I load about 220 beads on my wire and just knit from the spool. I haven't had too few beads yet (usually I have too many). I just leave the beads on the spool for the next sleeve.

About 6 inches goes around a standard glass votive holder (straight), so I knit eight stitches in stockinette for about 30 rows (just use the votive holder as a guide, as your knitting may be different).

As Annie Modesitt suggests, make sure you 'block' along the way, pulling and shaping your sleeve as you go. It looks good stretched out a bit.

I also tried skipping rows (using beads only on the knit rows), but I really like it better as is, with beads on every row. Don't worry if the beads escape their place -- it looks better that way.

Good luck -- this is a fun and quick project.
Go to Top of Page

purlwise
Chatty Knitter

259 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2005 :  12:27:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit purlwise's Homepage Send purlwise a Private Message
Hello everyone,

I just finished the Log Cabin Socks and want to mention one thing I found. The last set of cables on the heel flap (if knitting from top down) shouldn't be knitted otherwise you'll only be able to do two turns instead of three. The pattern doesn't mention this although one of the pictures clearly shows that the last set of cables are not knit.

Also, while Rowan Cork is very elastic, the cables counteract this. So, beware that a swatch in stockinette that matches the gauge in the book won't necessarily translate into a sock that fits properly.

Regards,
Melinda
www.purlwise.com
Go to Top of Page

brown-eyed purl
Chatty Knitter

182 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2005 :  11:03:29 AM  Show Profile Send brown-eyed purl a Private Message
Melinda, is that possibly a thing with the smaller size only? I'm on the foot part of the Log Cabin socks for DH and followed the pattern, including the cables on the heel. It seemed to work out really well for the larger size (which I'm doing in Plymouth Galway Chunky).
Go to Top of Page

purlwise
Chatty Knitter

259 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2005 :  6:56:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit purlwise's Homepage Send purlwise a Private Message
Good point brown-eyed purl. I made the smaller sized pair. Thanks for mentioning this.

Regards,
Melinda
www.purlwise.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2  Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.69 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth