Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Photos and wisdom from the Knitter's Review Retreat
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Tool Talk
 Gadgets
 DARUMA yarn Twister and Winder..anyone?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

loral56
Chatty Knitter

USA
314 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2005 :  11:54:30 AM  Show Profile Send loral56 a Private Message
Has anyone used the Daruma Twister/Winder? Do you know if it really works? Will it let me twist 2 strands of yarn together and then I'll be able to knit with the yarn. Would it be worth $100 or so?

I am seriously thinking about buying one but surely don't want to waste money that I could maybe spend on yarn!!

Appreciate any feedback.

Lora

Lissa
Permanent Resident

USA
4942 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2005 :  12:54:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit Lissa's Homepage Send Lissa a Private Message
Lora, you can simply knit with the two strands held together - you don't have to invest in a machine to twist them first.

HTH

Lissa

During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a
revolutionary act. -- George Orwell

Oh, and I now have a blog:http://knittnlissa.typepad.com/knittnlissa/
Go to Top of Page

loral56
Chatty Knitter

USA
314 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2005 :  9:24:44 PM  Show Profile Send loral56 a Private Message
Lissa, I bought some yarn on a cone from e-bay and didn't know what I was doing. It said it was 2ply wool...well, it is but it is so little that even if twisted again, I think it will still be too little for even lace knitting when doubled. It is really fine. I guess it was a good lesson because I didn't understand about weight and plies, etc. I won't be making that mistake again. However, if I could twist it again with a somewhat thicker yarn, it would have been usable and pretty.

Oh, well, I guess I'll figure something else out...I'll find some way to use that yarn.

Lora
Go to Top of Page

jaymeKnits
Permanent Resident

USA
1353 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2005 :  07:33:22 AM  Show Profile  Send jaymeKnits a Yahoo! Message Send jaymeKnits a Private Message
If you want to use it with a thicker yarn you still don't really need to twist it again. Just hold them together. If you really do want to twist them I would use my wheel. I'd over twist it first in the direction it is plied and then ply them together. If you don't have a wheel ask a friend who does to help.

Jayme
Go to Top of Page

Lissa
Permanent Resident

USA
4942 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2005 :  07:34:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit Lissa's Homepage Send Lissa a Private Message
Coned yarn is often compressed, and can end up twice the size when washed, so make a tiny hank with a few yards, wash it and let it dry, THEN see what size it is. You can still double, triple or quadruple the yarn. Wind it of onto two, three or four balls, and simply knit with the two or three strands held together. In the U.S., the number of plies is meaningless when trying to decipher how thick a yarn is. Most coned yarn is described as a fraction: 3/42. There are charts online that tell you what that means - I've never been able to figure that out. Also, wraps per inch is very helpful - there are also charts online that tell you how to translate that. YPP, or yards per pound is also a good way to tell, again, charts. Don't give up - this can be a great learning experience for you!

Lissa

Go to Top of Page

loral56
Chatty Knitter

USA
314 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2005 :  09:37:05 AM  Show Profile Send loral56 a Private Message
I don't have a wheel nor do I know anyone that does but that would be a good idea.

The yarn was listed in fractions, I tried to compare to what I have here, which isn't much. I've really only been buying non-acrylic yarn for a short time. I am going to do a search for those charts Lissa, and I can wind several balls off the cone. I will do a swatch to see what happens with that, that's a good idea. I was hoping to be able to use it to make the Trendsetter clogs for Christmas and thought it would be great for the bottoms and then put some bright pretty colors with it for the trim on top.

I'll have to do some more research and working with it...which is fun too.

Thanks for giving me a direction to start.

Lora

Go to Top of Page

Lissa
Permanent Resident

USA
4942 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2005 :  11:19:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit Lissa's Homepage Send Lissa a Private Message
Please let us know what you find out - enquiring minds want to know!

Glad to help.

Lissa

Go to Top of Page

Hulagirl
Chatty Knitter

174 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2005 :  11:11:48 AM  Show Profile Send Hulagirl a Private Message
I do have one of these. Personally I really like it....I do a LOT of knitting with different weights/yarns, combos, etc. and Yes it does
twists, as the instructions indicate. Of course, it is simpler to just knit with all the different strands but I'd rather have everything together instead of all these strands 'hanging' and then
having to twist every so many stitches.
Go to Top of Page

loral56
Chatty Knitter

USA
314 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2005 :  11:39:49 AM  Show Profile Send loral56 a Private Message
mmr49, I am so glad to hear that because I just bought one and for less that I thought. Now I am really excited and can't wait for it to get here. I got a big cone of 70% mohair and 30% nylon that I want to use with other yarns and it is really so fine that even if I double it, it would still be too fine.

Thank you for your response.

Lora
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.61 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.