Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Forum Feedback and Suggestion Box
 yarn stores
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

butterflygirl13
Warming Up

78 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2005 :  09:48:56 AM  Show Profile Send butterflygirl13 a Private Message
I've often thought that there should be a category for people looking for yarn stores in a specific area. Everytime I post a question on this topic I have to decide where I want to put it. Either seeking nearby knitters or Guild info or Favorite Shops. I often wonder which category will have the most people look and respond.

jaymeKnits
Permanent Resident

USA
1346 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2005 :  12:04:50 PM  Show Profile  Send jaymeKnits a Yahoo! Message Send jaymeKnits a Private Message
Better yet, why not a permanent list by state in the magazine area.

Jayme
Go to Top of Page

Lissa
Permanent Resident

USA
4942 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2005 :  1:18:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit Lissa's Homepage Send Lissa a Private Message
I believe that Interweave Knits has that on their site - no need to duplicate effort!

Lissa

During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a
revolutionary act. -- George Orwell

Oh, and I now have a blog:http://knittnlissa.typepad.com/knittnlissa/
Go to Top of Page

butterflygirl13
Warming Up

78 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2005 :  1:54:06 PM  Show Profile Send butterflygirl13 a Private Message
I like hearing people's personal opinions of stores. It helps decide on which stores are worth visiting.

I can find yarn store listings by state in several locations. But it's hard to tell from these lists which ones are where in the state.

I wish there was one that you could type in a zip code and it would give you the stores within a certain radius.
Go to Top of Page

jaymeKnits
Permanent Resident

USA
1346 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2005 :  2:00:13 PM  Show Profile  Send jaymeKnits a Yahoo! Message Send jaymeKnits a Private Message
Interweave never updates theirs. They have stores listed that have been gone for 2 years or more.

Jayme
Go to Top of Page

KD in FLA :)
Chatty Knitter

257 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2005 :  2:36:20 PM  Show Profile Send KD in FLA :) a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by jaymeKnits

Interweave never updates theirs. They have stores listed that have been gone for 2 years or more.

They don't reverify the shops, but they *do* update if someone lets them know of a change. I've sent them new shop info as well as deceased shop info, and the site has been updated quickly.

I've had my differences with IK, especially with their subscription services (or lack thereof). But I can't fault them on this.

Kathleen
Go to Top of Page

jaymeKnits
Permanent Resident

USA
1346 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2005 :  2:48:24 PM  Show Profile  Send jaymeKnits a Yahoo! Message Send jaymeKnits a Private Message
I've notified them twice of new or closed stores and never recieved a response and they never updated it.

Jayme
Go to Top of Page

KnittingCommuter
Chatty Knitter

USA
278 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2005 :  2:16:19 PM  Show Profile Send KnittingCommuter a Private Message
I like the idea of knowing which are "good" shops. Some LYS are so helpful and being a beginner I have lots of little questions. Other shops don't seem to want to be bothered once they have sold you the yarn. We have a new one in Wakefield, MA, and it is absolutely terrefic. Owned and staffed by great people.

Ducky's Mom
Go to Top of Page

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2005 :  2:31:07 PM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message
I would prefer a list here because I never go to the IK site.

"An injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Martin Luther King Jr.
www.femiknits.blog-city.com
Go to Top of Page

Sabrina
Chatty Knitter

USA
341 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2005 :  4:40:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit Sabrina's Homepage Send Sabrina a Private Message
I was under the impression that Interweave only lists those stores who carry their magazine.
Go to Top of Page

The Irish Ewe
Permanent Resident

USA
1052 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2005 :  07:04:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit The Irish Ewe's Homepage Send The Irish Ewe a Private Message
There are lots of lists all over, and I heard that about site has reviews of shop (I never go there though, all those pop-ups make me grind my teeth and spit. As I'm not a llama, spitting isn't accetable.)

Maybe it could be a feature, like the yarn reviews? With a chance for others to leave their comments too?

Of course, being a shop owner, I would also suggest (beg) that there be a way to discourage or remove ranting posts that are revenge based or just plain mean. Just cause I've got PMS doesn't mean I don't love you all :) Seriously, there are some odd people out there who may think they will get more business if they post about how horrible everyone else is. Not that it wuld even happen (even though it has, and does, sigh)

The Irish Ewe
Norway, Maine
http://www.TheIrishEwe.com
Go to Top of Page

knittinggal
Chatty Knitter

USA
296 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2005 :  07:26:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit knittinggal's Homepage Send knittinggal a Private Message
I have written reviews of stores for about.com site. I really like reading the reviews others have written. Even if I had a less than "welcome" visit to a store I will not trash the store. I try to notice if the shop employee is extremely busy or whatever. So far, I've never had one be rude.

Kay
Go to Top of Page

lemons
Permanent Resident

1692 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2005 :  07:52:10 AM  Show Profile Send lemons a Private Message
If we could start one ourselves on here, I volunteer to do the Greater St. Louis area ones. Anyone else up for this?

lemons of missouri
Go to Top of Page

knittinggal
Chatty Knitter

USA
296 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2005 :  09:02:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit knittinggal's Homepage Send knittinggal a Private Message
I would be glad to contribute for Oklahoma City and possibly Tulsa.

Kay
Go to Top of Page

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2005 :  09:34:23 AM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message
I'll contribute for the Toronto shops I frequent.

"An injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Martin Luther King Jr.
www.femiknits.blog-city.com
Go to Top of Page

The Irish Ewe
Permanent Resident

USA
1052 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2005 :  2:47:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit The Irish Ewe's Homepage Send The Irish Ewe a Private Message
I can do Maine shops, just not my own... And some in New Hampshire and Cape Cod as well.

The Irish Ewe
Norway, Maine
http://www.TheIrishEwe.com
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.55 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by