Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Celebrating Texas fiber producers
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Shop Talk
 Shop owners and aspiring businesspeople
 How to go about finding wholesale sources?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

kdcrowley
Permanent Resident

USA
4773 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2005 :  1:20:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit kdcrowley's Homepage Send kdcrowley a Private Message
I am looking at a small fiber biz, but am wondering how folks went about locating wholesale sources for fiber?

Kelley

Everywhere you go, there you are! Imagine that....

The Irish Ewe
Permanent Resident

USA
1052 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2005 :  2:59:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit The Irish Ewe's Homepage Send The Irish Ewe a Private Message
Fiber, as in rovings to spin with? Check the ads in Spin-Off for those, and talk to any and all local fiber farms... who sells good stuff, who has the best mills, all that will come in handy.

If you meant fiber as in yarn, just open any knitting magazines. The yarn companies all seem to have a website these days, and a quick call will send out the reps in droves!

The Irish Ewe
Norway, Maine
http://www.TheIrishEwe.com
Go to Top of Page

kdcrowley
Permanent Resident

USA
4773 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2005 :  4:50:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit kdcrowley's Homepage Send kdcrowley a Private Message
Thanks, the answer is both, reallly.

Kelley

Everywhere you go, there you are! Imagine that....
Go to Top of Page

tortadetortuga
New Pal

47 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2005 :  7:34:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit tortadetortuga's Homepage Send tortadetortuga a Private Message
I went after the companies whose stuff I loved the most; there are cheaper sources of fiber than Louet, but since I have found their fibers to be consistent and well prepared I felt it was worth the cost. Since my business is a very small venture, I am having to wait on starting accounts with my other dream suppliers, but I thought Louet was a good one to start with because of their wide range of supplies and I really love their fibers.

I really like Irish Ewe's local sources idea, because it is a great business practice to support your local fellow fiber enthusiasts--good marketing, good networking, good karma. I'm hoping to do something similar once I can afford it.

http://spaazlicious.com
http://lanasdelibelula.com
Go to Top of Page

Lissa
Permanent Resident

USA
4942 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2005 :  08:58:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit Lissa's Homepage Send Lissa a Private Message
Actually, that was me....LOL

Lissa

During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a
revolutionary act. -- George Orwell

Oh, and I now have a blog:http://knittnlissa.typepad.com/knittnlissa/
Go to Top of Page

risingfawnfiber
New Pal

USA
22 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2005 :  10:05:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit risingfawnfiber's Homepage Send risingfawnfiber a Private Message
I prefer to support the smaller, family owned companies when possible. They are usually easier to get set up with. If you want local sources for natural fibers check with www.sheepusa.org or your states "Sheep Breeders Association". Also search around on Google and you'll find a few yarn mills still in business.
I also look for the nearest suppliers, due to the high cost of shipping and delay in shipping times. It takes 2 -3 weeks to ship to GA from the west coast. If I can find a supplier east of the Mississippi, that time is cut in half.

Bea
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.53 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?