Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: An Irish twist on yarn from Black Water Abbey
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Reader's Corner
 Talk about books reviewed in Knitter's Review
 Children's Books
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2005 :  7:49:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message
I have to admit I'm on a bit of a kick right now buying sheep & knitting themed children's books. They add such whimsy and fun, and are the truest "mini-escape" you can get.

I have both of these books (http://knittersreview.com/article_book.asp?article=/review/reading/051027_a.asp) and they are both so darling!

If I had a little one, Farmer Brown would be read in the morning - it is bright, and cheery, and fun. The Symphony would be evening reading - it is peaceful, and soothing, nearly hypnotic in its rhythm.

Both are terrific.

"Choose your friends by their character and your socks by their color. Choosing your socks by their character makes no sense, and choosing your friends by their color is unthinkable."
http://RoseByAny.BlogSpot.Com

blwinteler
Permanent Resident

USA
3145 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2005 :  7:57:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit blwinteler's Homepage  Send blwinteler a Yahoo! Message Send blwinteler a Private Message
Those look great. I have just requested them at my library.

Take care!
Brandy

My finished projects

We are but 8 score young blondes and brunettes... all between 16 and 19-and-a-half... cut off in this castle with no one to protect us! Oh... it is a lonely life. Bathing... dressing... undressing... knitting exciting underwear ....(Monty Python and the Holy Grail, Tale of Sir Galahad)
Go to Top of Page

mbrazz
Warming Up

USA
83 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2005 :  08:47:20 AM  Show Profile Send mbrazz a Private Message
My favorite children's book is Charlie Needs a Cloak by Tomi dePaulo. I borrowed it from the library and my 5 yo loved it so much I had to buy it. It goes through the whole process of shearing to wearing and Charlie is followed everywhere by one naughtly sheep that keeps trying to find a way to either keep his fleece or get it back.

Peggy in OH
Go to Top of Page

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2005 :  08:52:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message
Oh, I LOVE Tomie DePaola! His work is so beautiful - The Clown of God and Strega Nona are longtime favorites (even though neither is sheep-related) but all of his work is just amazing...

"Choose your friends by their character and your socks by their color. Choosing your socks by their character makes no sense, and choosing your friends by their color is unthinkable."
Go to Top of Page

RachelKnitter
Permanent Resident

USA
2995 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2005 :  09:02:39 AM  Show Profile Send RachelKnitter a Private Message
Charles Fuge. Anything illustrated by him. He makes me giggle hysterically and make me want to curl into the fetal position and suck my thumb. So. Cute. Especially the Wombat. Ohmygod, the Wombat.

--------
You are about to be told one more time that you are America’s most valuable natural resource. Have you seen what they do to valuable natural resources? -Utah Phillips, addressing a group of young people
Go to Top of Page

KathyR
Permanent Resident

New Zealand
2969 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2005 :  2:24:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit KathyR's Homepage Send KathyR a Private Message
If you can find it try the Australian book "Pete the Sheep" by Jackie French (illustrated by Bruce Whatley, published by Angus & Robertson am imprint of HarperCollins Publishers). I bought it for my DGD but I don't know if I want to part with it! It is absolutely hilarious!

KathyR

Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
Go to Top of Page

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2005 :  2:26:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message
I bought that one a few weeks ago - it's on Amazon, and I got it in a Borders. It is really great!

It's actually called "Pete the Sheep-Sheep"

Go to Top of Page

blwinteler
Permanent Resident

USA
3145 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2005 :  2:30:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit blwinteler's Homepage  Send blwinteler a Yahoo! Message Send blwinteler a Private Message
My library doesn't have Pete the Sheep Sheep. Too bad. It looks really cute.

Take care!
Brandy

My finished projects

We are but 8 score young blondes and brunettes... all between 16 and 19-and-a-half... cut off in this castle with no one to protect us! Oh... it is a lonely life. Bathing... dressing... undressing... knitting exciting underwear ....(Monty Python and the Holy Grail, Tale of Sir Galahad)
Go to Top of Page

KathyR
Permanent Resident

New Zealand
2969 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2005 :  4:38:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit KathyR's Homepage Send KathyR a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by RoseByAny

I bought that one a few weeks ago - it's on Amazon, and I got it in a Borders. It is really great!

It's actually called "Pete the Sheep-Sheep"

They changed the name! I checked the copy I have, then looked it up on Amazon. Sure enough, on Amazon it is Pete the Sheep-Sheep and my book says Pete the Sheep! There must be a different cover printed for different parts of the world. I wonder why that is? Thinking about it this is not the first time I have come across this happening. It isn't as if Americans speak a different language!

As a matter of interest Jackie French has written another book recently - They Came on Viking Ships. There was a short critique of it, written by an 11 year old, in the local newspaper today. The young girl said it was her new favourite book! High praise indeed!

KathyR

Go to Top of Page

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2005 :  4:45:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message
Funny - I wonder if anything inside changed? When I got the book, someone commented on my blog that Shaun was supposed to have a blue singlet. He wears white in my book (blue shorts) and the other shearers wear blue (brown shorts)

Go to Top of Page

KathyR
Permanent Resident

New Zealand
2969 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2005 :  1:30:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit KathyR's Homepage Send KathyR a Private Message
I had to look! Shaun wears a white singlet with blue shorts in my book too.

KathyR

Go to Top of Page

NastiJ
Permanent Resident

1288 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2005 :  12:39:31 PM  Show Profile Send NastiJ a Private Message
I found a copy of "Knitted by Grandma" by Ruth Hearson at Tuesday Morning for $3.99, and my 2-year old Granddaughter loves it. It is an activity book - i.e., pop-ups, tabs to pull to make Grandma's needles move, etc. Plus, at the end it has a pattern for a cute hat with earflaps. It is available from Amazon and from several knitting-related websites like Patternworks (not at that price though) and I highly recommend it.

[img]http://www.patternworks.com/PWShopping/IMAGES/parts/100454.JPG[/img]
quote:
Click-clack. Grandma is always knitting, even when she comes to visit. With her nonstop knitting needles, she creates the wildest things: woolly wigs, penguin pullovers, heaps of hats, and even cardigans fit for a queen! By the time her week-long visit is over, everyone will have something Knitted by Grandma... even you!

This book is filled with lots of things to pull, open and turn that make the book come alive.

Nancy J.

"Learning how to knit was a snap.It was learning how to stop that nearly destroyed me." Erma Bombeck
Go to Top of Page

Chayah
Permanent Resident

1926 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2005 :  1:07:20 PM  Show Profile Send Chayah a Private Message
Does anyone remember __Pelle's New Suit__?You would have to be "of a certain age". I had this book as a child and loved it. It's about a boy in Sweden or Norway who goes from the sheep farmer on up through the tailor till he gets his new suit. If you can locate a copy I am sure you would enjoy it. Sorry I don't have mine anymore.
Chayah in NY
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.72 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?