Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Reader's Corner
 What are you reading now?
 Literary Knitters
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

azbecky
New Pal

1 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2003 :  12:36:09 PM  Show Profile Send azbecky a Private Message
I believe that Helen of Troy knitted. Didn't she knit each day and then un-knit it at night to keep her suitors away?
Go to Top of Page

lwjewell
New Pal

2 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2003 :  1:47:52 PM  Show Profile Send lwjewell a Private Message
Dorothy Sayers' detective, Lord Peter Wimsey, had a sister who knitted in Murder Must Advertise. I believe it was Penelope, wife of Odysseus, who unravelled her weaving every night.

Go to Top of Page

annm
New Pal

2 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2003 :  1:03:05 PM  Show Profile Send annm a Private Message
quote:

I'm sure there must be someone knitting in Little Women, or in the Little House on the Prairie books, and even, perhaps, in Jane Austen?

-- Marg in Calgary

TLWKOTB

I definitely remember Jo in Little Women knitting. It was either a pair of socks or a sweater. What stuck in my mind was that either the socks didn't match or one sleeve was much longer than the other. Just something that always struck me as funny. Of course, that was before I started knitting.

Ann
Go to Top of Page

katxena
Chatty Knitter

USA
330 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2003 :  2:29:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit katxena's Homepage Send katxena a Private Message
Last week, I wrote:
quote:

I don't recall any Jane Austen characters who knit, and I would be really surprised if any of them were knitters. They were all gentry and I think knitting had not become a leisure activity yet (like embroidery or quilling had). 18th century knitters would have been in the lower classes knitting for their livelihoods -- not elite women trying to become "accomplished" enough to win the attentions of a rich man.

I was wrong about that. Some members of Jane Austen's family were knitters. In this letter to her sister Cassandra, JA mentions that their mother enjoys glove-knitting:
http://www.pemberley.com/janeinfo/auslet22.html#letter126

According to the Jane Austen Society of Australia, JA did not knit (possibly because she associated it with old ladies!):
http://www.jasa.net.au/newsdc98.htm

Knitting gets a few mentions in JA novels. In Emma Mrs. Bates (Miss Bates' mother) knits during several of Emma's visits. In Persuasion, several characters knit for charity and as a passtime.

I'm sorry for my error last week --

Kris
http://www.papaya-palace.com
Go to Top of Page

Hello Knitty
Permanent Resident

1069 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2003 :  3:26:33 PM  Show Profile Send Hello Knitty a Private Message
Helen of Troy didn't knit. You're thinking of Penelope, Odysseus's wife. Some historians think she may have knit because she unravelled her "work" every night. If she was weaving, which other historians say she was, she couldn't easily unravel her work each night.

Penelope waited years and years for Odysseus's return and to keep suitors away, she said she she couldn't remarry until her work was done! I don't think it was ever made clear exactly what her work was.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.5 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?