Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Knitter's Review Retreat details and Sheepshow
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Yarn Talk
 Never Again!
 Cotton
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

LittleMousling
Permanent Resident

USA
1093 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2005 :  2:38:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit LittleMousling's Homepage Send LittleMousling a Private Message
You know how non-knitters sometimes ask "Why would you spend all that money and time when you could buy a (sweater, hat, pair of socks, etc) for much less?"

There's one area in which I agree with them: cotton.

For me, life is just too short to knit with yarn that hurts my hands, isn't warm, in which garments are widely available and cheap, etc.

Does it show stitches absolutely beautifully? Sure. Is it useful for summer knits? Sure. Is it typically a good value and available in a range of weights and colors? No doubt about it.

But, it's just not at all worth it to me to make so much as a dishcloth.

Am I the only one?

-Molly, obsessive but not exclusive socknitter
Stash photos and some FOs

The Irish Ewe
Permanent Resident

USA
1052 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2005 :  4:55:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit The Irish Ewe's Homepage Send The Irish Ewe a Private Message
But not all cotton is like that - blends, or even just a nicely processed, quality cotton will have a soft hand, will drape wonderfully, and is very easy to knit with. You just need to move past some of the "old fashioned" cottons, which I agree on, don't have any ease in them at all!

The Irish Ewe
Norway, Maine
http://www.TheIrishEwe.com
Go to Top of Page

NaProus
Permanent Resident

1828 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2005 :  5:33:18 PM  Show Profile Send NaProus a Private Message
Well, about 10 years ago, I wanted a "summer sweater" to match the angora sweater that I loved and wore constantly in winter. So I picked out a lace stitch (traveling vine), bought some simple black cotton, and winged it! It's still beautiful, I still wear it, and I don't regret it at all. I love cotton.

I have friends who agree with you, but I guess I don't!

What's a leper bandage? http://www.bevscountrycottage.com/bandages.html
http://www.ghm.org/resources/knitted.htm
Go to Top of Page

franna724
Seriously Hooked

USA
633 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2005 :  06:00:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit franna724's Homepage Send franna724 a Private Message
I made my daughter two summer shirts of out cotton yarn--one out of Bernat Cotton Tots and one out of Lion Cotton. I enjoyed knitting them, and after a season of wear by a 5 year old, I think they held up better than any store-bought shirt she's ever had.

Anna
Go to Top of Page

kekokat
Seriously Hooked

USA
845 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2005 :  06:39:03 AM  Show Profile Send kekokat a Private Message
I don't particularly care to knit with cotton either. However, as noted, not all cottons are created equal, processed equally, or dyed equally. I do like mercerized gassed cotton, and the bulkier more natural looking cottons, or the undyed organics. I do not care for a cotton sweater much tho. Too heavy and not warm. Like all things knitting, we all like what we like, and dislike what we dislike. Each to his/her own. kekokat
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

11 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2005 :  07:25:16 AM  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
I like using Butterfly cotton (from Kertzer). They have a zillion colors and it really knits up beautifully and has a wonderful feel and texture to it. Not only that, it has a lot of yardage so you are not tying/weaving a lot of ends in. It can be machine washed and dried and I have found that it does not stretch out of shape or grow like some other cottons tend to do. So get some Butterfly cotton and have some fun!
Go to Top of Page

Trina
Permanent Resident

USA
1871 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2005 :  11:15:15 AM  Show Profile Send Trina a Private Message
I have to agree with Suzie. My DH bought me a number of skeins of Butterfly for Christmas last year & I just love it. The colors are fantastic & it's very nice to knit with. Perhaps you just need to find the right cotton for you!

Hold fast to dreams
For if dreams die
Life is a broken-winged bird that cannot fly.
-Langston Hughes
Go to Top of Page

booglass
Permanent Resident

Costa Rica
1987 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2005 :  11:48:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit booglass's Homepage Send booglass a Private Message
I currently live in Phoenix and am moving to Costa Rica, cotton and cotton blend yarns are my friend. Brown Sheep's Cotton Fleece (80%Cotton/20%Wool) is terrific and it wears great. I just started a project with Knitpicks Shine (80%Cotton/20%Modal) and it promises to be a lovely yarn to work with.

Berroco (70%MercCotton/30%Rayon) is the devil! It is splitty and snags on everything but the colors are gorgeous. The other cotton yarn is the Tahki Cotton Classic. It knits up wonderfully but it feels rough to me after a while.

Although this wasn't about garments, I thought I'd mention it since I can't be the only knitter in this boat.

bonnie

Check out my blog:
http://www.booglass.typepad.com
Go to Top of Page

Karknit
Seriously Hooked

USA
711 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2005 :  08:38:16 AM  Show Profile Send Karknit a Private Message
I learned to knit with sugar and cream cotton, because I didn't know any better at the time.
Made a few dishcloths and quiclky went on to socks.
One thing I learnd was tension and gauge, now knitting with wool is much easier.
I agree cotton is only good for dishcloths.
I have 3 skeins of cotton ease and I dont know what to do with it.

karknit

My diet incentive, to knit smaller sweaters.
Go to Top of Page

trekcelt
Seriously Hooked

USA
849 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2005 :  09:54:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit trekcelt's Homepage Send trekcelt a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Karknit

I have 3 skeins of cotton ease and I dont know what to do with it.
You could destash to me. ;o)

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

FO: 33, WIP: 2
trek's blog

"As for me and my house..."
Go to Top of Page

Karknit
Seriously Hooked

USA
711 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2005 :  1:56:30 PM  Show Profile Send Karknit a Private Message
I knew you would say that trekcelt.

karknit

My diet incentive, to knit smaller sweaters.
Go to Top of Page

kimkrafty
Permanent Resident

USA
2145 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2005 :  9:23:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit kimkrafty's Homepage Send kimkrafty a Private Message
I love cotton yarns. As a matter of fact, I frequently buy cotton and silk sweaters.

The cotton yarn designed for knitting dishcloths is not something I would likely use for a garment but, as others have said, there is quite a variety of good cotton yarns.

Recently, there were a couple of discussions on cotton yarn. There were suggestions for yarns and a few links as to where one could acquire them.

However, if you don't like cotton at all, there's nothing wrong with that. There's plenty of choices for all of us!

Kimberly, knitting in VA
http://kimberlyskorner.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Yarn Delirious
Seriously Hooked

USA
777 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2005 :  05:07:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit Yarn Delirious's Homepage Send Yarn Delirious a Private Message
I love the Manos cotton - for sweaters/shells,etc. The colors are wonderful, it is so soft, and such a lovely hand. I have used Wildflower cotton (blend) for a few summer shells also - is a different feel, but held up quite well to wear and washings.

One of a few items I knit up over the Thanksgiving holiday in NH, was a purse for my 6 yr old niece. She had had a skein of cotton from Walmart that she wanted me to use for that. (The label was long gone from when we purchased it in the summer) It was quite stiff, and took some tugging to seam it up, and I don't expect it to last long with all the stuff she shoved in there. But, that cotton seems like it would make a good dishcloth.

Yarn Delirious blog
Go to Top of Page

mamacita
Chatty Knitter

USA
155 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2005 :  10:56:49 AM  Show Profile Send mamacita a Private Message
I have not knit with cotton yet but would like to make an afghan out of a cotton blend. I just don't like the way the wool feels on one I started using Plymouth by Reynolds. A bit scratchy and much too light. Although I heard that a 100% cotton is much too heavy for a large blanket. Since I will need alot of yardage is there a cotton blend you have worked with that washes well, is soft and will not cost me an arm and leg to buy?
Cheryl :)
Go to Top of Page

NCmusiclady
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
541 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2005 :  08:35:39 AM  Show Profile Send NCmusiclady a Private Message
I'm a cotton lover as well. The Cotton-ease will knit up the BEST tank top you will ever own. I'm so sorry they discontinued it. I'm crocheting a sweater for my Mom in it (I'm a new knitter, so the crocheting right now is quicker and a bit easier still).

I'm making lots and lots of cotton items for Christmas - I love the way it feels on my hands. But I guess that's because I buy SOFT cotton.

I also love the Crystal Palace Yarns Cotton Chenille - makes GREAT face/washcloths.

I have a friend who someone made a wonderful "baby" washcloth for her out of great, soft cotton and the kid is now in college and still uses it. Cotton is the BEST - can't wear it out. And yes, I've seen that now face cloth - it looks brand new - couldn't believe it was 19 years old!
Go to Top of Page

pqpatch
Seriously Hooked

USA
617 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2005 :  5:24:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit pqpatch's Homepage Send pqpatch a Private Message
Most of the time I would disgree. I have made some really nice cotton sweaters. However, I have tried to use Island Cotton and ended up pulling the project apart and rolling that nasty stuff into a ball where it remains to this day. It was just to nubby in places. If anyone would want it, I would be glad to get it off my hands. And this stuff wasn't cheap either.
Go to Top of Page

kdavies
Warming Up

USA
60 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2005 :  6:59:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit kdavies's Homepage  Send kdavies a Yahoo! Message Send kdavies a Private Message
I agree with the comments on Knitpicks Shine...I adore it! It's drape is beautiful.

Kathy
http://homepage.mac.com/kdavies/knittingnoodles.html

The Lord says: "Get ready to be Amazed, for I will do great things; you would not believe them if you were told." Habakkuk 1:5
Go to Top of Page

mamacita
Chatty Knitter

USA
155 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2005 :  07:39:32 AM  Show Profile Send mamacita a Private Message
Would you recommend the Knit Picks Shine for an afghan? The price is so right and it is washable.
Cheryl
Go to Top of Page

queenmaxine
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
472 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2005 :  07:53:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit queenmaxine's Homepage Send queenmaxine a Private Message
I have used the Brown Sheep and the Butterfly, loved them both. I am working my way toward feeling worthy of enough Manos or Arucania (Patagonia?) cotton to make a sweater. I lust after them every trip to the LYS.

OK, I honestly feel worthy but need to allow the $$ stash to bulk up for it and I need to have a pattern in mind first. But I lust for it just the same.

My blog is not strictly knitting, but there are occasional WIP updates and frustration or bragging rants as I am a new knitter.

www.nolanoni.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

rebeccaL
Seriously Hooked

721 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2005 :  7:34:42 PM  Show Profile Send rebeccaL a Private Message
I like the Knit Picks Shine, although it's very drapey. It might be nice for an afghan, it's very very soft. I used it for my domino project.

Rebecca

-------------------------------
Visit my blog at
http://www.spacesheep.com/Fiber/knitblog.html
Go to Top of Page

mamacita
Chatty Knitter

USA
155 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2005 :  08:59:32 AM  Show Profile Send mamacita a Private Message
Rebecca,

Thanks for replying. The KnitPicks looks so soft and comfy. But I think I just might give the Pakucho Organic Cotton a try. KimKrafty just directed me to their website and the colors are exactly what I was looking for. The earthy tones should work well in my family room. All the reviews I have checked out also rate it as a great choice. I definitely want to try the KnitPicks Shine for another project though very soon. But I think the Pakucho will work out better for my afghan.

Cheryl
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.7 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.