Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A true British yarn from Erika Knight
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Reader's Corner
 What are you reading now?
 Book for Cat Lovers and Knitters
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2003 :  10:35:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message
I came across this book on Amazon and ordered it on a bit of a whim, thinking it might provide me with a few new ideas, and lo-and-behold, the author is a knitter! http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0882404156/002-6446193-9226450

In the introduction, she mentions leaving her husband, packing up her knitting needles and her cats, and several of the toys include mentions of knitting yarn or needles as tools. At least one toy is even knit!

It looks like a cute book, and I'm looking forward to trying some of the toys (the sock-ness monster will be my first!)

"Choose your friends by their character and your socks by their color. Choosing your socks by their character makes no sense, and choosing your friends by their color is unthinkable."

marfa
Permanent Resident

USA
2015 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2003 :  4:32:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit marfa's Homepage Send marfa a Private Message
How do.
Amie, thanks for the suggestion.
Have all your kitties taken to the little one you brought into your home in the fall? How has that gone for you & them?

Go to Top of Page

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2003 :  09:37:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message
Aren't you sweet for asking!

Aslan and Trevor are like brothers already - they still quibble occasionally, but are just as likely to curl up near each other and snuggle or play. They share toys and are just as thick as theives.

Misha (my eldest) is still a little bitter about Trevor's arrival three years ago, let alone a new boy, but Trevor is kept busy by newby Aslan that she doesn't mind him so much. She just doesn't want to join in.

"Choose your friends by their character and your socks by their color. Choosing your socks by their character makes no sense, and choosing your friends by their color is unthinkable."
Go to Top of Page

marfa
Permanent Resident

USA
2015 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2003 :  3:41:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit marfa's Homepage Send marfa a Private Message
How do.
Amie, thanks for the manly men update. A little male bonding is a good thing & it sounds as though that's a good thing for the Queen of your kitties. Way to go, girlfriend, for giving Aslan a terrific & loving home. By the way, what does his name mean? It's a lovely word. Hugs to you & the kitties!

Go to Top of Page

onestitchshort
Chatty Knitter

USA
106 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2003 :  8:30:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit onestitchshort's Homepage Send onestitchshort a Private Message
I love the name Aslan! Did you take it from the Chronicles of Narnia? I adore those books! Thanks for the book suggestion!
-s

Go to Top of Page

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2003 :  08:47:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message
First of all, each of my kitties had a naming ceremony like the one in Roots - They were each the first to hear their own names, whispered with love three times in a private moment before being introduced to the rest of the world.

Misha is a beautiful calico, who is named after Mikhail Baryshnikov, because her front feet turn out like a dancer. You nailed it when you said she was a queen. She's also a big time Momma's girl, and just barely tolerates the other people in the world. I don't think my fiance believes me when I tell him he's very lucky she likes him - a negative from Misha means you don't fit in my life. She's my most precious little fur angel.

Trevor is a mischeivous grey tabby, named after a little boy in a movie theatre the day I met him (the kitten) - I never saw or heard the boy, but heard his guardian telling him to behave, be quiet and sit down for the ENTIRE movie. The cat is a little Cassanova, and a prankster. Smart as a whip, and I was told he was a very large dog in a past life (if you believe in that) - and I've never met anyone who met this little guy's personality and said that assessment of him didn't fit!

And yes, Aslan is named after the Chronicles of Narnia, an all time favorite series of mine. CS Lewis's lion Aslan was a subtle allegory for Christ in the books, which are wonderful and not too blatent. A lovely long haired orange tabby, my Aslan literally showed up on my doorstep this Thanksgiving, just skin and bones. During the adoption process I was trying to decide between the name Aslan, and the name Dickens (as in Charles Dickens of A Christmas Carol) When I took him to the Humane Society for his paperwork and vet stuff (long complicated story) all three women individually said "He looks like a little lion!" Clinching the name. He is sensitive, sweet, regal and as peaceful as could possibly be, but can definitely hold his own against the other two in their rare fights, even though his former parents had him declawed! To quote CS Lewis about the original Aslan: "Safe? My goodness, no, he's not safe. But he's good."

My cats are so precious to me, truly my children, and I am honored that each of those special little souls let me share my life with them!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.47 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe