Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Photos and wisdom from the Knitter's Review Retreat
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Yarn Talk
 Talk about yarns reviewed in Knitter's Review
 Berkshire Valley Farm vs. KnitPicks Sierra
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

terpsfan
Warming Up

65 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2005 :  06:15:36 AM  Show Profile Send terpsfan a Private Message
This was a very timely review because I'm still trying to choose a yarn for a bulky weight sweater for my brother who lives in the mountains. I ordered a skein of Sierra from Knit Picks but am not crazy about the color. I wonder how these two yarns, both of which are very affordable, stack up against each other.

katywhumpus@gmail.com

Posted - 10/20/2005 :  07:09:16 AM  Show Profile Send katywhumpus@gmail.com a Private Message
First - a disclaimer: I actually live in Northampton and, not only is Webs my LYS, I also teach classes there.

I've used Berkshire on several projects lately and I love it. I'm actually wearing a lacey capelet type thing today I made from the worsted weight. It's lovely to work with and softer than Lamb's Pride (especially after washing and blocking). I also felted a bag a couple of evenings ago made from the bulky weight. It does take a bit longer than some other yarns to start felting, but the result is beautiful. Not too stiff and not too flimsy. After 2 15 minute trips through the agitation cycle on my washer it had felted up enough to make a nice solid fabric, with just a bit of stitch definition still showing (that's my preference when felting, but a few more minutes would make the stitch definition disappear).

And the colors are stunning.

Katy
Go to Top of Page

honeybee33
Warming Up

USA
74 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2005 :  1:21:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit honeybee33's Homepage Send honeybee33 a Private Message
Isn't Berkshire a single-ply, while Sierra is a multi-ply?

My Disclaimer: Tho I live in Boston, *I'm* a hopelessly obsessive fan of Knit Picks! LOL

~ hb33 ~
Go to Top of Page

terpsfan
Warming Up

65 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2005 :  2:26:38 PM  Show Profile Send terpsfan a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by honeybee33

Isn't Berkshire a single-ply, while Sierra is a multi-ply?

My Disclaimer: Tho I live in Boston, *I'm* a hopelessly obsessive fan of Knit Picks! LOL

~ hb33 ~

Honeybee,
There's also a Berkshire bulky that knits at 12sts = 4"--my pattern calls for 14sts=4" so I could knit a bulky yarn firmly or a heavy worsted loosely. I ordered a skein of Knit Picks Sierra and it seems like a nice yarn, but the color range isn't great so I'm still undecided. There's also Cascade Eco+ to consider. If I could swatch all of these I might see the light! Meanwhile, I'm doing a small shawl in a gorgeous hand-painted yarn from a small business called Claudia's. It's South African merino that is spun in such a way that it feels like silk.
Go to Top of Page

amber
Seriously Hooked

USA
758 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2005 :  11:43:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit amber's Homepage Send amber a Private Message
Cascade Eco+ is awesome but I'm getting closer to 4 st per inch than the 3.5 the labels says. And I can't imagine 3.5 st giving as nice of a fabric. But I am loving the yarn :)

-Amber

Current Projects and what not:
http://yarnjunkie.blogspot.com/
Finished Projects:
http://yarnjunkie2.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

elizh
Permanent Resident

USA
1248 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2005 :  1:30:57 PM  Show Profile Send elizh a Private Message
I'm making a sweater from Cascade Eco, and I love this yarn. What a bargain, and it's incredibly soft. I'm getting about 14 st on size 10-1/2's.
Go to Top of Page

KnittingCommuter
Chatty Knitter

USA
278 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2005 :  08:09:49 AM  Show Profile Send KnittingCommuter a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by amber

Cascade Eco+ is awesome but I'm getting closer to 4 st per inch than the 3.5 the labels says. And I can't imagine 3.5 st giving as nice of a fabric. But I am loving the yarn :)

-Amber

Current Projects and what not:
http://yarnjunkie.blogspot.com/
Finished Projects:
http://yarnjunkie2.blogspot.com/

Ducky's Mom
Go to Top of Page

KnittingCommuter
Chatty Knitter

USA
278 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2005 :  08:20:41 AM  Show Profile Send KnittingCommuter a Private Message
Sorry, I hit the wrong key earlier. I bought the Cascade Eco for a poncho I wanted to make. Pattern called for 15 sts = 4 inches using Blue Skye Alpaca Worsted which as I mentioned before is very expensive. However, the Cascade didn't look right when I finally got the gauge. Nice yarn just didn't work for the project. Still searching for a yarn that will work...

Ducky's Mom
Go to Top of Page

orangina
Seriously Hooked

821 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2005 :  11:13:34 AM  Show Profile Send orangina a Private Message
I called the WEBS number and gave them a free-sample code from their ad in Vogue Knitting. A few days later I had a free catalog with several really large yarn samples from their Valley yarn line. Impressive!
I'm sorry I don't have the code with me now, but it would be easy to find in one of their print ads.
Go to Top of Page

terpsfan
Warming Up

65 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2005 :  2:51:31 PM  Show Profile Send terpsfan a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by orangina

I called the WEBS number and gave them a free-sample code from their ad in Vogue Knitting. A few days later I had a free catalog with several really large yarn samples from their Valley yarn line. Impressive!
I'm sorry I don't have the code with me now, but it would be easy to find in one of their print ads.

I finally decide to use Eco +Color, the dyed version, because my LYS was willing to get it for me even though I didn't need a full bag (each skein is 250 grams, so 3 will do a sweater). It is incredibly soft. It looks a tad bit light at 14 sts = 4 inches, but I haven't washed the swatch yet. Based on the review, I'm guessing it will fill in just fine.
Go to Top of Page

agastier@aol.com
Chatty Knitter

143 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2005 :  4:46:07 PM  Show Profile Send agastier@aol.com a Private Message
I just sent Webs email and asked if they were sending out free samples on the newest yarns--it came in a few days--I had no codes. But I am still waiting for the catalogue--excellent bathtub reading, and it is starting to get cold here!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.59 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe