Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: An Irish twist on yarn from Black Water Abbey
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Spinner Central
 Spinning gadgets and accessories
 Skeinwinders: Floor or Table?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

apoo52
New Pal

4 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2005 :  3:13:49 PM  Show Profile Send apoo52 a Private Message
I'm thinking of getting a skeinwinder, but can't decide between the floor model or the table model. I'm dyeing yarn, so I need to wind on many yards for dyeing. Have you got a favorite?

thanks
april

Lissa
Permanent Resident

USA
4942 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2005 :  7:35:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit Lissa's Homepage Send Lissa a Private Message
I love my Fricke floor model.

Lissa

During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a
revolutionary act. -- George Orwell

Oh, and I now have a blog:http://knittnlissa.typepad.com/knittnlissa/
Go to Top of Page

BessH
Permanent Resident

3095 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2005 :  04:27:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit BessH's Homepage Send BessH a Private Message
If I had known there were floor models when I was angling for a swift ...

They really are beautiful.

Bess
http://likethequeen.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2005 :  04:49:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message
The problem with floor models is that you can't fold them up and hide them away easily.

The good thing about floor models is with looks like that, why would you want to?

The size you can wind will vary on the individual swift, but you can get table models that are just as accomodating as the floor models.

"Choose your friends by their character and your socks by their color. Choosing your socks by their character makes no sense, and choosing your friends by their color is unthinkable."
http://RoseByAny.BlogSpot.Com
Go to Top of Page

petiteflower
Chatty Knitter

USA
297 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2005 :  2:50:45 PM  Show Profile Send petiteflower a Private Message
I have a floor model skeinwinder. I like it a lot. I chose the floor model over the clamp-on-the-table model because: First, you can operate my floor model from a comfortably seated position, I am using a wheelchair to get around and a table model would have been impossible to reach. My floor model can also be set up on a table if you so wish. It is a very agreeable height. Second consideration is that anywhere you happen to be there is usually a floor! There isn't always a table. I can use my skeinwinder in any room I please or take it outdoors. It doesn't fold up but it doesn't take up much space and it's very pretty.

Keep in mind that a skeinwinder and a swift are two different things.
A swift is used primarily for UNwinding skeins and can be infinitely adjusted to accomodate any size skein up to whatever it's maximum circumference happens to be. Most swifts are not intended to also be skeinwinders unless they have a handle on the top. The table models are impossible to operate as skeinwinders from a seated position and even the floor models can be very awkward to use from a seated position when you are winding a long skein. You are going to have your working arm outstretched and be turning the handle. This is not possible for me and perhaps tiring for many people.

A skeinwinder is for winding yarn into skeins. Most skeinwinders are not intended to be used as swifts. A few skeinwinders do double as swifts but in order to accomplish this they need to be able to adjust to different-sized skeins in an infinite way, like a swift can. My skeinwinder doubles as a swift because the posts that hold the skein can slide up or down the arms of the skeinwinder and then are clamped in place by tightening a wing nut. It's really quite a simple gadget. I purchased it from Carolina Homespun (website is undoubtably carolinahomespun.com) and the maker's name is Will Taylor. I believe he lives nearby Carolina Homespun and perhaps this is the only place you can purchase it. Mine is walnut wood, is very well made, and was $75. I bought it for myself with birthday cash a couple of years ago.

It is nice to have both a swift and a skeinwinder (duh!). You can then take your wonderful and original multicolored hand-dyed skein of yarn, place it on your swift, and then wind it onto your skeinwinder into a slightly different-sized skein to mix up the colors, or to give your skein a final reskeining after washing so it will have the best presentation for selling or just for showing off.
Go to Top of Page

Suziehomemaker
Warming Up

USA
93 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2005 :  06:03:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit Suziehomemaker's Homepage Send Suziehomemaker a Private Message
Thanks for that explanation. I was wondering why someone would want both and that was very helpful. I just added both to my Christmas list!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.56 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe