Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Spinner Central
 Spinning Articles, Magazines, Books, and Links
 Best book for wheel spinning?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jaymeKnits
Permanent Resident

USA
1346 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2005 :  11:51:20 AM  Show Profile  Send jaymeKnits a Yahoo! Message Send jaymeKnits a Private Message
Now that I have my wheel and a lovely new addiction to go with it. Is there a really helpful book out there that details all the intricacies of spinning on a wheel? I don't even know exactly what intricacies I'm asking for here but just a general everything about spinning when spinning on a wheel type of book. A bonus would be a book that talks about wheel maintenance too.

Thanks,

Jayme

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2005 :  12:00:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message
Alden Amos= http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1883010888/qid=1129575619/sr=8-1/ref=pd_bbs_1/102-9286947-9704913?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

"Choose your friends by their character and your socks by their color. Choosing your socks by their character makes no sense, and choosing your friends by their color is unthinkable."
http://RoseByAny.BlogSpot.Com
Go to Top of Page

Lissa
Permanent Resident

USA
4942 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2005 :  12:27:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit Lissa's Homepage Send Lissa a Private Message
I'm someone who can't learn to do 3-dimensional things from a book. If you learn better in 3-D, I recommend Patsy Z's "Spinning: Basics and Beyond" videotape. Helped me tremendously. In fact, I have one. Would you like to borrow it tonight?

Lissa

During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a
revolutionary act. -- George Orwell

Oh, and I now have a blog:http://knittnlissa.typepad.com/knittnlissa/
Go to Top of Page

KathyR
Permanent Resident

New Zealand
2969 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2005 :  2:06:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit KathyR's Homepage Send KathyR a Private Message
Anne Field (who wrote a number of books for Ashford's) has written a really good book called Spinning Wool: Beyond the Basics. It explains several ways of spinning - worsted and woollen as well as semi-worsted and semi-woollen - as well as spinning bulky to fine yarn. It also has chapters on wool and the care of fleeces as well as chapters on understanding your wheel, drive ratios etc.

Another book Anne wrote was The Ashford Book of Spinning. It has a good section on wheel maintenance as well as chapters on spinning techniques, novelty yarns, dyeing and felting.

Both are really good books and I recommend either of them.

KathyR

Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
Go to Top of Page

RiverRock
Chatty Knitter

USA
283 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2005 :  5:08:37 PM  Show Profile Send RiverRock a Private Message
The best teaching book by far is Hands On Spinning by Lee Raven. She covers everything from learning about fibers and twist to drop spindles and wheels. It really is like a work shop with patterns in the back of things you can make with your hand spun. It also isn't very expensive.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.59 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe