Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Things we do Besides Knitting
 Recipe Swap
 Casseroles anyone?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Hickey007
New Pal

USA
31 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2005 :  07:35:14 AM  Show Profile Send Hickey007 a Private Message
We've got the crockpot recipes going, now where's the casseroles? I think its probably a sin that I live in the south and have never made a casserole. I'm really interested in a pretty simple chicken and rice if anyone has one, but would also love to hear others as well.

- Courtney

Momma78239
Permanent Resident

USA
4859 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2005 :  11:51:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit Momma78239's Homepage  Send Momma78239 a Yahoo! Message Send Momma78239 a Private Message
Here's one of the worlds easiest Casseroles:

Enchilada Casserole
1 small onion, chopped
1 14-oz can refried beans
1 14-oz can tomato sauce
1 14-oz can Bush's Chili starter
16 oz. sour cream
16 oz. sharp cheddar, shredded
1 bag Vegetarian Ground beef substitute (I use Morningstar Farms Veggie Crumbles. If you're not vegetarian, you can substitute a pound of ground meat)
6-10 corn tortillas (red or yellow are fine)

Chop the onion and put it in a big bowl. Add the refried beans, tomato sauce, chili starter, sour cream, and veggie meat, and stir it all together well. Tear the tortillas into bite sized pieces (they're easy to tear - you can rip the whole stack at once), add them to the bowl along with half the cheese. Mix it up again.

Put into a 10x15 baking dish or TWO 9x13 dishes (yup, this recipe makes a LOT). Top with the remaining cheese. Cover with foil and bake at 350F for 30 minutes. Remove the foil and place under broiler for 2 minutes to brown the cheese.

-WendyM
And all the women that were wise hearted did spin with their hands, and brought that which they had spun, both of blue, and of purple, and of scarlet, and of fine linen. Exodus 35:25
Go to Top of Page

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2005 :  12:06:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message
My family does a similar one we just call Mexican Casserole, Wendy!

2 cans refried beans
1 lb ground beef/turkey or meat substitute (optional)
Taco seasoning
taco shells (about 6, broken
1 cup Picante sauce
1 container Sour cream or plain yogurt
1-2 cups cheese (cheddar, "taco" or any appropriate cheese)

Brown (Optional) meat with taco seasonings

Layer remaining ingredients as follows (in order you'd put in dish):

Beans
meat
cheese
Taco shells
sauce
sour cream

350, 30 min, or nukeable in the microwave, too!

Additional sauce, taco shells, and maybe guacamole or other taco "garnishes" can go on the side.

My mother always serves it saying "it's not pretty, but it tastes good"

I don't even give it the disclaimer when I make it. It just tastes good.

"Choose your friends by their character and your socks by their color. Choosing your socks by their character makes no sense, and choosing your friends by their color is unthinkable."
http://RoseByAny.BlogSpot.Com
Go to Top of Page

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2005 :  12:08:29 PM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message
What's Chili Starter? Is it chili sauce?

My favourite casserole is scalloped potatoes. I find this works best in a round dish. Butter a casserole dish(or use spray on stuff), cover bottom of dish with thinly sliced potatoes. Sprinkle with salt, pepper, and your fave herbs & spices. Add next layer of potatoes. Season. Repeat until dish is almost full. Slowly pour evaporated milk into dish to cover potatoes. Sprinkle on some cheese(optional but I love using Manchego for this)and some more seasonings. Pop into oven till tender.

"An injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Martin Luther King Jr.
www.femiknits.blog-city.com
Go to Top of Page

knitz2
Permanent Resident

USA
1800 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2005 :  12:13:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit knitz2's Homepage Send knitz2 a Private Message
the casserole I make most often is the one our family called "Skunk" when I was growing up. Cook noodles & put in casserole dish, add a can of tuna and about half a can of condensed cream of mushroom soup, stir well, then spread the rest of the soup over the top. Bake until hot through and nicely browned.
Go to Top of Page

jaymeKnits
Permanent Resident

USA
1350 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2005 :  12:37:35 PM  Show Profile  Send jaymeKnits a Yahoo! Message Send jaymeKnits a Private Message
Jack cheese Casserole

1 lb sliced leftover steak or you can brown some stir-fry steak pieces (I freeze any leftover steak to use later as long as it isn't marinated or anything)
1 lb Rotini noodles
1 can cream of mushroom soup.
Milk
1 small Onion diced
1 Green Pepper chopped,
handful of Mushrooms chopped
2+ Tbs of Basil.
1/2 lb of Jack Cheese grated

preheat oven to 350
Boil the noodles
Saute the onions green pepper, and mushrooms until soft (and steak if using fresh) add the leftover steak to heat, add the soup and 2 Tbs of Basil barely heat until thinner but not hot, s&P to taste.
Mix with noodles and half the cheese
Pour into greased casserole dish, top with the rest of the cheese and sprinkle with basil. I always add a bit of milk here, I don't know how much maybe a cup or slightly more? Just enough so it looks all moist
bake until heated through, about 30 mins, you can add more milk if you need to part way through baking.

I always keep canned sliced potatoes around to make scalloped potatoes, lowers prep-time and they taste the same. I make mine with cheddar cheese and bacon in it, not very healthy but VERY good.

Then there is the usual tuna noodle but I think everyone knows that one

Jayme
Go to Top of Page

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2005 :  12:56:26 PM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message
Tinned potatoes? I've never seen or heard of such a creature. Then again just about the only tinned veg I buy is creamed corn.

"An injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Martin Luther King Jr.
Go to Top of Page

Momma78239
Permanent Resident

USA
4859 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2005 :  1:18:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit Momma78239's Homepage  Send Momma78239 a Yahoo! Message Send Momma78239 a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by mokey

What's Chili Starter? Is it chili sauce?

Chili Starter is a newish product by the Bush's bean company. Basically, it's seasoned chili beans. You add tomato sauce and ground meat to make American chili (real chili - AKA mexican chili - is a whole 'nother thing).

I started using it because my grocery store quit carrying canned vegetarian chili. You can substitute any canned chili in the recipe.

-WendyM
And all the women that were wise hearted did spin with their hands, and brought that which they had spun, both of blue, and of purple, and of scarlet, and of fine linen. Exodus 35:25
Go to Top of Page

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2005 :  2:39:39 PM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message
Thanks Wendy. Luckily I can easily get both Stagg Garden Veg and seasoned beans. Never occured to me to use them to make chili though!

Go to Top of Page

booglass
Permanent Resident

Costa Rica
1987 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2005 :  3:33:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit booglass's Homepage Send booglass a Private Message
I make a great casserole that is simply cooked white rice, chicken (shredded, chunks...however) and broccoli. I then make a basic cheese sauce with co-jack and mix it together to a nice ooey-gooey consistency. Then I sprinkle a little bit of cheese and bread crumbs and bake.

You can add mushrooms too.

Check out my blog:
http://www.booglass.typepad.com
Go to Top of Page

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2005 :  4:17:48 PM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message
Does baked rice pudding count as a casserole? If so that's tops!

I have a couple from Looney Spoons and Crazy Plates, two hilarious cook books by Janet & Greta Podleski. One is a pasta/tinned soup concoction called "Blasta from the Pasta" and the other is similar to spinach ricotta lasagne but using rotini or scoobi-do shaped pasta.

Go to Top of Page

lemons
Permanent Resident

1692 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2005 :  4:48:35 PM  Show Profile Send lemons a Private Message
Let's see. Frozen broccoli instead of noodles in tuna noodle casserole. Layers of hominy, cooked hamburger in tomato sauce (a little garlic and cumin in there, please, and salt as needed) and some cheese over that. Swiss steak baked with rice and tomatoes. Tuna noodle casserole (no broccoli this time) seasoned with Old Bay Seasoning and lots of any kind of mushrooms you have around. Packaged macaroni and cheese (I like Annie's organic) mixed with salsa - bake or not, as desired, add leftover meat as desired, or maybe shrimp. And then there's King Ranch casserole, a Fifties classic that layers un-fried corn tortillas, chopped turkey, chopped onion, cheese and a mixture of undiluted cream of mushroom and/or cream of chicken soup, preferably with chili powder added to taste - keep layering until stuff is used up. I keep one tortilla back to cut into shreds with a pair of scissors, put on the top and give it a spray of Pam (cooking oil) so they crisp up while they're in the oven.

lemons of missouri
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.52 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?