Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Weird knitting prejudices
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 7

wittyknits
Chatty Knitter

109 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2005 :  08:54:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit wittyknits's Homepage Send wittyknits a Private Message
Large needles. I would sooner knit a whole sweater on size threes (well, actually, I am right now) than do a scarf on 15s or bigger. I have to move my whole arm to knit with them (I knit English) which is not fun.
Go to Top of Page

Valk_scot
Permanent Resident

United Kingdom
1281 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2005 :  11:45:11 AM  Show Profile Send Valk_scot a Private Message
Any sort of yarn that squeaks when knitted. This includes some sorts of silk, unfortunately!

And needles getting sticky, whether with sweat or kiddy hands etc.

Val.

[img]http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/26/26_9_21.gif[/img]
Go to Top of Page

mo2grnmtn
Chatty Knitter

USA
121 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2005 :  11:55:44 AM  Show Profile  Send mo2grnmtn a Yahoo! Message Send mo2grnmtn a Private Message
I can't stand eyelash yarn...can't wash it...doesn't knit nice like I thought it would...I tried stright needles for a project and haven't gone back since...I thought I was going to poke one of my kids eyes out when they came running from another room to give me a hug...circular needles rule...I love Dpns...love icord...could knit it for hours...first thing I ever did was a braided rug for my Barbie...50 ft of icord later....can't stand knitting with Homespun or Baby clouds...although I love the results...haven't tried the bamboo needles and not sure if i will....
Go to Top of Page

KysKnitnMom
Permanent Resident

1050 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2005 :  12:26:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit KysKnitnMom's Homepage Send KysKnitnMom a Private Message
If all there was left in the knitting world was straight needles and Lion Brand Homespun yarn.. I'd quit.

Megann, in sunny San Diego.

What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about....
Go to Top of Page

kimmiebear
Gabber Extraordinaire

359 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2005 :  12:54:42 PM  Show Profile Send kimmiebear a Private Message
I can't stand straight needles or metal needles. Both hurt my wrists. Thank goodness for bamboo and wooden circulars and dpns.
Go to Top of Page

Lavender Stripes
Gabber Extraordinaire

417 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2005 :  1:42:10 PM  Show Profile Send Lavender Stripes a Private Message
I don't like acrylic, bulky yarn, straights (particularly), or novelty yarns. I dislike my obsessive tendency to count yarn (ie- OK, so I've used nine skeins on the body, and I have twenty skeins total, so... and 'so one skein gave me about so much, so if I double that then that's about one eighth of the body, so...) and I hate having to always do the math to resize patterns. (Oddly enough, I don't mind designing my own, which I do a lot) I have the opposite problem from eclair- I always find myself smaller than the smaller size. I wonder if this has something to do with my obsessive love for lace shawls- one size fits all, and shawls for me can be smaller than shawls for other people! (I'm also rather height impaired. aka short.)
Go to Top of Page

Kimaroo
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
425 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2005 :  2:58:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kimaroo's Homepage Send Kimaroo a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Lavender Stripes

I have the opposite problem from eclair- I always find myself smaller than the smaller size. I wonder if this has something to do with my obsessive love for lace shawls- one size fits all, and shawls for me can be smaller than shawls for other people! (I'm also rather height impaired. aka short.)

Are you my twin? : ) This is one of the very reasons that I knit.. I can't seem to find clothes in stores that fit me.. (Even sizes in the girl's section are wrong for me.) so I knit to fit me.. but I do get annoyed with patterns that aren't small enough. There is this pattern I want to make and the smallest size is 34".. trouble is I don't know if this extra width is needed for ease.. or if it just really is that big. For a sweater I want it to be atleast 32" but sometimes even smaller depending on the fit it is supposed to have.. 34" is just too big!

-Kim-

The Kimmish Knitting Blog
Go to Top of Page

Freshness
Warming Up

64 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2005 :  8:25:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit Freshness's Homepage Send Freshness a Private Message
I have many of the same prejudices as everyone else.
I hate eyelash, fun fur, and just about any other novelty yarn.
I'm not particulary fond of straight needles, but I have a lot of them so I use them. I'm slowly building up my inventory of circs.
I have no intention of wearing a poncho, but I have made one for my sister, and am working on another.
I don't like blocking, but understand the importance of it.
After knitting one pair of socks, though extremely warm,cozy,and easy to make, I'm not sure if I have the desire to make anymore.

I've got a blog!!
http://freshnessworld.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

knittingbaglady
Permanent Resident

USA
1207 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2005 :  03:47:35 AM  Show Profile Send knittingbaglady a Private Message
These three things drove me crazy years ago, and they still do. Seems they're here to stay.

#1. Projects toted around in plastic bags.

#2. Balls of yarn wrapped so tight you sould bowl with them.

#3. Straight needles then jammed right through the ball.

My teeth are grinding.

Martha.

"Name That Knitting Bag Contest'

http://www.greenmountainknittingbags.com/

Go to Top of Page

achrisvet
Permanent Resident

USA
5986 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2005 :  2:03:53 PM  Show Profile Send achrisvet a Private Message
quote:
#1. Projects toted around in plastic bags.

You mean like in plastic grocery bags? I do keep mine in ziploc bags, but carry them in tote bags. EZ said your knitting deserves better than to be carried around in plastic grocery or trash bags. The ziploc is to keep yarn and project clean.

Anita
My completed projects

and here

Go to Top of Page

Mermaid Knits
Permanent Resident

USA
1129 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2005 :  2:52:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mermaid Knits's Homepage Send Mermaid Knits a Private Message
Don't like to do or see bobbles. Don't like big needles or big wool. At least not on me.

Arctic-mermaid
Go to Top of Page

knittingbaglady
Permanent Resident

USA
1207 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2005 :  3:46:36 PM  Show Profile Send knittingbaglady a Private Message
I guess any plastic...I was told years ago that it's not good for yarn. It gets so humid here in Vermont in the summer, that somethimes the plastic makes everything sweat.

Martha.

Oh, I don't like bobbles either!

http://www.greenmountainknittingbags.com/
Go to Top of Page

elspethm
Chatty Knitter

USA
323 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2005 :  9:27:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit elspethm's Homepage Send elspethm a Private Message
My biggest pet peeve is those huge honkin needles. They are horrible! I'm not fond of bulky yarn either, but it doesn't bother me quite as much as the needles, since I can always use it to wrap gifts or jump rope or something!

I also hate novelty yarns. That being said I have a couple of skeins in my stash, for no good reason. But really just a few. And none of that horrible eyelash yarn. Just a couple of railroad yarn and a couple of mohair.

In the general knitting category I have no interest in felting ever again. I've done it, I've gotten over it. I also am not in love with gauge swatching and blocking but I do those because I have to.

Elspeth
Silicon Valley, CA
http://ladybug326.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

dancingbarefoot
New Pal

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2005 :  10:16:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit dancingbarefoot's Homepage Send dancingbarefoot a Private Message
Humongous needles, bulky yarn, and novelty yarns. I hate the idea that all the patterns and yarns need to be for quick 1-hour-or-less patterns. Variety is the spice of life, is it not?

I'm tired of seeing almost every knitting book and magazine say "EASY patterns" or some such on them, as if complicated patterns were a bad thing.
Go to Top of Page

oneangel77
Gabber Extraordinaire

453 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2005 :  10:22:44 PM  Show Profile Send oneangel77 a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Lavender Stripes

I dislike my obsessive tendency to count yarn (ie- OK, so I've used nine skeins on the body, and I have twenty skeins total, so... and 'so one skein gave me about so much, so if I double that then that's about one eighth of the body, so...)

I do this too and I thought I was the only one that did!
Go to Top of Page

GrandmaHatter
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
440 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2005 :  10:40:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit GrandmaHatter's Homepage Send GrandmaHatter a Private Message
I dislike circular needles- they just do not fit my vision of what knitting needles should be; I prefer straights- 12 inches or less, thank you very much. I also will not knit using needles that clash with my yarn.

Kristin

www.kristingoedert.com
Go to Top of Page

carollovesyarn
Warming Up

USA
71 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2005 :  11:56:57 PM  Show Profile Send carollovesyarn a Private Message
I loathe making I-cord too, but I love DPNs. And circulars and straights...

I don't like casting on stitches when called for in the middle of a pattern - seems funky and wiggly.

I don't like row counters that you have to take your hands off your knitting to use. I don't like counting rows.

I don't like stopping in the middle of a row, no matter what the pattern stitch is.

I get a little annoyed when people talk to me while I'm clearly counting stitches - the system at my house is I hold my leg up in the air to indicate no one is to disturb me. Yes, really. I tried counting out loud and that didn't help so now the leg goes up!

Carol
Go to Top of Page

Kimaroo
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
425 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2005 :  12:23:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit Kimaroo's Homepage Send Kimaroo a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by carollovesyarn

I get a little annoyed when people talk to me while I'm clearly counting stitches - the system at my house is I hold my leg up in the air to indicate no one is to disturb me. Yes, really. I tried counting out loud and that didn't help so now the leg goes up!

Oh I hate that!! And sometimes my husband (just to mess with me!) will say random numbers while I am counting!! GRRR!!!

To combat this.. I have developed a method between me and my calculator... I count ten stitches... I hit "+10" on my calc.. then I can just hit = every 10 sts and it keeps adding.. This way I only have to count up to 10 and I don't get lost. It helps *so* much.

-Kim-

The Kimmish Knitting Blog
Go to Top of Page

sandygirl
New Pal

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2005 :  02:02:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit sandygirl's Homepage Send sandygirl a Private Message
I have no desire to felt ANYTHING. You have to make a HUGE item, then shrink it down to nothing, and you can't see the knitting stitches anymore. You can't even PROVE that you made it! And, by the way, you can buy felt at the craft store. lol
Go to Top of Page

sandygirl
New Pal

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2005 :  02:15:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit sandygirl's Homepage Send sandygirl a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kimaroo

[quote]Originally posted by carollovesyarn

I met someone at a knitting circle who gave me a great idea for my counting woes. She said to put a marker after every 20 stitches. What a concept. By the way...here's another pet peeve. I hate those stitch markers with the dangling charms. They just get in the way of your knitting, and sometimes snag the yarn!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 7 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.19 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?