Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Revisiting the mitered square
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Introduce yourself!
 Hello from Ontario, Canada
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

iamiknit
New Pal

Canada
35 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2005 :  08:31:34 AM  Show Profile Send iamiknit a Private Message
Hi everyone, I've just joined and had the nerve to post. My needles are much more user friendly than my computer. I live in southern ontario, just outside of Kitchener-Waterloo. I work (if you can call it that) in our LYS. It always seems so funny that I get paid to do what I would be doing anyways. Right now I'm excited about the Needlearts Festival in Toronto this weekend-you never know what you might find that you didn't know you needed. I'm going to be in Toronto for a few days next week and was wondering if anyone knows of any great yarn shops to check out. thanks, karen

KellyKnits
Permanent Resident

USA
1608 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2005 :  08:32:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit KellyKnits's Homepage Send KellyKnits a Private Message
Welcome to the forums! Don't be nervous around us.

Kelly
Go to Top of Page

minh
Permanent Resident and Destasher Extraordinnaire

USA
3457 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2005 :  08:39:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit minh's Homepage Send minh a Private Message
Hi Karen,

Here's a thread about Toronto yarn shops:
http://www.knittersreview.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=35326&SearchTerms=toronto

Specific addresses and reviews can be found here too:
http://knitting.about.com/library/blontario.htm

You're a lucky person to work in a LYS!!

--Minh

Go to Top of Page

iamiknit
New Pal

Canada
35 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2005 :  09:39:34 AM  Show Profile Send iamiknit a Private Message
thanks for the info on shops. I'm printing off the maps to see how many I can hit while poor hubby works to pay for my addiction. I'll let you know if I find any treasures. karen
Go to Top of Page

knittingbaglady
Permanent Resident

USA
1207 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2005 :  7:56:46 PM  Show Profile Send knittingbaglady a Private Message
Welcome,
My mother was born in Kitchener! 1926.

I used to work in yarn shops...love it.

And everyone here is friendly & helpful...so post anytime.

Martha.

http://www.greenmountainknittingbags.com/
Go to Top of Page

edelsma
Permanent Resident

Canada
1182 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2005 :  04:51:44 AM  Show Profile Send edelsma a Private Message
Welcome, Karen, from Waterloo.
How outside of K-W are you? Hope you had a good weekend in Toronto.
Don't be nervous, be daring!

Margaret

My blog: http://edelsma.blog.ca
~~~
When you meet someone better than yourself, turn your thoughts to becoming his equal. When you meet someone not as good as you are, look within and examine your own self.... Confucius~~~

Go to Top of Page

eae1969@yahoo.com

USA
Posted - 10/17/2005 :  06:31:06 AM  Show Profile  Send eae1969@yahoo.com a Yahoo! Message Send eae1969@yahoo.com a Private Message
Hi Karen, welcome to the forum. I'm from Detroit, but I took myself on a yarn shopping trip to Toronto in August. I first went to Romni Wools and spent a couple hours there (till it closed). They have SOOOOOOOOOO much yarn! The store is cluttered from floor to ceiling with yarn and patterns. The next day, I went to Lettuce Knit and Village Yarns. Everyone at all 3 stores were very nice and helpful, and I purchased from all of the stores. This was the first of many trips to come. I love Toronto! Funny story--I got stopped by the Customs agent in Sarnia, and after he checked my trunk and saw all the bags of yarn, he asked me to write down the names of all the yarn shops I had visited. His wife is a knitter, and he thought it would be a good idea to take her on a shopping trip to Toronto for their upcoming anniversary!
Ericka
Go to Top of Page

Tangled Jane
Seriously Hooked

Canada
750 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2005 :  07:46:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit Tangled Jane's Homepage Send Tangled Jane a Private Message
Welcome, from a far Easterner! This a great group. I'm sure you'll love it here. I've only been in the fold for a couple of weeks and already I'm working up to being a 'chatty knitter'! Jane
http://www.janethornley.com/journal.php
Go to Top of Page

iamiknit
New Pal

Canada
35 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2005 :  5:30:23 PM  Show Profile Send iamiknit a Private Message
Hi Margaret, I live in New Hamburg but I work in Waterloo - at Cloth & Clay. If you are from the area maybe we've met. Are you part of the KW Guild?

Erica-your border crossing story made me laugh. Last summer for my birthday my husband and I took his motorcycle and did a 6 day trip through Vermont, New York, Mass. 8 yarn shops in 6 days -HEAVEN!!! We only had a rack on the back of the bike so I bought very carefully. Luckily my addiction is books and they don't take up as much room. Lots of books and patterns and some alpaca (I love alpaca) When we were crossing back into Canada and told the customs guy what we had done and how much I spent and got in such a small space he just laughed. I think he thought we were totally bonkers. But my husband sure did earn some brownie points with some of the shop owners when they heard what he was doing for me.
Go to Top of Page

edelsma
Permanent Resident

Canada
1182 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2005 :  05:58:45 AM  Show Profile Send edelsma a Private Message
Karen!!!!!
Now I know who you are! I was at your shop maybe 3 weeks ago and you told me you were going to look for Interweave Summer 2004 for me.

Hahaha[:00] What a small world, huh?

See you when I visit Cloth & Clay next.

Margaret

My blog: http://edelsma.blog.ca
~~~
When you meet someone better than yourself, turn your thoughts to becoming his equal. When you meet someone not as good as you are, look within and examine your own self.... Confucius~~~

Go to Top of Page

Aquarius_Justme
New Pal

Canada
2 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2005 :  07:46:50 AM  Show Profile Send Aquarius_Justme a Private Message
Hi Karen
I just joined the site today and am excited to learn new ideas. I am not an advanced knitter by any means, but I figure no harm in learning.
I am in the Windsor area and hoping to meet good friends to exchange new and different patterns.
If you know anyone in my area please feel free to let me know.
Happy Knitting
Marie
Go to Top of Page

aduncan365
New Pal

Canada
19 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2005 :  04:53:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit aduncan365's Homepage Send aduncan365 a Private Message
Hi Karen,
Welcome to the forum! I've probably seen you before but we haven't met. I'm Amy, I live in Cambridge and am a new member of the K-W Guild. I'll look for you at the next meeting and I'm sure I'll see you at Cloth and Clay - lucky, lucky gal!
Take care and enjoy!

Happiness never goes out of fashion.
Go to Top of Page

bonecho
New Pal

Canada
7 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2005 :  8:30:54 PM  Show Profile Send bonecho a Private Message
I am from the Oshawa area, and a learning knitter too.

Knitting buddy from Mississauga(much more experienced than me), and I are planning a road trip to check out shops. Could you give directions to Cloth and Clay...what do you carry?? Any other suggestions to visit in the K-W, Cambridge, Georgetown. Hope to go to Camilla Valley too. Was there in the summer but unfortunately had hubby and kids waiting in car!!

Thanks,
Go to Top of Page

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2005 :  9:49:47 PM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message
Welcome from the western Toronto burbs!

Bonecho, there are loads of shops right in Toronto, which is half way for you and your friend. I suggest taking the train to Union and then branching out to all the different shops. If there are specific yarns you're looking for let me know and I'll try my best to refer to the shop most likely to have them.

"An injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Martin Luther King Jr.
www.femiknits.blog-city.com
Go to Top of Page

AuntieAnnie
New Pal

3 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2005 :  6:46:12 PM  Show Profile Send AuntieAnnie a Private Message
Hi Karen, I'm brand new here and just read your post. I'm here along the St. Lawrence River, about 50 km east of Kingston.

How did you enjoy the Needlework Festival? A friend & I took the train for the day and had the most wonderful time.

Lucky you to work in your LYS!

I have visited Romni Wools in Toronto and could spend days in there! Did you check it out? Never been to any of the other shops that have been mentioned here though.

Annie
Go to Top of Page

ozknitter
Permanent Resident

Australia
3290 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2005 :  5:57:13 PM  Show Profile Send ozknitter a Private Message
Hi Karen,

Welcome to Knitters Review Forums and glad to have you with us.

I'm sure you will find many friendly and happy people who enjoy the same things you do.

Knit in peace and harmony.

Rose in Melbourne, Australia.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.62 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.